What my salesman said about MFT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What my salesman said about MFT

I can believe Apple is involved, if only as a consultant on interface design. Apple does interface design VERY well, Microsoft less so, and the folks at Ford gave a good effort on MFT but it failed for whatever reason.

The Sync system was a significant investment and the new WA7 is likely a small step for the design and engineering staff- not having to learn a completely new OS allows them to develop a new interface more quickly, and with better quality. Our input, and that of the engineers now using the system daily, will hopefully yield tremendous improvement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can believe Apple is involved, if only as a consultant on interface design. Apple does interface design VERY well, Microsoft less so, and the folks at Ford gave a good effort on MFT but it failed for whatever reason.

The Sync system was a significant investment and the new WA7 is likely a small step for the design and engineering staff- not having to learn a completely new OS allows them to develop a new interface more quickly, and with better quality. Our input, and that of the engineers now using the system daily, will hopefully yield tremendous improvement.

Apple's involvement is more likely to do with the API for the Iphone integration piece.

Ford Apple and Microsoft. All were missing is a company that starts with E. Then we would have the acronym FAME. Microsoft and Apple working together. HMMMMMMM..... I call Bullshit. That is all. OH I GOT IT ENRON ...........

Ford - it's their car
Apple - assistance with API for iphones makes sense
Microsoft - underlying OS - makes sense
Explorer -

Yeap - it's fame!! ;)

It should be FAM-OS

Ford
Apple
Microsoft
Operating
System

Ford - it's their car
Apple - assistance with API for iphones makes sense
Microsoft - underlying OS - makes sense
Explorer -

Yeap - it's fame!! ;)

Depends on what you consider "assistance." I doubt that Apple is involved to any greater extent than supplying whatever API info that they supply to any other licensed developer. The suggestion that "the re-write was being handled by ford internally, apple, and microsoft" (as if Apple is somehow involved with MFT directly) is ludicrous.

Based on Ford's steep JD Power drop in quality scores, and the overwhelming bad publicity that was generated, I'm betting that a direct order came down from the CEO. MFT will be fixed and it will be fixed right. No excuses. Cost is not a factor (within reason, of course) because the cost of bad publicity and lost sales will be much higher. Just do it and get it done by the end of Q1 2012.

I agree with dbrook1. If there really is a fix in the works, it's smart to leak it out to the sales staff and have them leak it out to potential (and existing) customers. Save whatever sales you can save and soothe hard feelings among the early-adopters.

Based on Ford's steep JD Power drop in quality scores, and the overwhelming bad publicity that was generated, I'm betting that a direct order came down from the CEO. MFT will be fixed and it will be fixed right. No excuses. Cost is not a factor (within reason, of course) because the cost of bad publicity and lost sales will be much higher. Just do it and get it done by the end of Q1 2012.

I agree with dbrook1. If there really is a fix in the works, it's smart to leak it out to the sales staff and have them leak it out to potential (and existing) customers. Save whatever sales you can save and soothe hard feelings among the early-adopters.

If Ford is suggesting their sales people comment on future updates and fixes, why aren't Rebecca or Cory commenting here? They are customer care, and technology support, why wouldn't they just put the rumors to bed? It makes no sense that a sales rep is going to have a better knowledge of future software development plans than someone within the IVT team =P

Depends on what you consider "assistance." I doubt that Apple is involved to any greater extent than supplying whatever API info that they supply to any other licensed developer. The suggestion that "the re-write was being handled by ford internally, apple, and microsoft" (as if Apple is somehow involved with MFT directly) is ludicrous.

They have the new iphone coming out in a few weeks apparently - maybe there is some new functionality?? I agree that Apple is nowhere near the OS of MFT.

Took my Explorer in for LuxCare (I know) and told him my TravelLink issues, still not resolved going to do a master reset right now. ANYWAYS He did say that there was a major update coming out and I asked if it was going to be V2.12 and he said no more like version 3.

If Ford is suggesting their sales people comment on future updates and fixes, why aren't Rebecca or Cory commenting here? They are customer care, and technology support, why wouldn't they just put the rumors to bed? It makes no sense that a sales rep is going to have a better knowledge of future software development plans than someone within the IVT team =P

I think Cory and Rebecca are not allowed to comment because Ford knows that they'll get bombarded with hundreds of questions about every waking detail of the update. They'll also be asked for specific dates which they won't be able to give since testing could always reveal more/new bugs that would have to be fixed before it's released.

Bottom line, it's in Fords best interest to make the system as stable and flawless as possible. A solid working MFT alone could be the reason why someone chooses an Explorer in this tech heavy world we all live in now.

I think Cory and Rebecca are not allowed to comment because Ford knows that they'll get bombarded with hundreds of questions about every waking detail of the update. They'll also be asked for specific dates which they won't be able to give since testing could always reveal more/new bugs that would have to be fixed before it's released.

Bottom line, it's in Fords best interest to make the system as stable and flawless as possible. A solid working MFT alone could be the reason why someone chooses an Explorer in this tech heavy world we all live in now.

In my opinion the only way to truly test something like this is to get the beta version into the hands of people who didn't design it and let them use it. It's easy enough to have people sign a non disclosure agreement and unless someone digs into the menu's they aren't going to know what version of MFT is loaded.

So Ford, if you really want issues fixed, put the new version into the hans or real customers including tech geeks and "normal" people.

This whole MFT thing really brought me back a few years when Bill Gates and Ford discussed the auto industry. I guess Ford decided to follow their own words.

At a recent computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated,

‘If Ford had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.’

In response to Bill ‘s comments, Ford issued a press release stating:

If Ford had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash………Twice a day.

2.. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3… Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off
the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall
the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive – but would run on only five percent
of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single ‘This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation’ warning
light.

7. The airbag system would ask ‘Are you sure?’ before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned
the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same
manner as the old car.

10. You’d have to press the ‘Start’ button to turn the engine off.

PS – I ‘d like to add that when all else fails, you could call ‘customer service’ and be instructed how to fix your car yourself!!!!

I think Cory and Rebecca are not allowed to comment because Ford knows that they'll get bombarded with hundreds of questions about every waking detail of the update.

I have no doubt that the Ford reps on this board are constrained with regards to what information they can discuss, which is why all you really get from them is "we take customer satisfaction very seriously and we're hard at work to make the improvements that our customers want..." and so on. Not their fault.

That said, the last place I'd look for reliable information would be a salesman. Particularly a salesman who was (a) trying to sell me something, or (b) trying to deflect complaints from a sale already made. These guys will tell you whatever it takes to appease you.

That said, the last place I'd look for reliable information would be a salesman. Particularly a salesman who was (a) trying to sell me something, or (b) trying to deflect complaints from a sale already made. These guys will tell you whatever it takes to appease you.

Normally I'd agree with you (and I certainly wouldn't rely on them for technical details) but we've heard this from two separate sources now. Ford would undoubtedly prep their dealers if there was a new MFT coming out.

I'm beginning to give some credence to the fact that there is a new product coming out (though development by Apple other than with respect to assistance on APIs is laughable) and I'm hoping it will remove Flash. It was on Alan's high priority list, and I think when he shouts he gets resources applied.

Normally I'd agree with you (and I certainly wouldn't rely on them for technical details) but we've heard this from two separate sources now. Ford would undoubtedly prep their dealers if there was a new MFT coming out.

I'm beginning to give some credence to the fact that there is a new product coming out (though development by Apple other than with respect to assistance on APIs is laughable) and I'm hoping it will remove Flash. It was on Alan's high priority list, and I think when he shouts he gets resources applied.

I've owned my 2012 for a month, my salesman (who I like and believe what he said below), called yesterday to check in and ask if everything is ok. I said everything is great. Then he said, all on his own, no prodding from me, that there was Ford Reps at his dealership yesterday and they briefed the sales/service staff that a complete redesign of MFT is coming out. I asked when and he said 2-3 months, but I think he was guessing. But anyway, it looks like Ford is really going to give us something new.

I've owned my 2012 for a month, my salesman (who I like and believe what he said below), called yesterday to check in and ask if everything is ok. I said everything is great. Then he said, all on his own, no prodding from me, that there was Ford Reps at his dealership yesterday and they briefed the sales/service staff that a complete redesign of MFT is coming out. I asked when and he said 2-3 months, but I think he was guessing. But anyway, it looks like Ford is really going to give us something new.

I have no doubt that a new version will be released. The question is when and how good will it be? Remember when version 2.11 was the version that was going to "make everyone happy?" Well it didnt.

If all of these dealers are willing to divulge this info...will someone please get it in writing! I’ll be a little less skeptic when I see ink on paper.

I and some others have heard April.

I understand that MFT needs to be fixed but I hope Ford does not do away with the quad corner setup. I really like the color coded four corners of information.

I and some others have heard April.

I understand that MFT needs to be fixed but I hope Ford does not do away with the quad corner setup. I really like the color coded four corners of information.

I'm on the record as being skeptical about this whole MFT overhaul notion, but no matter what I can't imagine that they'd fundamentally alter the basic interface. I have to think that any changes/fixes would be at a level beneath the UI.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The MFT is a great product if it had good bones to begin with. Hopping off the Microsoft OS is a great idea. They need to eliminate the slow and buggy Flash! There's a reason why Steve Jobs didn't include flash in the iPhones! Maybe code the MFT in a more efficient manner.

Back