• Register Today It's free!

Odometer

aznkidlee

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 Explorer XLT BLK 205A
Just out of curiosity, did anybody notice that our Odometer holds 5 digits. That means when we hit 100,000 miles, it will go back to 0 since there are only 5 place holders. 100,000 miles does not take the long to achieved compared to 1,000,000 miles to reset the Odometer in the old days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is the decimal goes away when you hit 100k and you lose the tenth-mile view. That or Ford didn't expect anyone to keep the Explorer that long considering all the MFT, a-pillar, windshield whistle issues. I'd probably drive mine off a cliff before I hit 100k.

That means life of the car is only upto 99999 miles :)

That means life of the car is only upto 99999 miles :)

Yeah, when it hits that 100,000th mile, the car will completely fall apart:

MFT will cease to fully function, with the interface slowing down, not registering input, and rebooting itself at random. The GPS will lose the satellites. Navigation may freak out and have you 'driving' in the woods next to the road. Sirius will stop updating. The windows will get greasy streaks on them. The gas pedal will start to vibrate. The A-pillar covers will buzz and/or eject themselves. The car will cease to get the EPA rated mileage, and then the gas tank will balk at you trying to refill it. When it rains, it will sound like you are in a steel drum. Some of that rain water might get into your door, or spill on your head if you don't open the door carefully. It might start overheating or smell like burning oil under acceleration.

But don't worry, none of that will happen until that 100,000th mile!! :D

I keed, I keed. I still like the Ex the most of the cars we have shopped so far.

Just out of curiosity, did anybody notice that our Odometer holds 5 digits. That means when we hit 100,000 miles, it will go back to 0 since there are only 5 place holders. 100,000 miles does not take the long to achieved compared to 1,000,000 miles to reset the Odometer in the old days.
This was brought up several months ago but I don't recall seeing any answer to it. Perhaps this is something that Cory could check into. Cory??

EDITED... Initially wrote 'what's the question? :p:' not thinking it's a big deal but googling it I guess I understand the question as is the odo gonna show the 6th digit for proper reporting/disclosure when transferring ownership?

guess gonna have to hear from cory :)

googling odometer law there doesnt seem to be any law for displaying... just law on proper reporting. My guess it rolls back to zero and it's the honor system for the seller to give accurate disclosure to a private seller when the seller states the mileage on the title. The car has exceeded warranty by that time for ford to care how they report it to a private seller. And a dealer will plug into it to verify the claimed mileage.

This was brought up several months ago but I don't recall seeing any answer to it. Perhaps this is something that Cory could check into. Cory??

its a computer screen. Why wouldn't it just add the digit?

it could... but the odometer originally showed with 5 digits with leading zeros.
you would think that there would be a leading zero shown for the 6th place...
unless they are hiding it for asthetic reasons.

its a computer screen. Why wouldn't it just add the digit?

Whoever hits the 100,000 mile mark, better post a pic of it.

i noticed this last week, and i live next to a gas station, so they offered me all the gas i need to get it to 100,000 miles to find the answer. It's been running non stop for 5 days and its almost at 100,000. once it hits i'll post what happens..... only prob now is it's a lease so how do i rollback the odometer so i don't have to pay for miles over 36,000????

i noticed this last week, and i live next to a gas station, so they offered me all the gas i need to get it to 100,000 miles to find the answer. It's been running non stop for 5 days and its almost at 100,000. once it hits i'll post what happens..... only prob now is it's a lease so how do i rollback the odometer so i don't have to pay for miles over 36,000????

Just jack it up and run it in reverse! :D

If you switch it to Kilometers instead of miles you will get there faster. 100,000 miles = 160,930 km or 100,000 km = only 62,139 miles.:)

Legally, I don't think you can roll the mileage back since the engine, the most important component of the vehicle, will actually have 100,000 miles on it. Changing that could be considered fraud??

Shhiiiiiiiiittttttt!!! I was at 998,856 miles and my engine seized from redlining for 5 days straight........ Sorry guys.. Lol.

Shhiiiiiiiiittttttt!!! I was at 998,856 miles and my engine seized from redlining for 5 days straight........ Sorry guys.. Lol.
I believe this whole thing is nothing but a joke. All you needed was 100,000 miles to roll over and according to you, the mileage was just short of a million miles. I also don't believe the engine would seize because of a slight incline. :thumbdwn:

I thought it was clear I was joking... Do you really think someone would let their car run for days just to see what happens after 99,999 miles??? And yes, the typo earlier was a slip of the iPhone.... Lmao

I thought it was clear I was joking... Do you really think someone would let their car run for days just to see what happens after 99,999 miles??? And yes, the typo earlier was a slip of the iPhone.... Lmao
Sometimes now a days you just can't be too sure. ;) Didn't mean to offend. I've had mine since mid March and don't have 6000km (3700 mi) on it yet. Since I fully retired in June, I don't drive it every day. That is why I'm thinking of possibly buying it out at the end of the 4 yr lease. Unless I go on some long trips, it should only have about 25,000 miles on it by then.

No offense taken, just felt bad you thought I was serious.... No worries. I've had mine since feb and only have 6700 miles on it (and that's only cause I drove on a 2300 mile vacation in September, so I won't be the one getting to 100,000 first......) lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back