fog lights are smoked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fog lights are smoked

Alright, my stock fog lights are cracked yellowed and all around just beat. I wanna get a replacement set(just a generic set from advance walmart harbor freight etc.) What I wanna know is, can I just cut the stock fog light wiring and spice into the new wires, the sets I see have to leads coming off of them.

Anything specific I need to do? Its a 98 XLT with the rectangle fog lights if that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. The OEM wiring has a hot and ground, of course. Most aftermarket ones are self grounding at the mounting stud.

Why not just pick up a set of replacements off ebay made by depo, instead of hacking in some walmart type?

anyways yes its just a 2 wire job...

Link to this seller?

80 bucks? i bought a set of fog lights to make some external reverse lights for $20 at autozone and now that i know this ill buy another set to replace my stupid ones in the front that have mud in them and are fogged up... thanks for the info btw

Pilot makes some rectangular ones that are pretty decent and are probably an exact match in terms of appearance:

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Perform...8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1320685965&sr=1-78

I have the older 1055C models, which had a fog/driving pattern (no bulb shield but semi fluted lens) that puts out a lot of light, but still doesn't glare. Excellent as auxillary headlights. I think the newer 2055C has more of a fog pattern with it's fluted lens, but it's still pretty good, metal housing with a glass lens. Takes a standard H3 bulb. You may want to use silicone around the rubber bulb boot to keep water from getting in the back. Not sure if you can modify the factory bracket to work, you may have to attach it with the included bracket or rig something up between the two.

Overall not bad for $20. They used to sell these at walmart, but autozone might have 'em for $25-30 or so.

Pilot makes some rectangular ones that are pretty decent and are probably an exact match in terms of appearance:

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Perform...8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1320685965&sr=1-78

I have the older 1055C models, which had a fog/driving pattern (no bulb shield but semi fluted lens) that puts out a lot of light, but still doesn't glare. Excellent as auxillary headlights. I think the newer 2055C has more of a fog pattern with it's fluted lens, but it's still pretty good, metal housing with a glass lens. Takes a standard H3 bulb. You may want to use silicone around the rubber bulb boot to keep water from getting in the back. Not sure if you can modify the factory bracket to work, you may have to attach it with the included bracket or rig something up between the two.

Overall not bad for $20. They used to sell these at walmart, but autozone might have 'em for $25-30 or so.

Those are great lights I have 3 pair of them on my truck right now(walmart had them on clearence for 10$ a pair!) I have 2 pair forward facing on the roof and a pair rear facing for reverse lights.

I was going to put a pair of them in my fog light holes but they weren't tall enough to fill the hole and looked a little silly. I'm keeping my eye out for a pair of OEM ones at the local pull a part.

Back