Phony video on Ford Website

VinceL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
So I was checking out the ecoboost video on the Explorer page at the Ford website.

At the beginning of the video, the Explorer is taking a turn, but is leaning into the turn. What??? Physics pretty much dictates that the Ex would lean away from the turn. Phony!! :D

Also, in the next shot of the Ex cruising down the tree lined country lane, it looks like the Ex almost ran off the edge of the road. It is kinda funny.

Am I being picky, or is that video just goofy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where's the link to the video??? :D

I can't link to it unfortunately, it is an embedded video. This will get you to the Explorer page:

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/

Under the picture of the Ex, right below the color choices, look for the Ecoboost video. It should be the second one on the left.

It is titled "The New 2.0L I4 Ecoboost (TM) Engine 28 hwy mpg", running time 0:57

Hope that helps.

So I was checking out the ecoboost video on the Explorer page at the Ford website.

At the beginning of the video, the Explorer is taking a turn, but is leaning into the turn. What??? Physics pretty much dictates that the Ex would lean away from the turn. Phony!! :D

Also, in the next shot of the Ex cruising down the tree lined country lane, it looks like the Ex almost ran off the edge of the road. It is kinda funny.

It is all about perception. Most likely the turn is slightly banked and down hill which would result in the vehicle squatting into the turn, whereas a flat curve would cause the body to squat away from the turn. In the next shot it got right next to the edge of the pavement, but I wouldn't say it almost ran off of the road. It made no sudden movements that would indicate that it wasn't intentional. The video shot may have needed it to be as far over as possible to avoid an number of things like glare or to properly frame the video.

I wholeheartedly stand by my opinion that the video is goofy and appears 'fakey' :D

Its just as Ridicoulous as the folks who jump from roofs into basketball hoops as featured on Rob Dyderks show "Ridicoulouness!"

Yeah I think its fake - the lighting/shading/shadows just doesnt seem to fit 100%.

WOW! That is BAD!!!! Like IZwack said, even the reflections are all wrong.

So I guess I am not going crazy after all! :D

It is weird that they went through all that trouble though.

I think my favorite part is when the car jerks to the left slightly as it gets too close to the edge of the roadway. Maybe he was adjusting the cooling of the driver seat using MFT, or trying to get the navigation to accept voice commands! lol

Yeah the leaning turn scene is definitely animated. I dont know they needed to spend so much money on animation for simple driving scenes.

Yeah the leaning turn scene is definitely animated. I dont know they needed to spend so much money on animation for simple driving scenes.

My guess is the video was probably contracted out (mostly for the engine animations) and that company didnt have a real explorer on hand. And the contract probably didnt mention that Ford would let them borrow a real Explorer so they went virtual.

something is off in the vid. things dont seem to match, its kinda like the voices in godzilla movies not matching up with the actors.

there is a road here where I live that is an "S" on the uphill side of the road it is a left hand turn, off camber.
the house that is right on the exit side of the turn replaces their fence at least 20-30 times a year.

people think it's a straight shot up the hill till they get into that turn and loose it.

that road is a down hill "S" that is cambered to the right side of the road. look at the turn in the back ground. it is camber to the left.

plus that explorer is doing about 25 miles an hour to shoot that promo.

it's also late in the afternoon, tree shadows are long across the road, meaning the sun is low in the sky.

something is off in the vid. things dont seem to match, its kinda like the voices in godzilla movies not matching up with the actors.

Voices not matching? What are you talking about. Surely you are not suggesting that the actors weren't speaking English? ;)

there is a road here where I live that is an "S" on the uphill side of the road it is a left hand turn, off camber.
the house that is right on the exit side of the turn replaces their fence at least 20-30 times a year.

people think it's a straight shot up the hill till they get into that turn and loose it.

that road is a down hill "S" that is cambered to the right side of the road. look at the turn in the back ground. it is camber to the left.

plus that explorer is doing about 25 miles an hour to shoot that promo.

it's also late in the afternoon, tree shadows are long across the road, meaning the sun is low in the sky.

Trust me, that is not a real explorer. It is animated, as are most of the other explorer videos

I agree with you....it looks like the video was taken somewhere else then they superimposed it on the a video of a road they liked. Problem is, the car is leaning the wrong way and it looks like to me it was doctored in....The rest of the video looks okay. Might have an issue with the video that precluded them from reshooting the commercial...

Dang, did Ford get anything right with the new Explorer?:confused:

Who cares....

I do, dammit! What's your point? ;)

Nah really, just having some fun, no need to be a party pooper, lol. Just thought I would post something silly. This place can get too serious at times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I though I saw Bigfoot just inside the treeline:D

Back