iPhone 4S and MFT WORKS great! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iPhone 4S and MFT WORKS great!

In case Rebecca or Cory are reading this thread...

Feature request for 'Voice' button on the steering wheel:

Tap voice button for normal operation
Hold voice button for 3 seconds to activate cell phone voice control

Hi, w1kedz!

I'll submit it as an efficiency proposal, but I can't guarantee anything. You can always post your idea on TheFordStory.com ;)

So whats the final verdict from those who are now using an iPhone 4s with iOS5........does MFT text to speech work now or not?

MAP protocol is alive or dead still?

Hey, Sgt1411!

No, the iPhone 4S doesn't text via SYNC/MFT. From what I've read, if you hit the Home button on the phone to activate SIRI, MFT thinks it's a phone call and allows you to speak to SIRI.

Unfortunately, it is not just my system (I wish it were, then I could just get it fixed and move on). This is just one of the bugs that still has to be fixed hopefully in the next "left of the decimal point" software release.

I agree, the few times I used Siri, I was surprised it cut in to car audio right away. I have not found Siri as useful as some (speech recognition still has issues) but it is better than Ford's built in system and is really good for a first effort (well second anyway, I got the Siri app for my iPhone 3GS before Apple bought Siri). I am wondering about Apple's announcement that they are working on car integration and Siri. I wish we could get more details because of they integrate it with Ford Sync/MFT (which I kindof doubt), I would be really happy.

Please private message me your VIN and the details of what's going on with your MFT, Rocketfan. I'll look into your concern and we can go from there.

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, Sgt1411!

No, the iPhone 4S doesn't text via SYNC/MFT. From what I've read, if you hit the Home button on the phone to activate SIRI, MFT thinks it's a phone call and allows you to speak to SIRI.
Rebecca

Rebecca is right on! That is what I have found also.

Unless your in Canada where SIRI doesn't work with anything location based because they haven't added those features yet.

Once again Canadians get reduced functionality.

For those getting the 4s remember even though its marketed as a "4G" smartphone there is no 4G modem (internal radio hardware) inside so it doesn't work on 4G networks like LTE (Long Term Evolution). Its still a 3.5G phone.
Well technically "current" LTE isn't 4G either, more like 3G+ as well. AT&T's hspa+ network as been showing same or faster speeds in many cases vs LTE. Plus hspa+ doesn't have the massive battery drain that LTE does, pretty smart when you think about it. We won't see true 4G until around 2013 as networks will be doing major updating for the technology in the next 12-24 months.

AT&Ts web site shows/markets it is a 4G device.
That's b/c AT&T/Sprint/Verizon etc are all calling their "faster" networks (LTE, WiMax, hspa+ etc) 4G b/c majority of people don't know the difference and just associate 4G with being faster.

It's all 3G right now, even LTE (think of it as a tweeked 3G)

So whats the final verdict from those who are now using an iPhone 4s with iOS5........does MFT text to speech work now or not?

MAP protocol is alive or dead still?

It's mostly been covered...but no MAP profile. The 4S has BT 4.0 (they have a new name, it escapes me at the moment). The best side, as mentioned, even when the screen is locked, hold the home button, you will hear a beep. Say "read my text" or the like and Siri will do so. Then you can reply...better than MFT...in REAL WORDS not canned responses. The voice recognition is damn good, too. I got the bright idea to try redial hoping it would activate Siri, no go. Home button it is for now. There must be a way to get Siri on speed dial...I'll report if I find something.

Another note, my BB 9850 (torch2) does read my texts with MFT. All this does is frustrate me since I get my texts on the iphone. I HATE that I can't pair two devices at the same time.

Perhaps the Ford team could find some better use for the telephone button on the steering wheel- give it the default function equal to a 3-second press of the voice button.

Hi, w1kedz!

I'll submit it as an efficiency proposal, but I can't guarantee anything. You can always post your idea on TheFordStory.com ;)

Hey, Sgt1411!

Please private message me your VIN and the details of what's going on with your MFT, Rocketfan. I'll look into your concern and we can go from there.

Rebecca

I submitted the idea to Apple to allow for a speed dial to be assigned to Siri. I'd love to be able to tell MFT "call Siri" rather than push the home button.

I submitted the idea to Apple to allow for a speed dial to be assigned to Siri. I'd love to be able to tell MFT "call Siri" rather than push the home button.

Good idea, but it's really not that bad, I just keep the phone upside down in the cup holder next to me and press it whenever I need to do something. It's not very hard.

But I'm with you it'd be nice if ford or apple made it easier for us to use siri, as it is a very helpful tool to have with you.

I don't have the iPhone - (yet) - so just to clarify for me....
To use Siri to send/read a text while driving, you first have to push the "home" button - this is on the phone? Then to disconnect, do you push the button again? What are the steps?
Thanks.

To use Siri to send/read a text while driving, you first have to push the "home" button - this is on the phone? Then to disconnect, do you push the button again? What are the steps?
Thanks.

Although I have not tried this while driving the answer is yes, you have to push the home button on the phone to activate Siri. Of the top of my head, I don't think you have to push the home button again to disconnect...will double check this afternoon. I "think" there isw a voice command do cancel but not sure.

I don't have the iPhone - (yet) - so just to clarify for me....
Thanks.

Yes you have to push on the home button on the phone to activate siri. And then again after your question is done if you want to ask it more. Sending an email or text you only have to press it once but it will ask you multiple things.

But lets say you want to ask it, what's the weather? it will answer and then you have to press the button again if you want to ask it to remind you to grab your jacket when you return home.

if you watch my video you can sorta see when I press it

To end the "call" as MFT acts it is you can do one of two things. hit the home button once to get out of siri, or hit the hang up button on your steering wheel.

hope this helps

Back