• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Emergency

mavram

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer, a couple weeks ago we were going to get groceries, and it started missing and the check engine light came on. Just before we got there it started flashing. When we came back out it seemed fine and started doing the same thing again. I called dad down to have a look we took a test drive out the driveway and all seemed fine, he wanted a shot at driving so drove another 1000 feet and it stalled. It has yet to start again. I seems to have both fuel and spark. I have changed the coil module which was giving less than perfect readings. So far nothing. It turns over great, but does not fire, and you can smell fuel real well. Any solid ideas, am on a tight budget so trying to stay on the cheap side. Also computer is not reporting any error codes, think the computer got reset when cleaning battery terminals. 3 sensors reports everything ok, the other 5 need more data.

Thanks
D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on the cheaper side,

when was the last time you change the fuel filter?
MAF needs cleanup
PVC valve

wait for that check engine to go off again and check the code.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer

The fuel filter I am not sure of, but getting fuel does not seem to be the problem.

I was going to check the MAF, do you know what pins should have what values?

Will check the PCV valve

What if the check engine light does not go out, the reader keeps saying the explorer needs to run to get its data, but it will not start . . . . UGH!

The ones that report no errors are the Misfire, Fuel, and Comp monitors

The Catalyst, Evap, O2 Snsr, O2 Htr, and EGR have not data currently.

Thanks

you only need to clean the MAF (remove it and spray with MAF cleaner)

did you check your battery voltage? crankshaft position sensor?

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer

** Update **

Cleaned the MAF - - No Change

Battery Voltage was show a tad over 12 volts

Any easy way to check the crankshaft position sensor?

If it were crankshaft sensor you wouldn't have spark. Did u pull any plugs? Compression check?

How many miles on the truck? Was there and engine noise prior (like ticking or knocking)?

One other thing.... it helps you if you state more specifics of the truck. V6? V8? miles? Related Mods?

On the matter of camshaft position sensor. My 98 4.0 ran (seemingly) just fine with the camshaft position sensor not plugged in at all. The book says the results of a bad sensor can produce a long list of possible behaviors including no start, stumbling, chugging, stalling, and more. With the sensor unplugged it appears the comp runs on some kind of default mode. I'm told it can cause poor running, bad gas mileage, and piston burn out. ;)

Replies to Questions / Comments:

I know we were getting spark at the coil pack, not sure if he checked the plugs or not.

Compression Check – No

Miles – 105K, a few hours before it had started missing, with a check engine light, drive a mile and would start flashing. Went back home and did same thing, when dad come to take a look, it seemed fine drove about 1000 feet and died, was last time it ran

V6 – 4.0l, no mods , and have never had any issues out of it before.

Will try unhooking the CP sensor and see what happens then

Thanks
D

Next logical step is seeing if there is any compression. Pull a couple plugs and put you finger over the hole if U have no gauge. U shouldn't be able to keep hole covered. One more thing, are you sure there is no water in fuel. Just had a friend fix a car he bought that didn't run & turns out it started & ran fine after draining 3 gallons of milky water/gas from the fuel rail.

Never experienced a misfire in my Ex but I did in our Subaru. The CEL would flash and not retain a code. A Subie tech said the flashing light was a misfire warning and codes aren't necessarily stored.
I did have a flashing CEL in my Ex once and it ended up being my alternator. Took it to a shop and they said my battery and alt checked out ok. A week later my alt went killing my battery and losing the codes to my keys.

Back