Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

The part is in and I will be taking it in on Monday to replace. The driver side began to rattle this weekend and I will ask them to replace that one as well.

On top of the A-Pillar I am going to have them fix:
Driver Side Door Foot molding (where it says "Explorer") because it is loose.
Driver Side tweeter rattle
Bottom Exterior windshield molding is not sitting flush

Since it's going to be in I want it all done in 1 visit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rattle got fixed....and then returned also. It's just not a "fix" its a design flaw. I currently have my X at the dealer also for a list of 9 things wrong with it. The Pillar rattle being the main one since I go nuts driving it.

I might end up getting them to buy it back from me also and go with something else.

We brought our car in for the A-Pillar rattle on the passenger side in July and it didn't fix it. Rattle was still there. We waited to bring it back until we needed other service which was last week. Surprisingly the rattle was fixed. However, after one week, we now have a rattle on the drivers side which is worse. I don't get how that would happen but it did.

off topic: i have a question regarding the dealers buying it back....if they buy the Ex back, do you have to buy another vehicle from them? or will the just buy it back outright ?

I actually noticed I have the rattle earlier this summer. I went in to my dealer and I was told I would have to take it to a dealer on the main land to have them check for it..So I have to pay $150 for the ferry, gas money and a day out of my time to go have Ford check out a problem. I can understand they cannot replicate it with out breaking the law since the nearest area with 60Mph seed limit is a 2 hour drive but I think Ford should pay to have this damn thing checked out, if my dealer can not check it I should not be made to pay to have something that is broken with my vehicle due to a design flaw fixed.

Mishtar my friend. Is that a Ford dealer telling you such things. If so. Shame on them. They should be shot in the face with a ball of their own feces. Go back and tell them there is a TSB out and that they must have their tech take it for a fixing, oh I mean test. Then pull the old routine. "make a fuss and raise a commotion on the show room floor. Ask them if they think you came in just to have someone mess around with your new vehicle. I asked my dealer if he thought I like having people pop out the windshield of my brand new Explorer. Or if he thought I would gain anything from having the factory seal broken. LMAO. Then I asked him if he thought I was a habitual liar or a compulsive liar or just basically someone who would purchase a 50K dollar vehicle from a dealership just so they could fix the gasket on the windshield. It's all in the way you present your case. Don't take no for an answer and if they give you a problem phone up Ford of Canada. I'm sure they willl help you out. Over and out.

Mishtar my friend. Is that a Ford dealer telling you such things. If so. Shame on them. They should be shot in the face with a ball of their own feces. Go back and tell them there is a TSB out and that they must have their tech take it for a fixing, oh I mean test. Then pull the old routine. "make a fuss and raise a commotion on the show room floor. Ask them if they think you came in just to have someone mess around with your new vehicle. I asked my dealer if he thought I like having people pop out the windshield of my brand new Explorer. Or if he thought I would gain anything from having the factory seal broken. LMAO. Then I asked him if he thought I was a habitual liar or a compulsive liar or just basically someone who would purchase a 50K dollar vehicle from a dealership just so they could fix the gasket on the windshield. It's all in the way you present your case. Don't take no for an answer and if they give you a problem phone up Ford of Canada. I'm sure they willl help you out. Over and out.

I actually did call up Ford Canada as well and they agreed with the dealer that they can not be expected to fix it if they cannot replicate the problem due to the speed limits in my area. I could possibly just drive up Island two hours to a different Ford dealer but I would prefer to have my dealer deal with this as I bought it from them and do not want to have to deal with a different dealership.

I actually did call up Ford Canada as well and they agreed with the dealer that they can not be expected to fix it if they cannot replicate the problem due to the speed limits in my area. I could possibly just drive up Island two hours to a different Ford dealer but I would prefer to have my dealer deal with this as I bought it from them and do not want to have to deal with a different dealership.

Even as a "potential" customer, I've found Ford Canada's customer service to be (and I'm being nice) sub-standard.

A Pillar Noise

Have had many minor yet annoying issues with my 2011 Ex. which the dealer has mostly addressed.

The latest two developed on a recent roadtrip. 1/ had MFT screen go black and stayed that way for 90 miles until we got home from the trip. I got it to function again after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. and 2/ we now have the infamous A pillar noise on the passenger side. As best I can determine, this occurs at or above 72 mph with only a slight crosswind (under 20mph)

The vehicle has 7500 miles and I will have to find the time to take it in and get these fixed. What are the chances that this will be sucessfull? I see mixed results for these problems on the threads.

Mike A.
Federal Way WA

Yes, my call up Ford Canada was sarcasm. They did however help me a couple of times. But in general. You might as well talk to a Chev rep.

Rattle and Rebel

So, I'm going in later this morning (It's just after midnight here) to have my MFT updated (as it sucks) the pillar 'fixed'. I don't know what to expect (What rattle? We've never heard of any such complaints!).

Aside from what is an obvious problem; Can anyone here tell me why there is an appliqué over the A pillar? What is under there that needs to be covered? I've never known of any other vehicle having such a doohickey to cover the essential support for a roof.

I really wish I had known (paid attention) to the rattle and MFT issues more closely before purchasing last month (especially since each has made itself readily apparent right from the start). I'm quite certain I would have held off.

It's a shame, really, because the drive-ability of the Explorer is quite decent. I think the fallout from these annoying issues is really going to cost Ford some sales.

I'm one that will bite the financial bullet, and sell the thing after one year rather than live with crap. For all its spartan appearance, the Pilot feels like it would have been the wiser choice. At least, what you see is what you get, and there are few surprises in store post-purchase.

The whole Explorer purchase brings me a bit of deja vu; BMW's iDrive.
It was a nasty maintenance experience.

Hey guys,

In case you missed my post earlier in the thread, I’m available to help by forwarding this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your approximate mileage, contact information, VIN, and dealer name/state.

Cory,
Did you receive my PM with my information? We went to our dealer to get the A-pillar noise taken care of, and they had never heard of the problem. Thanks in advance for any help you can give to me.
Russ
Russ,

I checked my inbox and didn’t see it there. Would you mind sending it again?

Cory

Interesting discussion.

Cory, I re-sent the message.

Wind buffeting.

We have been fighting with noise also. We had the whistle, that appears to have been resolved with the A pillar fix. However we still have alot of wind noise at highway speeds. We just met with a Ford field service guy, and was told that this was wind buffeting (not the buffeting tha happens with the windows cracked) due to the aerodynamics of the vehicle and that it was deemed acceptible based on the price point of this vehicle.

Basically we are stuck with a vehicle that we won't enjoy and will have to pay for, for years to come.

Had both A-Pillars replaced today. All noise is gone. My build date was 2/2011. If that helps

We have been fighting with noise also. We had the whistle, that appears to have been resolved with the A pillar fix. However we still have alot of wind noise at highway speeds. We just met with a Ford field service guy, and was told that this was wind buffeting (not the buffeting tha happens with the windows cracked) due to the aerodynamics of the vehicle and that it was deemed acceptible based on the price point of this vehicle.

Basically we are stuck with a vehicle that we won't enjoy and will have to pay for, for years to come.
I have not heard any 'wind buffeting' at highway speeds on my Explorer. Not sure what he means by "price point"? Mine was just under $52k (CDN). I thought that wind tunnel tests were done to eliminate these annoying noises.
BTW, welcome to the Forum Bmw0231:wavey:

Peter

Wind whistle at highway speeds in crosswinds is very common on any vehicle. Often, it is the antenna that is the source. That's why some have candle tapers on them, and other have a spiral twist of metal along the shaft. This breaks up the noise. Mobile antennas have the twist too.

Also, the windshield moldings can have tiny gaps tht let air under them. This is how musical instruments work. Same principle. I have seen some cars where you can press on the glass at the top center and make the sound change.

Gerry

Gerry

Hey guys,

In case you missed my post earlier in the thread, I’m available to help by forwarding this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your approximate mileage, contact information, VIN, and dealer name/state.

Russ,

I checked my inbox and didn’t see it there. Would you mind sending it again?

Cory

Hey Cory not sure if you read my post, just up a few. What can I do in my situation were the speed limit prevents them from replicating it unless they drive up island 200km's. Ford Canada's suggest was not exactly helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back