• Register Today It's free!

Roll up windows install or not

Ageman

Reaction score
City, State
Buena Park, Orange County CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 5 speed 4x4 Explorer
I found a set of doors with roll up windows on a 92 X the question I have is should I buy them and install them or leave the power ones I have in. The only reason I would want them is so I could take them off easier. I am thinking of the future. I like the doors that fellow Xers are making. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swapped my manual doors/windows/locks/mirrors for power when I first got mine.

The guy had an off road rig and wanted them for that purpose (to take off easier)

The only downfall is finding replacement door panels or parts for them,seeing as how 98% of explorers had power stuff.

Unless you give a rats@$$ about replacement/ good looking door panels.

I swapped my manual doors/windows/locks/mirrors for power when I first got mine.

The guy had an off road rig and wanted them for that purpose (to take off easier)

The only downfall is finding replacement door panels or parts for them,seeing as how 98% of explorers had power stuff.

Unless you give a rats@$$ about replacement/ good looking door panels.

The X I found at the junk yard had nice door panels and all the windows rolled up and down. Do you know if all the manual parts will fit on the power everything door.

The X I found at the junk yard had nice door panels and all the windows rolled up and down. Do you know if all the manual parts will fit on the power everything door.

I think manual parts will fit....don't quote me on that.

I know me converting from manual to electric would've been tricky. That's why I wound up with different doors.

i actually just did this swap last week. I had power doors, found a set of manuals at the junkyard. the swap is easy. you have to punch/drill out the rivets for the power window regulator to get it out of the door, then do the same for the manual doors. Don't forget the two rivets attaching each regulator to the actual window. swap over the manual regulators to the doors on your ex and pop-rivet or bolt them into place. I used pop rivets and it was pretty easy. one thing though, on the back door, you have to move the speaker to the bottom hole since the window handle goes in the top hole. good luck, it's a worthwhile swap in my opinion.

There may be a lot of swearing and finger cutting/bashing on the first door but once you get that one the others will be simple enough.

i actually just did this swap last week. I had power doors, found a set of manuals at the junkyard. the swap is easy. you have to punch/drill out the rivets for the power window regulator to get it out of the door, then do the same for the manual doors. Don't forget the two rivets attaching each regulator to the actual window. swap over the manual regulators to the doors on your ex and pop-rivet or bolt them into place. I used pop rivets and it was pretty easy. one thing though, on the back door, you have to move the speaker to the bottom hole since the window handle goes in the top hole. good luck, it's a worthwhile swap in my opinion.

There may be a lot of swearing and finger cutting/bashing on the first door but once you get that one the others will be simple enough.

did you happen to take pictures while you did the swap.

No i didnt but it really is as simple as I described it. Once you get the door panel and plastic off the inside of the door you will see everything I am talking about.

keep them and use a trailer harness in each door to make it easy to remove.
Or you can use these starting under $10 each. Though for the driver door i think you need the larger one.

keep them and use a trailer harness in each door to make it easy to remove.
Or you can use these starting under $10 each. Though for the driver door i think you need the larger one.

Awesome thanks for the info

Back