• Register Today It's free!

33" tires on 2" puck lift

sector9

Reaction score
City, State
St. George UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt
I was looking and found lots of people with 33" on a 4 inch lift, I was wondering if anybody else has put them on a first gen with a 2" puck and shackles? I plan on trimming but how much? too much? what about radius arm clearance? Im asking because i got a very very good deal on a set of 33x12.5x15's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it can be done. the front fenders will have to be trimmed a good bit though if you don't want any rubbing. you will rub on the stock radius arms with 12.5s but not enough to cause any problems.

2" might as well take the fenders off!!hahah i had to trim two inches out of my fenders when i had 33 and 5.5''

2" might as well take the fenders off!!hahah i had to trim two inches out of my fenders when i had 33 and 5.5''

I disagree; my fenders still look great even after i have trimmed them all the way around. I used the cut and fold technique that you see on XJs and it worked really well for me. I have retained the factory curve of the wheel well (for the most part) and I have maximum clearance for larger tires. I am going to run wheel spacers and move the axle forward a tad in an attempt to fit 35s next.

I disagree; my fenders still look great even after i have trimmed them all the way around. I used the cut and fold technique that you see on XJs and it worked really well for me. I have retained the factory curve of the wheel well (for the most part) and I have maximum clearance for larger tires. I am going to run wheel spacers and move the axle forward a tad in an attempt to fit 35s next.

you have pics?i can not believe that 33x12.50 fit and can be wheeled hard with out ALOT of trimming,but ever truck is different.like i said i had to cut 2" out of mine to clear 33s on a 5.5 lift.wheel spacers will make it rub worse on the fenders

you have pics?i can not believe that 33x12.50 fit and can be wheeled hard with out ALOT of trimming,but ever truck is different.like i said i had to cut 2" out of mine to clear 33s on a 5.5 lift.wheel spacers will make it rub worse on the fenders

This is my truck stuffing the lf tire into the wheel well. This is after I trimmed my fenders for the first time. I did a slight trim job to the rear opening, as that is where you run into problems trying to fit larger tires. I trimmed enough the first time to fully flex the front end lock to lock with no rubbing. Beating back the firewall with a BFH helped as well.

268006_10150246802681924_571006923_7921252_318948_n.jpg

Posing on a small rock at URE. Bumped to the drivers side with no rubbing. With a softer spring I'm sure it would flex enough to rub somewhere.

268144_10150243961731924_571006923_7884801_41802_n.jpg

Here's my truck with the front fender off, to show how much room there actually is underneath there. As you can see I've already cut the plastic fender liner a good bit.

267637_10150249149381924_571006923_7940375_3935185_n.jpg

Finished trimming version 2.0. This is my most recent and extensive trim job I've performed on my fenders. I removed even more sheet metal from the rear of the wheel well, removed almost all of the fender liner and trimmed the curve up top also. I don't think any more trimming than this will accomplish anything because if your front tire reaches this point of stuff, it will hit the body of the truck as well, which you cannot do anything about.

267644_10150249931171924_571006923_7950831_4108810_n.jpg

I would rather just lift it.i wanna see a half turn stuff in the front.you have to be close to the body.also with out a lift you still only have stock flex and only gain clearance from tire height,think you run spring but for the OP. Also in va you can't run with no bumper or mod bumpers like that.sure anything will fit with enough trimming,but for my taste ill lift it.no reason to stay that low if you don't do high speeds.

I don't live in Virginia so that doesn't apply to me, or the OP.

no reason to stay that low if you don't do high speeds.

I disagree...think about it this way: how many stock rigs do you see rolled over? And now how many lifted rigs do you see rolled over? A lower COG increases stability in off-camber situations. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, just trying to prove a point with some personal experience.

I rolled my stock one over doing burn outs.how about clearance then?that first pic is nice but could you drive over that rock?i guarantee your truck on 35s with trimming can't go places mine can period.but off subject...like i have already said yes just about anything will fit if you wanna wack your body and bumper to pieces.

I rolled my stock one over doing burn outs.how about clearance then?that first pic is nice but could you drive over that rock?i guarantee your truck on 35s with trimming can't go places mine can period.

That sucks, I hope you're ok and the truck survived the ordeal. However we aren't talking about burnouts or donuts here, we're talking about wheeling.

Check this video. It was filmed on the 4WOR Ultimate Adventure last year. This TJ is sporting stock springs with 40" tires and heavily clearanced fenders. According to the DVD, all the other participants on the trip raved about the crazy lines the driver could try since his jeep was so low and so stable. It is an extreme example but I feel it demonstrates this concept perfectly. At 0:10 in the video, any other rig would have rolled over, but due to the low COG on the jeep (and driving skill) a rollover was avoided.

...And about comparing your truck to mine, I'll save us some trouble and just avoid a pissing contest with you over this. Some people like form in their rigs, and some like function. I just so happen to prefer function.

That sucks, I hope you're ok and the truck survived the ordeal. However we aren't talking about burnouts or donuts here, we're talking about wheeling.

Check this video. It was filmed on the 4WOR Ultimate Adventure last year. This TJ is sporting stock springs with 40" tires and heavily clearanced fenders. According to the DVD, all the other participants on the trip raved about the crazy lines the driver could try since his jeep was so low and so stable. It is an extreme example but I feel it demonstrates this concept perfectly. At 0:10 in the video, any other rig would have rolled over, but due to the low COG on the jeep (and driving skill) a rollover was avoided.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JParxrXt3xk&feature=related

...And about comparing your truck to mine, I'll save us some trouble and just avoid a pissing contest with you over this. Some people like form in their rigs, and some like function. I just so happen to prefer function.

wait aren't you putting a 6" lift on your truck now??or did that go out the window??so what are you even trying to prove here:scratch:

Picked up some 6" Skyjacker coils from Foxracin last weekend. I know, my build plans change like the direction of the wind. I figured I'll go with the tried-and-true Stage II Skyjacker stuff before I start messing around with softer coils.

The last thing I'll need for this lift to be functional is a pitman arm, FA600. Gonna order that this weekend and then I'll be all set.

we have beat in the fenders with no lift and put 33s on LOL, usually those rigs go further than lifted ones, why, well we dont care about the body and you can run the crap outta of them cause its a cheap good time. LOL. just saying..

072.jpg

009-3.jpg

and I know this one wasnt very safe but we bought it with top cut off and couldnt beat couple hundred bucks full manual everything.

Hahahahah sweet!!!;)

we have beat in the fenders with no lift and put 33s on LOL, usually those rigs go further than lifted ones, why, well we dont care about the body and you can run the crap outta of them cause its a cheap good time. LOL. just saying..

072.jpg

009-3.jpg

and I know this one wasnt very safe but we bought it with top cut off and couldnt beat couple hundred bucks full manual everything.

Does that say 19/09/2010??hahah:)

LOL yep, also that machine had major weight reduction LOL so it would go about anywhere, it really did not feel saf thoe!!! Thats my brother piloting it around, very brave.

that video that was posted.. at about the 3:50 mark that green chev used its winch to such the front end down when he could not climb that hill. Was that simply to lower the center of gravity on the front end so he could power up the hill? he seemed to climb it with no problem after that. Thoughts?

Also in va you can't run with no bumper or mod bumpers like that.
really?
IMG_20111001_181425.jpg

lol

and i personally had bald 32 bfg ats with no lift that rubbed on 3 small spots on the plastic wheel well, either turning or bumps dont know. with no trimming.
new 33s, run without fenders lol

Yea asking for trouble and if you get a real inspection it won't pass.also way more dangerous if you get in an accident!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bumpers are just to protect your own vehicle. easier to replace those then the whole front end in a slow crash. if i hit one of these newer tin can cars bumper or not theyd get totaled anyway. more so since i got two hooks sticking out

Back