2012 explorer hid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 explorer hid

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2012 Explorer. It did not come with hid headlamps and I would really like to have hid in this car as all my other cars came with them. Now my question is, I have sourced OEM hid headlight housings with the bulbs and ballast, now can I just remove my headlight housing and install these housing with out a problem or will I need to rewire some things? Thank you in advanced!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will VOID your warranty, if you do.

im not worried about my warranty. I can always take them out if needed togo in for service. All im asking if they will plug right in.. The housings look identical...

Factory HID's will definately not "plug right in", the wiring in an OEM application would be strong enough to handle HID ballast current, halogen wires generally aren't.

What you can do, is use the housings, bulbs, ballasts, and get an aftermarket harness to control it all. The harness will be powered directly off the battery, and it uses 1 stock headlight output plug (the one that goes to the halogen bulb) to tell the system when to turn on or off... I'd suggest getting a harness from www.theretrofitsource.com

This way if you need to have warranty work done and you think this would cause an issue, you can literally pull it all out without a trace.

Or you can get the OEM harness for the OEM HIDs.

I know, but if he goes to the dealer, he should be able to get the harness for it. It is a short harness to replace I believe, and then it is OEM quality parts instead of aftermarket. Then there are no concerns with warranty issues.

Oem headlights with bulbs and ballasts come in to day. I will post my findings as I soon as I find them..

Hey all new to the forum, reviving a dead thread, but had a quick question for anyone that would care to share info on.

Now I know these OEM HID headlights have a four pin plug that powers the ballast and high beam solenoid, but does anyone know what each pin powers???? I am assuming one wire for ground, one for the high beam solenoid, one for the ballast and I've heard another power wire for the ballast. Dont know if thats true but it was just what I read.

If I could find out which pin is which, I can make a custom relay wiring harness for the guys with halogen headlights that want HID's.

THanks in advance!

Back