• Register Today It's free!

What is this ugly HOOK?

MTN

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
thanks for the info guys! sounds like a pain, but I could see there was no way to put a hook under all that plastic nose, when the tow chain tightened up it would tear up stuff.
there is a permanent hook on the rear drivers side, I did find that but was giving up on a front one.

I can't seem to find the permanent tow hook on the rear driver's side on my Ex (4WD/Tow package). Can you or anyone else post a picture. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't seem to find the permanent tow hook on the rear driver's side on my Ex (4WD/Tow package). Can you or anyone else post a picture. Thanks.

20111104_131733.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate the picture. I don't have that hook on mine. Is there a certain "package" on yours that comes with this. Mine is a Base Model 4WD with the Tow Package.

Thanks, I appreciate the picture. I don't have that hook on mine. Is there a certain "package" on yours that comes with this. Mine is a Base Model 4WD with the Tow Package.

It's a limited, maybe that comes with it.

Rear permanent tow hook

Does anyone with the Tow Package have the rear tow hook (shown in the picture above) on their Explorer?

Makes sense to me that that those of us with the tow package wouldn't have it, but I'm just trying to see if mine came missing parts.

Thanks for any responses.

Does anyone with the Tow Package have the rear tow hook (shown in the picture above) on their Explorer?

Makes sense to me that that those of us with the tow package wouldn't have it, but I'm just trying to see if mine came missing parts.

Thanks for any responses.

I have the Limited with tow package. I don't have that tow hook either.

I can easily see a situation where you might need to be pulled from your passenger's side. I guess getting a new muffler is part of the cost of getting stuck in that instance.

my 2012 xlt has it, but I think it is a shipping tie down. Look under and it is welded to a sub frame piece ........ I believe that if you tie onto it you will just rip it off the truck. No tow package on mine.

my 2012 xlt has it, but I think it is a shipping tie down. Look under and it is welded to a sub frame piece ........ I believe that if you tie onto it you will just rip it off the truck. No tow package on mine.
I believe you are correct in that it was part of the tie down for shipping. My previous '09 Highlander had something similar and that is what it was used for. Those Explorers with the tow package likely would not have needed this piece since the hitch would have been used to tie the vehicle down.

Just took delivery of my Sport last night and I noticed this ugly hook. I didn't have this hook on my 2011 Limited. I'm assuming it is a tie down hook used in transport so I started to remove it until I noticed the muffle hanger attaches to it as well. I hate it.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1VQ8P-JiKDaa29qd1piYjZRcHc/edit?usp=sharing

Does anyone else here have this hook? I'm tempted to hack it off with my sawzall.

It's a tow hook. Incase you get stuck in a ditch, or well any time you need a yank.
Leave it

So just one hook on the back left corner? That sounds odd. Do all the 2013's have this hook now? I have 4WD drive, I don't need a hook.

Pretty normal to only have 1 hook, if there's even a hook there. I don't know if all come with it, but having 4wd doesn't mean you don't need it. All cars have 4 wheel brakes, all cars turn with 2 wheels. You'll slide into a ditch just as easy as everyone else.
Besides, if you ever break down and need a tow. That hook makes the tow truck driver's job way easier. And he'll be less likely to break something, or tear up bumpers.

Seriously, nobody's gonna look at that and say "ewww" just leave it be. If you cut it off, you'll end up needing it.
Besides, civic guys are spending tons of cash on big gawdy hooks :D just google "civic tow hook"
Those things are sticking out all over the place 'round campus. Just waiting to catch me in the shin

Most cars have hooks. When you break down the flatbed driver will use that to hoist the car up. Otherwise they'll use your plastic bumper and well...yea...ha!

That is an ugly hook! And my Sport doesn't have that.

That is an ugly hook! And my Sport doesn't have that.
You don't even notice it unless you are looking for it. I don't know if the Sport is supposed to have one or not. It would seem strange that only one model doesn't. I guess anyone with a Sport won't want to get stuck where they have to be towed out backwards.
All my Highlanders had the same type of attachment.

Peter

more and more I've realized how many people who buy this explorers are just crazy and whine about everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, it can be used as a tow hook, but it started life as a tie down for transporting your pretty ex and not letting it bang around the box cars !!!

Honestly, I've not noticed it on the wife's and probably won't go looking for it :)

Back