My Explorer Overheated | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer Overheated

2011 XLT (Build 3/25/11) Overheated and threw up its coolant idling in my driveway. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning, repaired under TSB 11 7 21 with new cooling fan assembly and coolant flush.

I had a problem in July on a long trip where the AC blew warm air when i came to a stop but was fine if i was driving on the highway. I didn't know how to display my temperature gauge at the time, but I didn't lose my coolant. I brought it in and they repaired under TSB 11-5-18. Does anyone know what the difference is between that TSB and the one they addressed with you (TSB 11-7-21)?

Since the repair, we've noticed that the while the air conditioner blows cool air, it isn't always as cold as it used to be. But after a while (sometimes a couple of days), something kicks in where it does blow colder. I hesitated to bring to the dealer as I figured they would look at me funny when I tried to explain my AC isn't as cold as I would like. Does anyone think it sounds like something that should be addressed? If so, I'm not sure if it is something to wait until next summer since we're into colder weather now. Thanks. (For what it's worth, I have a Limited with tow package.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Does anyone think it sounds like something that should be addressed? If so, I'm not sure if it is something to wait until next summer since we're into colder weather now. Thanks. (For what it's worth, I have a Limited with tow package.)
Fab,

I saw that you messaged me so I sent you a reply with some details. Please let me know via PM what you’d like me to do. :)

Cory

I was waiting last night to pick up relatives at O'Hare airport in Chicago and I received the coolant high temp warning message. I had been idling for about 20 minutes, but air temp was about 45 degrees so AC was not on. I flipped the guage to the temp display and it was pegged at the high end, so I figured driving might help cool it down. After a few minutes the temp gauge was back at the normal range. I was able to pick up my family and make it home without further incident.

I have a Limited w/ Tow that has a build date of 4/29, which is outside the TSB date range. Hopefully I can convince one of the 3 dealerships in my area to replace the fans. Will there be a record of the high temp code that I received?

My dealership took care of it today. The service tech was well aware of the issue when I phoned this morning. They replaced fan assembly per TSB without questioning the build date.

overheating car and owner!!

I brought my 2012 Limited in 3 times for break squeal. Finally told service that I found a TSB on brakes so they fixed it. After that windshield started making noise at highway speed. They fixed that with A Pillar fix. Went on road trip for thanksgiving and the explorer started overheating. Had to stop on road and bring to nearest dealership for fix. Missed some of my thanksgiving. They replaced the cooling fan.. Got back on the road and my brakes started to knock and grind when I come to stop. Going back to dealership for 6th visit on a 2012. Its not even 2012 yet!!!! This does not even count MFT issues. Total piece of junk. Lawyer is getting copies of service records tomorrow.

Cory, do you have any solutions on how to get my money back on this. I have been driving loaner Fusions more than my brand new car!!!! Thats the sort of escalation im looking for on this deal.

I brought my 2012 Limited in 3 times for break squeal. Finally told service that I found a TSB on brakes so they fixed it. After that windshield started making noise at highway speed. They fixed that with A Pillar fix. Went on road trip for thanksgiving and the explorer started overheating. Had to stop on road and bring to nearest dealership for fix. Missed some of my thanksgiving. They replaced the cooling fan.. Got back on the road and my brakes started to knock and grind when I come to stop. Going back to dealership for 6th visit on a 2012. Its not even 2012 yet!!!! This does not even count MFT issues. Total piece of junk. Lawyer is getting copies of service records tomorrow.

Cory, do you have any solutions on how to get my money back on this. I have been driving loaner Fusions more than my brand new car!!!! Thats the sort of escalation im looking for on this deal.
The failing cooling fans was supposed to be only limited to the builds in the first quarter of calendar year 2011. I am surprised to see this failure ocurring in My2012 :thumbdwn:
This means that really no MY2011 is safe nor inmune from this failure! :mad:

My 2011 XLT also overheats at idle. I had the TSB coolant fan fix in August and it still overheats. Takes about 20-30 minutes sitting in traffic, but is consistent. At last service they could not find anything wrong or reproduce. I can reproduce at will and took an IPhone photo of the warning light and temp gauge to prove it. I am taking it in again for the 3rd or 4th time for this issue and seriously considering investigating the Mass Lemon Law.

My dealership took care of it today. The service tech was well aware of the issue when I phoned this morning. They replaced fan assembly per TSB without questioning the build date.
kblee,

I’m sorry I didn’t see this post before. I’m glad your dealer took care of you. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :)

...Going back to dealership for 6th visit on a 2012. Its not even 2012 yet!!!! This does not even count MFT issues...
My 2011 XLT also overheats at idle. I had the TSB coolant fan fix in August and it still overheats. Takes about 20-30 minutes sitting in traffic, but is consistent. At last service they could not find anything wrong or reproduce. I can reproduce at will and took an IPhone photo of the warning light and temp gauge to prove it. I am taking it in again for the 3rd or 4th time for this issue and seriously considering investigating the Mass Lemon Law.
rsab72 & wxman999,

In order for me to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Cory

I had a problem in July on a long trip where the AC blew warm air when i came to a stop but was fine if i was driving on the highway. I didn't know how to display my temperature gauge at the time, but I didn't lose my coolant. I brought it in and they repaired under TSB 11-5-18. Does anyone know what the difference is between that TSB and the one they addressed with you (TSB 11-7-21)?

Since the repair, we've noticed that the while the air conditioner blows cool air, it isn't always as cold as it used to be. But after a while (sometimes a couple of days), something kicks in where it does blow colder. I hesitated to bring to the dealer as I figured they would look at me funny when I tried to explain my AC isn't as cold as I would like. Does anyone think it sounds like something that should be addressed? If so, I'm not sure if it is something to wait until next summer since we're into colder weather now. Thanks. (For what it's worth, I have a Limited with tow package.)

Thought i would throw this question out there again.

I brought it in and they repaired under TSB 11-5-18. Does anyone know what the difference is between that TSB and the one they addressed with you (TSB 11-7-21)?

2011 Explorer Overheat Three Times

I just had the cooling fan replaced yet again as a result of the third overheat on our 2011 Explorer Base (with Tow Package), with 17000 miles. Two of the three instances were hours away from home, and occurred when we came into crawling traffic after highway driving, with much idling. In all cases we also noticed the AC was not cold; in fact that was the case we took delivery. The first visit replaced the fan per the TSB 11-5-18. Service rep indicated known bad part and replaced with new design. Second visit referenced TSB 11-7-21 and replaced cooing fan. Third visit dealer replaced via TSB 11-7-21, checked voltages per engineering center recommendation, and tried to recreate the problem with no luck. Dealer indicated nothing further they could do at this time. Needless to say I am having a very difficult time trusting this vehicle which is extremely frustrating. I have been very loyal to Ford for many years and am now seriously considering trading to another make.

Late 2010 Build with tow. Mine overheated going through a long, low idle speed Christmas lights display. Rather than be stranded we turned the heat on higher and opened the windows and sun roof, which brought the temp down. It is fine in normal traffic. Will set up a service visit once I know they have the parts in stock. My Ex is now officially over one year old, bought last New Years eve. 18,500 miles - Almost twice what I have averaging in prior vehicles. I have made several ~900 mile/day trips. This is a great road trip vehicle, but a few residual bugs.

2011 xlt 4x4 with tow same problem with overheating.

Sounds like a bunch of us. Overheats anytime I drive under 5 mph or idle for longer than 10 minutes. Dropped off at mossy ford today. I will be more concerned about how well they fix it and how long it takes than the problem itself. Not ready to give up on it yet. Love the increased mpg over my Cherokee, love the ride and handling. Do it right ford or no repeat customers!
Sync system sucks, too bad ford could not line up apple for this. Each new update to the sync system improves but still in the dark ages compared to my MacBook, iPad and iPhone.

Sync system sucks, too bad ford could not line up apple for this. Each new update to the sync system improves but still in the dark ages compared to my MacBook, iPad and iPhone.

It's too bad that the iPhone is still in the dark ages as well as it lacks the capability to receive text messages through MFT, unlike , Windows 7 phone, and a whole bunch of Android phones.

Hey guys,

I wanted to check in on this thread to offer my assistance. I can help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Cory,
Do you know if the Explorer's internal computer systems can provide historical data on overheat conditions (i.e. like a computers log of various events) to the Dealer so they can see how many times a vehicle has overheated to the point of bells and whistles going off inside the vehicle, warning the driver?

If my vehicle does not overheat while driving to the dealer, I'm concerned that they will just tell me unless they re-create the problem there at the dealer they won't be able to replace parts that are intermittently failing (ex. cooling fan). If there is some sort of log that is kept in an internal computer for the vehicle of significant events...I would believe this would help and would like to point the service mgr to this.

Thanks in advance,

If I remember right you will trigger a check engine light with a specific code for an overheat.

I wonder if that code would show up on a Vehicle Health Report?

Maybe running one right after an overheat problem would be a good idea. That way if the code clears itself for whatever reason, you will have the health report to show the dealer.

If I remember right you will trigger a check engine light with a specific code for an overheat.

I'd rather catch it before it gets to an overheat condition. Aluminum engines and overheating don't mix well.

Hi everyone,

I’m checking in on this thread to offer my help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can lend a hand, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

...If my vehicle does not overheat while driving to the dealer, I'm concerned that they will just tell me unless they re-create the problem there at the dealer they won't be able to replace parts that are intermittently failing...
jlrohio,

Yes, there is a log in the computer for the dealer to check. Please send a PM with the above info so I can assist with getting this resolved.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Overheated first time @ 12.8k

Happened on way home from work at highway speeds for 25 min, then full stop in middle lane due to accident just ahead in construction zone blocking all lanes. Idled for 20 min awaiting clear path around incident on extreme right shoulder when I began to notice A/C blowing warm air, then saw thermostat peaking and got coolant overheat warning chime -- immediately shut off A/C, turned on heat full blast, helped slightly, but after 5 min engine went into "fail-safe cooling mode" with service engine soon warning light on... seriously thought for a moment it may stall and I'd end up plugging the only clear path around incident on shoulder:eek:. Interestingly no smoke but did get whiff of coolant. Luckily I was able to get clear and with increased speed temp dropped quickly. Got home within 15 min upon looking under hood could see some coolant residue ontop of coolant reservoir and around cap but could also see an inch or two of coolant within reservoir. Then got online and started trolling forums and discovered based on my mftr date of 3/05/11, my LTD falls in the window of TSB 11-5-18. Already set-up appt w/dealer tomorrow AM. This is a good dealer as they already worked on the A-pillar rattle under warranty when I saw that posted on another forum. After waiting a few hours I went back to check coolant level and reservoir is almost empty. So I'll have to top her off in the AM before going to dealer. Not sure but I may also get her flushed. Noticed from another poster that there is a later TSB 11-7-21 but saw no details... but will let dealer know to check that as well.

Back