• Register Today It's free!

2010 EB Rock Sliders

Shuswap

Reaction score
City, State
Sorrento, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 4.6L Eddie Bauer
My search for 4th generation rock sliders showed no results. I'd like to put them on our EB but there are brake and electrical lines running along the outside face of the frame on the drivers side, which makes it difficult to anchor the slide. If you have any photos showing how to get around these lines with a reliable anchor please post them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's a rock slider??

rock sliders are steel tubes or bars tha run under the rocker panels (similar to a running board or nerf bar) but they are strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle so that when off-roading they can 'slide' over rocks and protect the body.

there is very little market for sliders on a 4th gen explorer so i'd imagine your only route is to go to a custom shop and have some made. Do you have a lift or other off-road oriented mods?

there is very little market for sliders on a 4th gen explorer so i'd imagine your only route is to go to a custom shop and have some made. Do you have a lift or other off-road oriented mods?

So my research disclosed, which explains the request for photos if any one had made custom units. Mods are shown in my signature.

Scott Brady looked over our EB at the Ellensburg Rally and advised that the one additional mod he would make would be to add sliders and I agree. I've looked at all the 4th gen photos on this forum and don't see any such mods but I have seen bent running boards.

rock sliders are steel tubes or bars tha run under the rocker panels (similar to a running board or nerf bar) but they are strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle so that when off-roading they can 'slide' over rocks and protect the body.

Thanks for the info...Not too many rocks in Mississippi...

Shu - perhaps I could have looked at your sig for mods, but you dont mention going custom in your post, so I dont consider that an oversight on my behalf. If in fact you are going to a custom shop, let them deal with working around the lines running along the frame.

if you plan to make them yourself, possibly you could disconnect the lines that are in the way of your mounts, mount the slider, and reattach the lines outside of the slider mount. The lines would be moved maybe a 1/4" (or whatever the thickness of your slider mount)

If you are wheeling in a 4th gen lifted slightly over stock, you will likely use your sliders a lot, so strength would be my primary focus, i'd think 3 frame mounts would be prefered over two.

Since your search yielded no results here, perhaps you can google images of sliders on other rigs to get ideas. I am sure it is doable with the proper amount of planning and skilled fabricating. I'd like to see how this turns out.

If you want your running boards/step tubes in the mean time to get more clearance you could always do a 1.5" body lift:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312012

I believe this has been done on at least one 4th Gen explorer and it shouldn't require trimming the bumper covers...just need to trim a bit of the lower fan shroud.

With that and your rocksliders you should be better off than you are now.

Thanks for the replies. On this and other forums, nor on Google Images have I found a 4th gen Explorer with sliders. As for moving brake lines and electrical, I still have 30K miles on my extended warranty and want to preserve that without giving Ford an excuse to decline a claim so my mods are all based on that premise.

Thanks for the replies. On this and other forums, nor on Google Images have I found a 4th gen Explorer with sliders. As for moving brake lines and electrical, I still have 30K miles on my extended warranty and want to preserve that without giving Ford an excuse to decline a claim so my mods are all based on that premise.
Yeah but how did you plan to mount the sliders properly? Cauz more than likely, you would probably have to alter the chassis (drill holes or weld to it) which would probably void the warranty anyway.

Yeah but how did you plan to mount the sliders properly? Cauz more than likely, you would probably have to alter the chassis (drill holes or weld to it) which would probably void the warranty anyway.

The Ford Services Managers I have talked to advise me that they determine whether or not a modification caused or contributed to the problem being corrected under a warranty claim - if they decide not then the warranty applies to the repair.

I want rock sliders on my 2010 xlt 4x4 but have run into the same issue you have. Were you ever able to figure anything out?

they will always chose a modification of any kind if it sounds like they can void anything... ive had every warranty claim voided by ford... 1999 f-150 roush stage 2 "dropped off at roush before the dealer even saw it" over 3 years ford found ways to void my factory and extended and roush found a way to void their 3 year warranty.... 2004 cobra factory warranty voided in 3 months after taking delivery no modification except for the fact I was 25 and they said I was too young for that car so the rear end snapped because of my age.... but we all know those rear IRS setups cant handle 400hp

they will always chose a modification of any kind if it sounds like they can void anything... ive had every warranty claim voided by ford... 1999 f-150 roush stage 2 "dropped off at roush before the dealer even saw it" over 3 years ford found ways to void my factory and extended and roush found a way to void their 3 year warranty.... 2004 cobra factory warranty voided in 3 months after taking delivery no modification except for the fact I was 25 and they said I was too young for that car so the rear end snapped because of my age.... but we all know those rear IRS setups cant handle 400hp

Sounds like B and S to me, the magnuson moss warranty act, specifically prohibits warranties being voided for aftermarket parts being installed, and if you really expect the rest of us to believe the dealer actually said that you were too young for the car is also BS.

At 25 I was flying 40million dollar aircraft in the Navy.

Sounds like B and S to me, the magnuson moss warranty act, specifically prohibits warranties being voided for aftermarket parts being installed, and if you really expect the rest of us to believe the dealer actually said that you were too young for the car is also BS.

At 25 I was flying 40million dollar aircraft in the Navy.

What would have happened if you broke said aircraft in your first week? And i was not getting paid to drive a car i was paying to drive a car... And they really wanted to charge me $1500 to replace a $70 part and it worked the first time it broke but the next 2 times i fixed it myself

Back