Fix for Streaking Windows!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fix for Streaking Windows!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AussieBob, check my post on 10/17. It's been just over 2 weeks, and the windows are still streak free. :)

Thanks WingsFan,

I did actually see that post, but missed the reference to the TSB later on.

For those wanting to know, it is TSB 11-10-9

- A :roll:

For those who might have missed my post in the last page, I’ll post here as well: I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Any updates from those that had this fixed? Also curious if anyone had tinted windows. I'm worried they are going to screw the tint up doing this.

Just over 3 weeks with the fix, and no streaks. I do not have any aftermarket tint on my windows. I actually have the Ex in today for an oil service (I can't believe I'm a little over 20K miles already!) and the squeaky brake TSB. I've decided to wait on the A piller as it is only fluttering at high speeds/cross winds and isn't too much of a nuisance (yet).

I had mine in about 3 weeks ago for the streaks and the issue regarding burnt oil smell leaking into the AC vents. The dealership told me they completely took apart both door panels and cleaned out the substance. I was skeptical at first, but I have not had an issue since. As for the smell coming into the vents, I'm not certain it is 100% gone- I feel like I still smell something on acceleration - but I cannot determine if it's my mind - or my nose - playing tricks on me.

Just over 3 weeks with the fix, and no streaks...
WingsfaninNC,

I’m sorry I didn’t see your post before. That’s great that the streaks were taken care of. :)

...As for the smell coming into the vents, I'm not certain it is 100% gone- I feel like I still smell something on acceleration - but I cannot determine if it's my mind - or my nose - playing tricks on me.
Torper7,

You could always not mention it as you drive a friend around and ask him if he smells anything. ;)

sent you a PM Cory. Please assist.
Thank you for the heads up, mdc160. I arranged for you to be called today.

Cory

I am supposed to get my EX back today or tomorrow, they are fixing the streaking windows, A-Pillar/windshield wind noise and bubbly blackout tape. Hope this takes care of it.

Had streaks on mine but they went away after 8 months. They never came back. Then again they weren't that bad.

My buddy with a 2011 took rubbing alcohol with a spray top and sprayed the windows to cover the glass, he then rolled windows up and down a few times, resprayed, windows up and down again. He let them dry, then cleaned them. Streaks were gone completely forever.

I had my window streaks done just yesterday and picked up the X today and tested it and glad to say no streaks. I also had the brakes done and no squeak on them either so far. Hopefully, this will be the last time i have to take my X to the dealership until my first service.

Thanks Cory.

I am supposed to get my EX back today or tomorrow, they are fixing the streaking windows, A-Pillar/windshield wind noise and bubbly blackout tape. Hope this takes care of it.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, cnsheets.

Had streaks on mine but they went away after 8 months. They never came back. Then again they weren't that bad.
My buddy with a 2011 took rubbing alcohol with a spray top and sprayed the windows to cover the glass, he then rolled windows up and down a few times, resprayed, windows up and down again. He let them dry, then cleaned them. Streaks were gone completely forever.
chimoman & suzook,

It’s great to see that the streaking was taken care of. :D

I had my window streaks done just yesterday and picked up the X today and tested it and glad to say no streaks. I also had the brakes done and no squeak on them either so far. Hopefully, this will be the last time i have to take my X to the dealership until my first service.

Thanks Cory.
You got it, mdc160. Are there any weather systems coming to Connecticut soon? ;)

Cory

Dealer failed to wash the interior of my windows BEFORE doing the fix. So after they did the fix and rolled the windows down, the oily crap on the window deposited itself on the new strips. So now, every time I roll down, then back up, I still get a light streak, but not nearly as bad as before. I think I will see if I can wipe the new strip with some rubbing alcohol and clean the windows really well and get the residual stuff off.

Wow, and I thought that my wife used some sort of wrong cleaner on the glass, which caused the oily film on both of our front door windows...and now I come across this thread.

Well, after lots and lots of Windex, it's finally clean again but I'll be mentioning this when I go to the dealer and get it repaired.

BTW, I have not read what is the actual root cause of this issue. Did they?

Ford Customer Service Reps,

My dealer has to order the parts (BB5Z 7821457 A & BB5Z 7821456 A) to fix the oil film that builds up on the windows. When I asked how long they would need the vehicle, they stated all day as they needed to take apart the doors to get to the weather strips and clean the inside of the door.

Could you tell me:

(1) does the TSB authorize the dealer to compensate 1 day of a rental vehicle, like they did with the Cooling fan/overheating TSB?

(2) (EDIT - DISREGARD - I found a copy of TSB 11-10-9 right here from SWETRID - Thanks!)

Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
11-10-9 OILY FILM ON INSIDE FRONT DOOR WINDOW GLASS

Publication Date: October 7, 2011

FORD: 2011 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Explorer may exhibit an oily film or horizontal oily lines on the inside of the front door window glass.

ACTION:
Follow the Service procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove front interior door window glass moulding.
Clean door window glass with Motorcraft® Ultra-Clear Spray Glass Cleaner or equivalent.
Replace front interior door window glass molding with revised part.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-7821457-A Window Glass Moulding - Left Hand
BB5Z-7821456-A Window Glass Moulding - Right Hand
ZC-23 Motorcraft® Ultra-Clear Spray Glass Cleaner

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
111009A 2011 Explorer: Replace The Interior Door Window Glass Belt Moulding One (1) Front Door (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.
111009B 2011 Explorer: Replace The Interior Door Window Glass Belt Mouldings Two (2) Front Doors (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7821457 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company

Ford Customer Service Reps,...

(1) does the TSB authorize the dealer to compensate 1 day of a rental vehicle, like they did with the Cooling fan/overheating TSB?

(2) (EDIT - DISREGARD...
jlrohio,

I can’t say for sure if there will be a rental available. I got your PM and made sure to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager. Please see my reply for all the info.

It looks like you already found your second answer. :)

Cory

I had the TSB performed and they are still streaky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back