2002 Sport w/ BAD vibration problem!! Need help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport w/ BAD vibration problem!! Need help!!

Wharf-Creek

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
OK, this has been an on-going problem with this truck since I got it about 10K ago. At about 38 to 40 up to about 45, and then again at about 65 to 70 and onward to 75+ (I don't dare drive it any faster)......I get a BAD vibration!! Had the tire balanced twice w/ no indication that they would NOT balance up. I've pulled drive-shafts and driven the vehicle, and no change. Wheels aren't bent, hubs are 'new' up front and axle in back is in good shape. I've NOT balanced my drive-shaft.....and I'm suspect that the rear shaft is the culprit. I only pulled the front shaft as my 4WD was not working at the time......but it is now. I do see what appears to be a spot about 1" wide going 360 degrees around the middle of the drive shaft where it looks like something might have been there at one time, like a clamp or piece of metal or even a paper label.....the 'rust' looks different. But, aside from that......I can't seem to zero-in on the cause of this vibration to save my soul. I'll also mention that at 70, if you put the truck in neutral to allow the engine/TC to coast to idle....the vibration remains. So, not engine or TC related. And, it doesn't feel like a 'trans' or TC problem......it all just shifts too smoothly. But, who knows. Any suggestions would REALLY be appreciated. This thing shakes so bad that an empty front passenger seat back will vibrate like it's being shaken by someone in the back seat!!! Thanks, Tom D.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, this has been an on-going problem with this truck since I got it about 10K ago. At about 38 to 40 up to about 45, and then again at about 65 to 70 and onward to 75+ (I don't dare drive it any faster)......I get a BAD vibration!! Had the tire balanced twice w/ no indication that they would NOT balance up. I've pulled drive-shafts and driven the vehicle, and no change. Wheels aren't bent, hubs are 'new' up front and axle in back is in good shape. I've NOT balanced my drive-shaft.....and I'm suspect that the rear shaft is the culprit. I only pulled the front shaft as my 4WD was not working at the time......but it is now. I do see what appears to be a spot about 1" wide going 360 degrees around the middle of the drive shaft where it looks like something might have been there at one time, like a clamp or piece of metal or even a paper label.....the 'rust' looks different. But, aside from that......I can't seem to zero-in on the cause of this vibration to save my soul. I'll also mention that at 70, if you put the truck in neutral to allow the engine/TC to coast to idle....the vibration remains. So, not engine or TC related. And, it doesn't feel like a 'trans' or TC problem......it all just shifts too smoothly. But, who knows. Any suggestions would REALLY be appreciated. This thing shakes so bad that an empty front passenger seat back will vibrate like it's being shaken by someone in the back seat!!! Thanks, Tom D.

Might be silly to ask, but you checked the toe links and ball joints? Mine has been shaking like mad and i have had to replace both rear toe links and now the two front ball joints. I had wobble in all four of my tires, lateral and horizontal.

Not silly to ask......and a GREAT suggestion!! The only comment I'd make is that the problem seems to be definitely related to balance......not a 'shake'. In other words, at specific speeds, the 'out of balance' problem produces a consistent vibration just like a tire vibration at a specific wheel speed. This vibration is felt throughout the car, will shake the plastic trim, and even the seat back of the unoccupied passenger seat will begin to shake in rhythm to the vibration. And, like I said, it comes in at a specific speed....goes out above or below that threshold, and then returns again at a higher specific speed.....presumably a harmonic of the first speed. Because of the consistency of the problem, I'm still incline to think 'balance'......BUT......as your suggestion is a good one, I'll check all that stuff today. I've actually got an appointment in about an hour to go have 4 different wheels and tires installed as a 'test' to see if the cause might be a bad tire.....perhaps an internal cord defect? We'll see. I'm still thinkin' 'Drive-Shaft'. But, time will tell. Again....thanks for the suggestion! Tom

Just a quick up-date.....took the truck in to 3 different shops today. Tried a complete new set of wheels/tires....test drove....vibration still the same. Most local 'experts' all seem to agree that the problem seems to be 'drive-shaft' frequency.....and typical of drive-shaft vibration issues. I've now got an appointment to have the drive-shaft pulled on Monday. It will be sent out, balanced, new "U"-joints installed.......and will hopefully be returned as the 'fix' for my vibration problem. I'm down to 3 potential causes: 1) the driveshaft balance, 2) the associated 'U'-joints, or 3) a possible problem in the nose of the rear dif. Dif seemed a bit 'loose' to me......but it's quiet, no noises, and the pinion bearing seems tight. I just thought it felt like maybe a bit too much free-play in the ring/pinion adjustment.......but it's quiet....no clunking while driving, and no whine from the gears. I also checked all the suspension points, clips, mounts, joints, etc. They all seemed solid......so.....for now, I'm ruling them out as well. I'll up-date this after my drive-shaft gets re-worked......and if anyone has any more suggestions.....bring 'em on!!! Thanks, Tom

Did you ever find out what the problem was and how much did it cost to fix? I believe I'm having the same issue with my 02 Explorer.

Would a broken rear spring cause this?

Well, I'm sorry to say I'm still dealing with the problem!! I completed the tire/wheel swap and drove the truck......and the problem was exactly the same. So, this pretty much told me the problem is all ''drive-line' related. BTW, while doing this swap, I did a VERY close inspection of the suspension components....links, springs, shocks, etc. Didn't see any problems there. Could a broken spring cause this problem????..........I suppose it could cause something similar, but that's not my problem!! I'm still leaning towards an out of balance drive shaft! So, to either confirm and repair, or rule that out, I'm removing the drive shaft and sending it out for installation of new "U" joints and a professional Dynamic Balancing. That will set me back about $200....and if it doesn't cure the problem, then I'm just going to drive it until it drops!! Oh, I also inspected the rear axles, hubs, discs, and spun the whole drive-train while on a lift. The rear rotors were perfect....no wobble or hop, and the hubs looked equally straight and true! I didn't see any hop in the drive shaft..........but with the suspension in full 'drop' position...who knows what to have expected. Anyway, I'm scheduled to have the drive-shaft removed when I'm leaving for Michigan for a week and I'll be taking my 2006 Dodge Hemi Pick-up.....that drives like a luxury automobile!! The difference in drive quality, smoothness of operation, reduced noise level, etc, etc, etc......it's just astounding!! Why this Ford drives (or 'rides') so poorly and how Dodge can make a pick-up ride like finely tuned road car....it's just amazing!! But, it is what it is!! I'd just like the Ford NOT to vibrate. And, why I can't find the problem is really starting to tick me off!! Oh well............ I'll up-date after the trip....on or about 12/09. Thanks, Tom D.

Well, I gave up! Sold the Ford and bought a Jeep. I'm happier now!! WC

PS......What a difference! The Jeep is MUCH smoother to drive, feels a lot better, handles wonderfully well, it's quieter, has better throttle response, better gas mileage, and overall seems to be just a MUCH better vehicle. Really...who'dav thought....... Should'av gotten outta that Ford a long time ago!!! WC

Back