Getting ready to order some parts... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting ready to order some parts...

Foo

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4x4, 4.0L!
23w07ls.jpg

2003 Ford Explorer, 4.0L SOHC V6, 4WD

Just hit 90k miles and so far have replaced PCV valve fuel filter, plugs, air filter etc.

I was planning on replacing the plug wires, valve covers (leaking), intake manifold gaskets (also leaking?), serpentine belt, a missing rear wheel stud and lug nut, and changing the coolant out.

I wasn't sure if the throttle body gasket is needed since it says up to 08/03/03 and my explorer is an 03... or if I can replace the intake manifold gaskets without even taking the TB off the manifold. Also when I should I worry about the thermostat? And should I worry about the 02 sensors yet or wait till they pop a code?

Any help or opinions appreciated...just wanting to make sure this all fit before I made the order.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First suggestion would be to print that list an take it to your local az if possible. they will match the price on most of those parts and save you some dough on the shipping. I know they carry the dorman and motorcraft parts. If draining the fluid i would def also do the t stat. Go with motorcraft of better on that part. if had cheap t stats fail right out of the box. i wouldnt worry about the 02 sensors unless they throw a code your just wasting money. it wont help your vehicle in any way.as for the manifold i dont know much about the 4.0 sorry im a v8 guy. how was that fuel filter job i plan on doing mine soon. as for my plugs im sending them to my stealership small price to pay if the two piece plug breaks in there.

When I replaced the left (driver side) valve cover gasket on my 02' XLT SOHC V6 Flex-fuel, the throttle body came off/on with the manifold.

At 130K, I have the original spark plug wires, PVC valve, & coolant thermostat. Take a look at the owner's manual about recommended maintenance intervals.

On the coolant, since you can't drain the engine block (no drains), it is best to just drain and refill a few times with extended range coolant and distilled water. Don't flush unless you have cooling problems. Same for thermostat.

The online discount Ford dealers have very good prices and low shipping. Get a quote from them before ordering local or using aftermarket parts.

Guilateen: Fuel filter job was pretty easy, in retrospect I wish I would have gotten a the vehicle off the ground instead of just sliding under it and getting fuel all over everything lol. I had the fuel line tool all ready and wasn't sure if it was the correct one for the job so that took a little fidgeting. Changing the plugs on the 4.0 took less than 2 hours including getting tools out from the basement, cleanup etc. very easy to do.

Borland: Thanks for the info about the TB. It looked like I wouldn't have to mess with it. I already changed the PVC valve because I thought that's where the oil leak may have been coming from on the upper rear drivers side valve cover, wrong...but it did need changed. They also recommend the plugs are OK until 100k and mine were completely worn.

Any specific ford dealers you use? I'm a believer in OEM parts for stock vehicles. Also any estimation on how much coolant the radiator and overflow bottle hold?

I use platinum spark plugs, but replace them every 60K miles.

Again, the owners manual states the cooling capacity, however for drain and refill just measure what quantity drains out, then pour it back in the reservoir. That will give you an idea as to how much antifreeze and distilled water to buy. You can calculate what percentage drained and again after replensihing with new, what percent change took place. You'll see that it take quite a few drain and fills to replace 90%.

There may be others, but here's a start for Ford Dealers selling online discount parts...

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214072

http://www.silverstatefordparts.com/

Autozone will sell you Duralast parts.

Ive found that most of the higher quality parts I find on RockAuto, are a bit cheaper than AutoZone's cheap duralast parts.

Back