installed pioneer avic 930bt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installed pioneer avic 930bt

speedracer g37

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
ordered this on monday and received it this afternoon (wednesday) with free shipping. crutchfield included all the needed materials to do a clean install without splicing or cutting wires. the only additional item i had to purchase was the iPhone connection cable. installation took about two hours from start to finish, half of which is wiring the ford adapter to the unit outside of the car on a bench. i couldn't be happier with the product and crutchfield tech support.

plugging in the ford adapter to the factory harness
457cf919.jpg

9c2e643a.jpg

bluetooth mic for hands free phone calls mounted in the overhead lamp cluster
fb937e78.jpg

test fit
9ddbd3ca.jpg

test fire up
b654d3a4.jpg

completed install
42dbe351.jpg
0951993f.jpg

89f10778.jpg

83246f4e.jpg

bb38586b.jpg

3d view
1ba50586.jpg

this unit streams music via bluetooth and runs most iPhone apps including pandora, sirius/xm, netflix and video. navigation has both standard and 3d view and the unit supports a back up camera. install looks completely stock and price was more than reasonable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks awesome. where'd you mount the GPS antenna and run the wire?

The antenna is wired under the dash, up the driver side a pillar, through the headliner, along the sunroof molding and in front of the sunroof.

looks awesome!

did you wire the video parking brake wire(usually pink) to a ground so you can watch videos while driving?

yeah, parking brake was light green in this case (pink was the speed sensor wire which was piggy backed into the gray wire off the secondary radio plug...you can see it in the first pic) which was grounded into the cigarette lighter under the center console. i think i can play dvd's but i know i can stream netflix.

right now my company sells them for 599.00 damn good price!!!

Did you keep the sterring wheel controls. If so which adapter did you use, and was it difficult. Looks really good. I see you Pioneer has the color changing feature to match oem. Im looking for a similar deck but i dont need the nav. i use my phone the Evo 4g so mybe that will save me a buck or two. Also Crutchfield has a reputation for being overpriced on there items. I found that not to be true. I know they carry expensive items but i did some comparing and found them to be reasonable. Another source I've been checking out is Sonicelectronics. I will be attempting the install myself since the truck budget is low right now. Thanks to the awesome suspension components on the third gen. Looks really good thanks for the inspiration. Starting my xmas list now.

I should have gone into this writing a full review. This is the first time I've dealt with crutchfield, and I couldn't be happier. I found this unit on their page for "2002-2005 Ford Explorer" page. They have a budget/customer/staff recommendation; this being the customer favorite. I compared prices and found it cheaper on amazon and some other sites but none of them included the factory wire harness adapter and mounting/finish bezel or offered free tech support or free second day shipping. The tech support came in handy at 11:30 at night when couldn't figure out where to plug in the speed sensor wire.

My explorer doesnt have steering wheel controls, but I do recall an option on their site to add an adapter for this. Also, like I stated in the op, the explorer dash and console and radio are so easy to take apart that you shouldn't hesitate to do this yourself. I'll add more pics of the install for wire routing and antenna placement since I'll be back into the dash to put spacers in to tilt the bottom out some more for easier viewing of the nav screen.

Edit: this pioneer Unit has 10 different standard colors, rolling color option, and 2 custom saved colors ( manually adjust rgb values to get the color you want) to match the interior lighting colors perfectly.

Did you keep the sterring wheel controls. If so which adapter did you use, and was it difficult. Looks really good. I see you Pioneer has the color changing feature to match oem. Im looking for a similar deck but i dont need the nav. i use my phone the Evo 4g so mybe that will save me a buck or two. Also Crutchfield has a reputation for being overpriced on there items. I found that not to be true. I know they carry expensive items but i did some comparing and found them to be reasonable. Another source I've been checking out is Sonicelectronics. I will be attempting the install myself since the truck budget is low right now. Thanks to the awesome suspension components on the third gen. Looks really good thanks for the inspiration. Starting my xmas list now.

they do have the none navi version and it the avhp-3300bt its about 399.00 and the unit your going to want for steering wheel controls is the pac audio swi-rc. its easy if you know what you are doing.

Very nice. I ordered the Pioneer AppRadio from Crutchfield. They are a great site. Comes with extras like the harness, bracket and a very very good, detailed, how-to instruction manual. Best Buy wanted to charge me 160 for installation and lied to me telling me that they needed to modify my dash for the install (which turned out to be BS).

Nice job I had the d1, the first model and wanted to upgrade to that one until someone tore it from my dashboard plastic pieces to the dash and all now I have nowhere to secure it to, god bless NYC, damn animals...and also check out the forum it's specific to the pioneer avic series...good info there

Nice job I had the d1, the first model and wanted to upgrade to that one until someone tore it from my dashboard plastic pieces to the dash and all now I have nowhere to secure it to, god bless NYC, damn animals...and also check out the forum it's specific to the pioneer avic series...good info there

That sucks sorry to hear. If its a constant problem try fixing razors on the underside of speakers and backside of panel trim. I grew up in a neighborhood where theft was any issue. This trick seemed to work although you would most likely have to clean up some blood, your equipment will most likely still be intact.

I know this is an old thread. But to the OP did you connect the Vehicle Speed Wire to the gray/black wire of the second connector? It appears that in the second photo the pink VSS wire from the head unit is going in that connector? Coincidentally I'm installing the exact unit this week in a 2003 Mountaineer V8.

Back