Safety Recall -Speed Control Deactivation Switch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safety Recall -Speed Control Deactivation Switch

The cruise switch fires are always in the master cylinder/firewall area. Easy to spot them @ the salvage sales. You probably just had a wire short out, possibly to the alternator.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The switch isn't replaced because the "smart ford guys" want to save money. Their "fix" with the fuse isn't going to stop a fire when the switch does leak as a spark will happen well before the fuse goes .... but that's their answer to a bad switch problem. If you recall, they said that the problem first was because the switch was under constant power and it needed to be fused but now the recalls are in vehicles where the power is switched (key on) and fused so now they are adding another fuse...hmmmm.... why..... cause fuses are cheaper than switches. Any way hopefully no one will have a bad "experience" from their "fix".

That was my impression as well. So thousands of people waste gas and lose time from work and other activities to take their truck in for a 'recall' that doesn't prevent the fire problem.
They should replace the switch with a design that totally separates the fluid from the electrical circuit with no exceptions. Putting in a fuse does little to nothing, as it is the spark that ignites the fluid and a fuse isn't going to stop that from happening.

FYI, they DID replace the switch after about '03. If the owner comes in for the recall and the switch is leaking they will replace the switch, if not leaking you get the fused harness. The fuse in the harness will blow before a fire is started. It's not a "spark" that causes the fire, it's the dead short and the heating and melting of the wire in the harness. You're dealing with brake fluid not gasoline.You have all kinds of electrical switches in contact with fluids, brake pressure, power steering pressure, oil pressure, the fuel sender and pump are submerged in gasoline.

Just had mine 96 done and they provided the "pig tail" and didn't replace the switch. Again, the "logic" they used in the past was that the problem was a "constant powered circuit overheating" BUT in 96 and others, the circuit IS NOT constant powered and is fused and "key switched" already so providing another fuse for a "ground short" isn't going to stop much more than was already there. Replacing the switch with a correctly designed one is the right solution... putting a "band aid fuse" in is just that a "band aid".

I'm amused by how easily ford found me to notify me of a 10 cent fix that will never expire yet they were totally unable to locate me to notify me of the faulty intake gaskets and timing chain tensioners and guides that did expire before I found out about them though I lived with the symptoms for years. They aren't even "made in America" - every part I buy is made in Italy or Mexico or ? We bought two new Explorers - they took our money and treated us like dirt. Think I'll ever buy another ford? Do I think they care? They have the P.T. Barnum attitude - "there's one born every minute" If they spent a fraction of the $$$ they spend on advertising on making a quality product, they wouldn't need all that Hollywood hype. All they want to do is count their money. I like my Ex's but I love my Lexus'. Up yours ford.

Also had my 97 XLT done. In South Africa we only got our recall letter in April 2010 but at least they did not forget about our RHD versions.

I just had mine done when I got the keys reprogrammed. They checked the OASIS & found out it was never done. It didn't take long to do.

FYI, they DID replace the switch after about '03. If the owner comes in for the recall and the switch is leaking they will replace the switch, if not leaking you get the fused harness. The fuse in the harness will blow before a fire is started. It's not a "spark" that causes the fire, it's the dead short and the heating and melting of the wire in the harness. You're dealing with brake fluid not gasoline.You have all kinds of electrical switches in contact with fluids, brake pressure, power steering pressure, oil pressure, the fuel sender and pump are submerged in gasoline.

Thanks for clarifying the nature of the fire cause. Earlier reports suggested sparking as ignition cause. A short would indeed start a harness fire. The fuse makes sense in this context.

The dealer replaced mine a couple months ago, when I had about 220k on it. Took only a few minutes, and the ticket said something about installing a fuse link. And all 15 years I've owned it it sat in the garage without any problem ever.

My '95 leaked brake fluid out through the sensor on the end of the master cylinder years before it became a "safety recall"

Is this really news? The expanded recall involving most of our Explorers came out back in August. The original recall for the F-series trucks came out back in '05. It's nothing new, just an expansion of the recall to replace or fuse all the *potential* failed switches.

There really are three simple steps:

-IF your switch is contaminated with brake fluid, you will get the replacement switch AND a fused harness. (Truck Brake Repair Kit Part number 1L1Z-9F924-AA)
-If your switch is intact, you will get *just* the harness. (Truck Fused Jumper Harness part # 4W1Z-14A411-BC)
-If parts are not available (because dealers are sitting on them), you will get the interim fix (unplugging the harness) until truck replacement parts become available for open ordering again.

Cars are another story: They get only the interim fix (unplug the harness). Parts are expected to be available sometime soon, but parts are not currently available.

-Joe

My cruise control didn't work and Ford only replaced the harness on mine for the recall. I replaced the steering wheel ear switches. I did the diagnostic test which gave me the 3 flashes for bad deactivation switch. Went and got 1L1Z-9F924-AA kit for $18.00. Noticed when I took out bad switch it had brake fluid on it, but hard to see because my brake fluid is clear. Anyway, cruise control now works.

I did notice that the diagnostic test no longer works. Everything is fine with test till the Set button is pressed, no flash and no end of test result flashes. Anyone else have this issue ?

Talk about an old post...

I went to the dealer today to pick up the wire and new sensor to put this in. BUT i was told to talk to the service manager about the recall. I drop my EX off tomorrow to get it fixed with no cost to me, all covered under the recall along with some seat bolt and hood latch. Beats me paying for it and having to put them in!

I had this done to my Xplora about 2 years back. While it was there I was notified that the front sway bar end connecters (can't remember what they are actually called) were also replaced due to a recall.

Talk about an old post...

I went to the dealer today to pick up the wire and new sensor to put this in. BUT i was told to talk to the service manager about the recall. I drop my EX off tomorrow to get it fixed with no cost to me, all covered under the recall along with some seat bolt and hood latch. Beats me paying for it and having to put them in!

yeah, I still need to do this to mine, but the only Ford dealership in town are a bunch of.... deadbeats, we'll say. At least, I haven't heard of anything good even from their service dept.
also having to drop it off and leave it would be pretty lame.

Picked up my Ex this afternoon, replaced 2 of the 4 recalled items, had to order the other two parts. Not sure how important the other 2 are (98s09 jump starting ground & 99s18 hood latch)

Installed pigtail/fused harness but not switch.

Also wanted to say that this is a great site! Great information for just about everything.

was lead to this thread because i discovered my switch with a burned spot, leaking and throwing the #13 fuse inside. Ive already purchased the replacement, but wonder id this is still something i can still have the dealer fix for free...maybe?
its an 01 sport with 203k miles. IS there a TSB?
An aside, where can i find a comprehensive list of TSBs for any vehicle?

cruisecontrolreleaseswi.jpg

was lead to this thread because i discovered my switch with a burned spot, leaking and throwing the #13 fuse inside. Ive already purchased the replacement, but wonder id this is still something i can still have the dealer fix for free...maybe?

I imagine you can. I actually got another notice in the mail just a few weeks ago, as I have yet to take mine in.

Only one Ford dealership in town, and they are horrendous. Lots of horror stories of their service dept.

Contemplating calling the dealer ~40 miles away, and to ask how long it will take.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cruisecontrolreleaseswi.jpg

Yes, if it is in the included group of vehicles. Recalls are regardless of age/miles. In fact my '95 was fixed 3 years ago, when it had 221k on it.

Back