• Register Today It's free!

Broken Motor Mount Bolts

mlochala

Reaction score
City, State
Amory, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Yesterday, I attempted to replace a motor mount bolt that thought had simply come loose and fallen out. Unfortunately, what I discovered was that BOTH motor mount bolts on the passenger side were actually broken off flush in the engine block.

I've never had very much experience or even good luck removing or drilling out bolts like this, much less in such a tight space as this. :scratch:

Have any of you had to do this before on your Mountaineer or Explorer?

If so, how did you do it and what advice can you give me?

Thanks,

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't the skills/tools to do this properly, then take it to a shop. You DO NOT want to dork up the holes.

Yesterday, I attempted to replace a motor mount bolt that thought had simply come loose and fallen out. Unfortunately, what I discovered was that BOTH motor mount bolts on the passenger side were actually broken off flush in the engine block.

I've never had very much experience or even good luck removing or drilling out bolts like this, much less in such a tight space as this. :scratch:

Have any of you had to do this before on your Mountaineer or Explorer?

If so, how did you do it and what advice can you give me?

Thanks,

Mark
I honestly do not know how you can do this without pulling the engine, there just isn't enough room to work, unless you use a Dremel tool to drill the old bolt out of the block. You can do an old drag racing trick to hold the engine down. A small length of chain from the block to the frame with a turnbuckle will do the tridk. Lets see how many comments we get about this.

I honestly do not know how you can do this without pulling the engine, there just isn't enough room to work, unless you use a Dremel tool to drill the old bolt out of the block. You can do an old drag racing trick to hold the engine down. A small length of chain from the block to the frame with a turnbuckle will do the tridk. Lets see how many comments we get about this.
LOL! Been a long time since I've seen that, but you're right...it'll get the job done as long as the other side is OK.

Bump

Looking for any info on the mount motor to block bolt size and length for a 2000 5L explorer

7/16 - 14 is coming up often but also trying to find the length

Back