How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install. | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok thank you I hope all goes pretty smooth but god know it never does lol ill post pics when done .

does anything need to be done to the front bumper brackets if you have fog lights?

So the 2 shortest bolts (140mm) that come in the kit are for the front mounts, then the 2 next longest (160mm) are for the mounts right behind the front seats, then the rest of the mounts each use one of the 8 (180mm) bolts? Is this correct?

Do the 2 really long bolts (200mm) get used?

???? Never found an answer

EDIT* Thanks Ronin

well decided to tackle this project today:
got all the blocks in but ran into a few problems (blaming it on the wicked hangover lol) all thats left is steering extension, fan shroud cut and put the bumper covers back on....
3780fd59.jpg

i will post pics of the finished product tomorrow and in about a month with the new wheels and tires:thumbsup:

Looks good
What wheels are you gonna get, cause I'm white and gold like you, and I don't know what wheels would look good

Thanks!!
Either ion 171 or 174 in black or mickey t classic II

This may be a stupid question...but the process and kit would work on an 03 Mounty also...right?

So maybe this has been answered already, but after going thru 10 pages and not seeing it. I just decided to register and ask. Lol. But where do you or how do you lift the body? Or do you just jack it up in each spot of the bl bolt, add spacer, bolt down, lower jack, next location? If do you lift it one side and etc..but where? Thanks, and that last posts of where all the bolts was, was very informative.

You need to have the bolts completely removed from one side, and the other side needs to have the bolts still attached but very very loose.

Then you just put a jack at the halfway point down the length of the vehicle, just inside the frame rail. Put a piece of wood on it (like a 4x4) and jack it up just high enough to put in the lift blocks. Lower it down, insert the bolts, and loosely tighten them. Then remove the bolts from the other side and repeat.

So maybe this has been answered already, but after going thru 10 pages and not seeing it. I just decided to register and ask. Lol. But where do you or how do you lift the body? Or do you just jack it up in each spot of the bl bolt, add spacer, bolt down, lower jack, next location? If do you lift it one side and etc..but where? Thanks, and that last posts of where all the bolts was, was very informative.

The way I did it was had my friend place a piece of 2x4 on the body right in between the body mount positions and place the jack on the wood (so it would space out the pressure on the body itself) then jack it up on one side at a time and insert the block. For the back we had to use the wood to sort of pry the body up just far enough to insert the block. Hope that helps.

I just did mine on Sunday. I loosened them all and did the front two, then the back two. All the others just slid right in. Bolted it all up and tightened it down. I did however forget to disconnect my battery and ended up ripping out one of my positive leads from the terminal connector. AND it's not long enough. I extended it temporarily, but it looks like it's time to do the big 3......

allright boys and girls... here's a question...

how crucial is the steering extension?

I've had my lift for around a year now (or 2? i forget).

anyway... the steering is REALLY loose - and i've tracked it down to the extension. What is the likely issue with removing the extension and putting it back the way it was? Is there a good way to shim the steering extension? thoughts? questions? ideas?

do you have a picture of the extension??

I ended up making mine for my 97 B.L.

DSCN2172.jpg

the one on the left came with my kit for a 1997 f-150. the one on the right I made to be 3" longer to match the body lift

i don't, unfortunately... I also don't have much int he way of machining equipment... I'm going to attempt to cinch up the bolt on the top half... otherwise, i may have to find a creative way to shim it.

I don't think the extension can be removed with the 3" body lift. The two halves of my steering shaft wouldn't even connect without it.

Is the problem that it has play inside one of the ends?

I think you can order a replacement from Performance Accessories if you aren't able to shim the one you have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes - the top end has way too much play... makes gravel roads not fun.

I emailed P.A. and asked about it... see what they can do.

I THOUGHT someone had tried not using the extension with some luck and a 3" lift... maybe not.

Back