Cleaning EGR and other maintance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cleaning EGR and other maintance

xdviper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I've had this EGR malfunctioning for quite a while now, and now I'm going to take action and finally fix it because the truck in the morning with it's hesitation, lack of power, rpm dipps is getting bad as well as the gas economy.

The EGR value seems stuck, dirty or just worn out, I'm not able to tell, there is two holes on the side of facing the left side, and when the truck is idle, I can feel air coming out both holes, I'm thinking about cleaning the EGR valve before replacing it.... For a 13 year old car, you would think parts would be cheap especially for an American car, but that's not the case.
Another tricky situation is that sometimes the computer will throw out 4 codes and sometimes 5 codes, one is for the EGR valve malfunctioning. The other four is for the O2 sensors in either banks, that's another repair for another day, but the EGR has to get fixed.

So my question is, how would I go ahead and clean the egr valve? Any tips on what to use, and how to take it off? I'll be cleaning the IAC at the same time as well, maybe even go ahead and take care of the MAF too if the weather permits tomorrow.
And also, what other maintenance should I do? After all this, I'll be getting the obvious oil change as well.

Thanks

also, 175,3xx miles and counting, stock engine, transmission.... Damn I love this Explorer.
Last years/this years Winter storm in the east coast was fun in this, I won't forget being able to pull out of a parking spot after the garbage trucks kept jamming the snow into the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EGR's generally are not cleanable, and the air out both sides says that the diaphragm is ruptured. Time for a new one.

Thanks for the reply. There's no way I could clean it up? Before buying a new one?
Also I seen one go for $28 on rockauto.com, would that be good enough?

Also I've attached a picture to show the two holes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you can get one for $28 that's a great deal. I replaced mine out of necessity when I did my lower intake manifold gaskets earlier this year. I think I paid around $50 for a new one from O'Reilly's.

Thanks for the reply. There's no way I could clean it up? Before buying a new one?
Also I seen one go for $28 on rockauto.com, would that be good enough?

Also I've attached a picture to show the two holes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

+1 on replacing the EGR. Can't clean a ruptured diaphram.

Back