• Register Today It's free!

My Ford Touch

ellis_pinkie

Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I have the 2011 Ford Explorer XLT here is my new issues with the Ford touch just wondering if anybody has heard of this problem.

The radio does not play at all. UNLESS u take a cd out and put it back in, it like wakes up the system or something. Once u do that u can listen to cd / radio / and sirus radio. The touchscreen does not work though u have to use the steering wheel to browse the system. Also when I turn the car off and open the door the radio plays for an extra 20 to 25 seconds. Very strange in my mind. Has anybody heard or had this issue? I am going into Ford tomorrow to see what they think.

Thanks
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On mine if I put a flash drive in and do not remove it, the next time I get in and start it up the usb drive will start playing even if I turned the radio off when last used! I usually listen to the radio, but if I have a flash drive in, it plays, then I have to switch back to the radio. Also when I start up the sync lady tells me I can not use usb devices while backing up. I have a limited, no nav.
I sure hope the new software upgrade takes care of these problems.

I have the 2011 Ford Explorer XLT here is my new issues with the Ford touch just wondering if anybody has heard of this problem.

The radio does not play at all. UNLESS u take a cd out and put it back in, it like wakes up the system or something. Once u do that u can listen to cd / radio / and sirus radio. The touchscreen does not work though u have to use the steering wheel to browse the system. Also when I turn the car off and open the door the radio plays for an extra 20 to 25 seconds. Very strange in my mind. Has anybody heard or had this issue? I am going into Ford tomorrow to see what they think.

Thanks
Scott

Thats not normal. Pull fuse 29, wait 30 seconds, then reinsert fuse 29. The fuse box is above the parking brake located in a black box. The door pulls right off and the fuse pulling tool is on the back of the door.

When you restart the car, it should say "performing system maintenance." basically its rebooting.

See if that helps. If not, take it to the dealer.

Well I should of never wasted my time at the dealership, they tried everything but the fuse and did not get it to work, I came home pulled the fuse and it worked within in a minute. Crazy how we know much more then the dealerships.

How common is the MFT problem?

I am seriously considering buying a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited but have read a lot about the MFT issues. I am just curious to know how common this problem is and is the 2012 suffering any less when compared to the 2011? Some people mentioned that their issues disappeared with the 2.11 version (supposedly the most current version available), while others said their problem worsen with this new update?

Are there any happy ford drivers out there? Please make some noise.

Thanks,
Charlie.

I got my 2012 Limited 302A this past Saturday. I went to the dealership Friday for a test drive as at the time they did not have the AWD that I wanted. During the test drive of a 2012 Limited FWD, the MFT locked up. I told my salesman I knew about the issue & he said this was the first time he'd seen it. While I was there they received an AWD with the options I wanted but in Silver (I was hoping for Cinnamon). I decided to take the silver. I haven't yet had a problem but expect to. However, when I bought the car I was under the mistaken impression that the update was coming in January. Still, I like the X & can wait for the update.

I got my 2012 Limited 302A this past Saturday. I went to the dealership Friday for a test drive as at the time they did not have the AWD that I wanted. During the test drive of a 2012 Limited FWD, the MFT locked up. I told my salesman I knew about the issue & he said this was the first time he'd seen it. While I was there they received an AWD with the options I wanted but in Silver (I was hoping for Cinnamon). I decided to take the silver. I haven't yet had a problem but expect to. However, when I bought the car I was under the mistaken impression that the update was coming in January. Still, I like the X & can wait for the update.

Upgrade is coming in January. Follow the link.....

http://syncsupport.ford.com/servlet/technology/updates-sync-with-myford-touch

I am seriously considering buying a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited but have read a lot about the MFT issues. I am just curious to know how common this problem is and is the 2012 suffering any less when compared to the 2011? Some people mentioned that their issues disappeared with the 2.11 version (supposedly the most current version available), while others said their problem worsen with this new update?

Thanks,
Charlie.

Count me as one! MFT has been stable for six months, save for only a few maintenance screens due to system hiccups. Not a deal breaker. I think we got lucky with ours.

This has been my first major problem with it but at the same time this is a $35,000 vehicle so if I had to rate the MFT I would give it a 3 out of 10. Is is always so slow. The album work on my external hard drive works for about a week then it cuts the picture in half. There is a reason why they are redoing the whole system and coming out with an update. I would wait to see how this new update goes before buying.

Well I should of never wasted my time at the dealership, they tried everything but the fuse and did not get it to work, I came home pulled the fuse and it worked within in a minute. Crazy how we know much more then the dealerships.

It's like when I go to Best Buy...I don't even know why I ask them questions. I know that I know more than they do.

Thanks
Scott

Hi, Scott!

I sure wish one of us would have caught this before you took your Explorer into the dealership but I'm glad that you were able to resolve the issue! Do you have 2.11 on your X? If not, you may want to think about updating your system. You can do that from home too ;) Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

Thanks,
Charlie.

Charlie, the experience has been varied. There are many owners who have few to no problems and there are owners with major problems and many in-between. I feel it has a lot to do with what you plug into it. I use a Droid X and a USB stick for music and have no real issues. My most annoying issue is that after awhile I get a long pause between songs on my USB stick. Easily fixed with a fuse pull. I do that about twice a month so its not a huge deal.

I would say that voice control works great for music, but generally its very poor for navigation purposes. Also, it seems I have more glitches when I try and use the voice control stuff than other times.

I for one don't find the interface slow. At most there is about a 1 second lag on changing screens and it takes about 10 seconds from engine start to full functionality.

One day I'll post a video of how mine works and see how it compares to others.

If you are concerned:

1.) go to the dealer and hook all your gadgets up and see how it works for you - really play with it for awhile. Make sure the dealer has updated the car to version 2.11.

2.) wait until after January. Apparently there is a major software update and then come back and see how the update fixes things.

Ford Sync breakdown

I am writing with frustration in my new Explorer. After a few days of owing my new 2012 Ford the Sync system stared to malfunction. I called service at my dealership they said they have heard of the problem in another new Explorer bring it in they will do a 2 hour update and should fix my problem. FIX? Nope it has became a huge issue. It will not turn on somedays at all, black screen. We can not turn off the back heater or turn on when we need it. It froze my phone and I can not call anyone or anyone call me thanks to it always connects to my phone and I cant get to the screen most of time to disconnect it. I have drove down the road going forward for my back up cam to stay on for 1 mile or so. It keeps flashing on and off. I have dealt with it being on the radio and showing all the Siruis stations on the screen. Now the biggest issue I am having is my passenger air bags are saying they are off and I can not turn them on. I called the Ford Sync for them to tell me to take it into where I bought it and have it serviced, I called them and was told there is nothing they can do til after the new update comes out the first of the year. I then called back to Ford Sync and hey we will have someone call you back in 24 to 48 hours. Not to mention tomorrow we are headed on a 8 hour drive with 3 kids and maybe no radio no phone or air bag! Thanks Ford for letting me pay $42,000. when I am sure Chevy Traverse don't have this problem! I will update when they call me back I am sure in 24 to 48 hours to see how thi problem is resolved. :mad:

To Ford IV Team. I have rev 2.4 in my 2011 limited, the general consensus is to update to 2.11 to resolve many of the common problems. (black screen, full heat,dome lite staying on, phone paring, touch delay, voice recognition, nav, clock time, pulling fuse to reset system.etc. and I mean there are a lot more!) I am tempted to install 2.11 but it seems that many of the above mentioned problems are not resolved even in the 2012 model year, which I am sure has 2.11 installed. I can't wait for the new software upgrade by the first of the year. January right? Ford really needs to get that out as fast as possible. Waiting.

Thank you for your input!

Charlie, the experience has been varied. There are many owners who have few to no problems and there are owners with major problems and many in-between. I feel it has a lot to do with what you plug into it. I use a Droid X and a USB stick for music and have no real issues. My most annoying issue is that after awhile I get a long pause between songs on my USB stick. Easily fixed with a fuse pull. I do that about twice a month so its not a huge deal.

I would say that voice control works great for music, but generally its very poor for navigation purposes. Also, it seems I have more glitches when I try and use the voice control stuff than other times.

I for one don't find the interface slow. At most there is about a 1 second lag on changing screens and it takes about 10 seconds from engine start to full functionality.

One day I'll post a video of how mine works and see how it compares to others.

If you are concerned:

1.) go to the dealer and hook all your gadgets up and see how it works for you - really play with it for awhile. Make sure the dealer has updated the car to version 2.11.

2.) wait until after January. Apparently there is a major software update and then come back and see how the update fixes things.

Thank you so much for your input!

I have played with MFT some but not the navigation function since they could not activate it until the vehicle is sold (at least that's what I was told). During the whole time, the screen was responsive. I did not feel the lag being the problem for me.

At this point, I think I would rather wait for the new update in January and keep researching to see if the problems get fixed afterward. I still like a lot of features provided by Ford Explorer but the alleged MFT problems keep me feeling uneasy.

Please post some videos when you get a chance.

Thanks again,
Charlie.

I am writing with frustration in my new Explorer. After a few days of owing my new 2012 Ford the Sync system stared to malfunction. I called service at my dealership they said they have heard of the problem in another new Explorer bring it in they will do a 2 hour update and should fix my problem. FIX? Nope it has became a huge issue. It will not turn on somedays at all, black screen. We can not turn off the back heater or turn on when we need it. It froze my phone and I can not call anyone or anyone call me thanks to it always connects to my phone and I cant get to the screen most of time to disconnect it. I have drove down the road going forward for my back up cam to stay on for 1 mile or so. It keeps flashing on and off. I have dealt with it being on the radio and showing all the Siruis stations on the screen. Now the biggest issue I am having is my passenger air bags are saying they are off and I can not turn them on. I called the Ford Sync for them to tell me to take it into where I bought it and have it serviced, I called them and was told there is nothing they can do til after the new update comes out the first of the year. I then called back to Ford Sync and hey we will have someone call you back in 24 to 48 hours. Not to mention tomorrow we are headed on a 8 hour drive with 3 kids and maybe no radio no phone or air bag! Thanks Ford for letting me pay $42,000. when I am sure Chevy Traverse don't have this problem! I will update when they call me back I am sure in 24 to 48 hours to see how thi problem is resolved. :mad:

Hi, Jennifer!

I do see that your concerns have been escalated to the Customer Care Team; a representative should be contacting you soon. I do want to let you know that your airbag issue is not related to MyFord Touch. In the meantime, if you would like to go through basic troubleshooting and try to get your phone to pair, please feel free to contact me!

To Ford IV Team. I have rev 2.4 in my 2011 limited, the general consensus is to update to 2.11 to resolve many of the common problems. (black screen, full heat,dome lite staying on, phone paring, touch delay, voice recognition, nav, clock time, pulling fuse to reset system.etc. and I mean there are a lot more!) I am tempted to install 2.11 but it seems that many of the above mentioned problems are not resolved even in the 2012 model year, which I am sure has 2.11 installed. I can't wait for the new software upgrade by the first of the year. January right? Ford really needs to get that out as fast as possible. Waiting.

Hey, cbx1047!

If you need any help with installing 2.11, please don't hesitate to contact me. One thing you mentioned above as a common problem with MyFord Touch (the dome light staying on) should be checked by your dealer. This is not an issue with MFT.

I also want to clarify the release of the Performance Upgrade. We have never officially stated it would be available in January; the timing has always been concurrent with the launch of the 2013 Taurus, scheduled for spring 2012.

I hope this helps!

Rebecca

I had so many issues with mine even with the 2.11 in it that I pursued the Lemon Law and won, so Ford had to buy it back from me!

I can't believe how many people will accept having to pull fuses, disconnect the battery, etc!

I was not going to live with that.

I had so many issues with mine even with the 2.11 in it that I pursued the Lemon Law and won, so Ford had to buy it back from me!

I can't believe how many people will accept having to pull fuses, disconnect the battery, etc!

I was not going to live with that.

Living with it because the platform is update-able. For some reason many people don't remember what a disaster the first iPhone was, it took Apple a year to have a stable OS update (2.0) come out. The technology even in its broken state is (in my opinion albeit) better than the IVT in any other manufacturers cars at the moment.

I have no doubt that anyone that "WANTED" to get the car bought back could have, it would be much harder now that there is a public announcement of an update on the horizon. Ford is, in good faith, offering updates to legacy owners, and for that I'm willing to put up with the intermittent issues (for now).

My issues with the explorer aren't MFT (it has issues, don't get me wrong) :( I'm willing to live with that, I'm sad about the disgusting customer service regarding all the other problems I'm having (a-pillars, brake squeal, windows streaking, etc).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jennifer, if you like, we can help do some basic troubleshooting. did you try pulling fuse 29 to see if this resolves the issue? For some reason, it seems that lately, some of the more recent posters seem to receive their cars with My Ford Touch already in a screwed up state and fuse 29 seems to remedy the situation.

If that has already been tried and you are still experiencing issues, let us know and there are additional debugging steps we can do. Mostly we would be trying to determine whether there is a software issue or a hardware issue. Dealerships are being trained (unfortunately) to only consider it a software problem, but in reality there are a number of faulty APIM's (i.e. the computer running my ford touch/synch) which is a HARDWARE issue.

As said above, the dealerships generally seem pretty clueless about My Ford Touch and Sync.

Back