Tow package question - 98 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow package question - 98 Mountaineer

Mowens

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD 5.0
So - I am having trouble understanding everything I read on my searches. It is possible I am stupid, so please bear with me. :)

I have a 98 Mountaineer, V8 5.0 AWD. It has a transmission cooler, but no hitch included. As far as I can tell, it is otherwise fully loaded. I also found the wiring for a hitch behind the drivers side tail light. Does that mean that I have the tow package? I was under the impression that the transmission cooler meant I had the tow package. Then, I read another post that said the tow package came with a class III hitch. I am confused. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tow package does come with a Class III/IV on the 3rd Gen & 4th Gen. But no the 2nd Gen.

Thanks for your reply!!!

So what does that mean for me? If I put a class III hitch on my Mountaineer, what else do I need to tow a 3800 lbs trailer?

I thought the trasmission cooler = tow package?

If you have a transmission cooler like this behind the grille, all you need is the wiring harness for the back to get lights, and a hitch.

trans%20cooler%20install%20-%20OEM%20install.JPG

Awesome. Thanks guys! What kind of MPG do you get while towing?

Sounds backwards, but with 4x8 small utility trailer, I have had as good or BETTER MPG...maybe because of O/D OFF and just taking it easier. YMMV

PS: I wonder if the VIN has a character that denotes towing package?

No, the tow package can be factory or dealer installed, so it won't be on VIN.
Transmission cooler is the give-away.

I find that if I put anything behind my explorer my gas mileage drops to 10-12 mpg. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a small, empty, utility trailer, a boat, or a wind-dragging camper.

I just pulled a quad home from up north in my 4' 6" x 10' utility trailer and ticked 15mpg on the return. That was with OD off, and about 100 miles of 55mph, and 100 miles of 70mph.

sounds about right Joe, when i made my trip up north, 130 miles at 70 and 100 at 55, i got about 19 empty with no trailer

Back