How Do You Turn OFF / Disable Interior Lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Do You Turn OFF / Disable Interior Lights?

Post number 9 has been selected as best answered.

CTMom

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield County Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Okay, I just got my new X. I cannot figure out how to turn off the interior lights. I don't see it in the manual. I'm sure I'm just over looking something. Does anyone know how to do it? I don't want the lights to go on when I open the door...I don't mind the ambient lighting going on, I just don't want the domes to go on.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried to turn them off as well when I was cleaning the interior and didn't want to waste the battery. I looked in the manual and it says the switch to the lower left of steering column should do it. Well, I think it controls the DOME light, but the map lights stay on. Very frustrating. Hope someone else has the answer.

I hope they can be turned off....I'll have to try that again....yes, it is frustrating....Thanks for the reply.

Any luck with an answer on this. We are tailgating today and want the rear hatch to be open but we want the interior lights off. Any ideas?

don't they shut off after 10 minutes or when the car is started?

Any luck with an answer on this. We are tailgating today and want the rear hatch to be open but we want the interior lights off. Any ideas?
I think the auto power off should take care of that after 10 minutes. I guess you'll find out. Let us know.

Okay, I just got my new X. I cannot figure out how to turn off the interior lights. I don't see it in the manual. I'm sure I'm just over looking something. Does anyone know how to do it? I don't want the lights to go on when I open the door...I don't mind the ambient lighting going on, I just don't want the domes to go on.
Thanks.
I read a part in the manual under Interior Lamps that makes it look like there may be a link between the lights and the instrument panel dimmer control. " The front row map lamp lights when: the instrument panel dimmer button is pressed until the courtesy lamp comes on. " Perhaps if you reverse this, the lamps will go off. The downside being that the instrument panel lights may be too dim. Try that and see what happens. If that doesn't work then you always have the option of removing the bulbs.

What happened?
Did they turn off?
Did you just dim them to off?
Did you find an off switch?
We await with baited breath!!!!

they are called courtesy lamps and cant be turned off.
they will on there own shut down in 10 min...

heres the owners manual expert. this if i recall when they added this to explorers is a safety feature.

or you can pull the fuse to them, fuse 12 15amp.

The battery saver will shut off the lamps 10 minutes after the ignition
has been turned off.
• If the dome lamps were turned on using the panel dimmer control, the
battery saver will shut them off 10 minutes after the ignition has been
turned off.
• If the courtesy lamps were turned on because one of the vehicle doors
or the trunk was opened, the battery saver will shut them off
10 minutes after the ignition has been turned off.
• The battery saver will shut off the headlamps 10 minutes after the
ignition has been turned off.

I don't know how long it took, but I can confirm that the lights eventually go off. I had all the doors open for about a 1/2 hr while cleaning the Ex this weekend.

I really hate that when I open the doors the light have to go on. I don't like being all lit up like that, especially at night. Every car I have ever owned had the option to switch it off...but not this one. I think the only solution is to pull out the bulbs, but what if I need them on for some reason??

I really hate that when I open the doors the light have to go on. I don't like being all lit up like that, especially at night. Every car I have ever owned had the option to switch it off...but not this one. I think the only solution is to pull out the bulbs, but what if I need them on for some reason??

Maybe it can be programmed by the dealer?

Did you try switching them off while all the 5 doors are closed?

Did you try switching them off while all the 5 doors are closed?
The lights come on when the doors are opened. There is no switch to turn them off to prevent this from happening.

Peter

What happened?
Did they turn off?
Did you just dim them to off?
Did you find an off switch?
We await with baited breath!!!!

Pull Fuse #29? :D

We need a wiring diagram so we know where to put the little hard wired switch to give the ability to turn those suckers off when we want!

yes^ I would like this also. i just want to have them off when you hatch is open playing music. trying to draw as least as possible.

yes^ I would like this also. i just want to have them off when you hatch is open playing music. trying to draw as least as possible.

The power draw from the courtesy lamps would be very miniscule in comparison to what the stereo itself would be.

Interior Lights Disable?

It seems even on the 2014s, the ability to turn off interior lights has been neglected by Ford despite (at least on this forum) much complaining. I know I'm not a fan of being lit up for everyone to see when I'm getting in my car, especially when I'm carrying all my guns/gear/etc that I take to the range. It seems to me to just scream, "Hey! Come break into my car later!". So upon looking through the manual to pull a fuse, there are two options:

Fuse 4, Passenger Side:

Interior demand lamps (overhead
console, second row, cargo),
Glove box lamp, Second and third
row seat release, Visor lamps.

Fuse 12, Passenger Side:

Interior courtesy lamps (overhead
console, Second row, cargo),
Puddle lamps, Console bin LED,
Backlighting.

Now I haven't taken delivery yet otherwise I would have already tried this, but assuming Ford uses the English language correctly when making their manuals, "demand" would suggest the lights come on when you press them whereas "courtesy" would come on as just that, a courtesy when you open the door or unlock the car.
If you were to remove Fuse 12, which yes would disable the puddle lamps as well unfortunately, would you still be able to turn on the lights after the fact with the support of Fuse 4 still being there? Just a thought, it would be awesome if someone was willing to try!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its called black out feature, the Interceptors have it.

If you go to the Ford Interceptor site, download the Modifiers Guide there may be an explanation as to how they program the Interceptor Utility to do that.

Or it may be a dealer ISD tool setting.

If they wont do it look into a plug and play module from InterMotive called the PIM module.

Back