2000 explorer start and dies right away | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer start and dies right away

93explodeder

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt 4x4
HEllo all,

i have a 2000 v6 auto and im having a problem with it, go figure. it will start and then dies immediately, it can be hard to start sometimes but once it starts its fine for a second or 2 and then starts running ruff and then dies. at times you can rev the engine for a second and then it dies. so right now, it will fire, run a second and then dies.

ive searched and i need help on what i need to check and maybe in a certain order.

the fuel pressure to verify its getting enough but since it starts it seems maybe its ok but could be weak

the rollover/cutoff switch that randomly pops, but if it was poped/bad wouldnt it prevent it from getting any gas at all?

fuel pump relay, if it was bad wouldnt it either work or not work?

there are no vacuum leaks and no check engine lights. please help this exploder get back on the road

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try cleaning your Idle Air Control Valve and see if that helps. Sometimes it doesn't do the trick and you will have to replace it though.

That sounds a lot like a lack of fuel pressure, I would put a fuel pressure guage on it to see what you have. Anything electrical can be intermittant or have a bad connection (and I assume that the fuel filter has been changed in something less than the last 100K miles!). By the way, if the pcm power relay is bad you will get the same result, I had one several years ago eat my lunch because of poor connection on the relay pins.

just for the records, the rollover switch is fine, i popped it, wouldnt start, reset it and itll start then die.

the iacv, that would only make it not idle correct? this thing will not do anything, not drivable in anyway shape or form. it just starts norma, sounds great, then starts stalling and sounding like it has a massive cam in it, then dies, no amount of throttle will do anything except when it first starts itll rev then dies

the fuel filter i dont know, i have no record of anything done to it, i am going to check fuel pressure and replace the fuel filter and if it has low/zero pressure ill put in a new fuel pump

IAC valve

My 2000 SOHC V6 will cold start fine with the IAC valve electrical connector disconnected but then rapidly dies. Even if not the source of your problem replacing the fuel filter is a good idea if it's been more than 30,000 miles or you don't know how long it has been. See Why change fuel filter?
Testing the fuel pressure is easy and worth doing: Fuel pressure test procedure

checked fuel pressure, max of 18psi after many starts, average about 10-15, pressure drops to zero after it dies, im guessing fuel pump for sure, the filter will be replaced first just in case it is massively clogged and then see if it starts, but with it making 15psi and dying, im almost positive its the pump. anyone agree or disagree?

The fuel pump should be at zero if the engine is not running? Isnt there a thread on here about checking for fuel in the vacuum line? I know in the past anytime my BBC's had too much lope and die was because it was loading up with too much fuel. I know with them I'd turn fuel pump on and off being it was on a switch. But I was wondering if the engine shuts off then you shouldnt have fuel pressure because the pump is off. Try starting it, and turning if off to see if you still have fuel fuel pressure. Half of my post is a question, so if it seems like Im not sure, its because im not.

good luck,
shooked<///><

its a returnless fuel system so no fuel pressure regulator to check, im replacing the filter, and then if its still bad the fuel pump assembly

Start with the pump...it's done.

HEllo all,

i have a 2000 v6 auto and im having a problem with it, go figure. it will start and then dies immediately, it can be hard to start sometimes but once it starts its fine for a second or 2 and then starts running ruff and then dies. at times you can rev the engine for a second and then it dies. so right now, it will fire, run a second and then dies.

ive searched and i need help on what i need to check and maybe in a certain order.

the fuel pressure to verify its getting enough but since it starts it seems maybe its ok but could be weak

the rollover/cutoff switch that randomly pops, but if it was poped/bad wouldnt it prevent it from getting any gas at all?

fuel pump relay, if it was bad wouldnt it either work or not work?

there are no vacuum leaks and no check engine lights. please help this exploder get back on the road
Try unplugging the Mass Air Flow Sensor before doing anything else. I had the same problem and it turned out to be that. Started up and ran fine when I unplugged it. Hope this helps anyone having the same problem.

Sounds like a bad fuel pump or possibly a split hose inside the tank.
15 psi is way too low, should be around 60 IIRC...

Back