• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hooks w/ Safari Bar

LLSTRIKES96

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Has anyone figured out a way to bolt on some tow hooks along with a Westin Safari Bar? I've looked into it but the bracketry covers up the pilot hole that everyone seems to be using. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put tow hooks on my X with my Outland Brushguard. I bolted them on the outside of the guard where the drop brackets from the frame bolt to the brushguard. I had to drill the holes in the guard and the drop brackets out slightly to get the tow hook bolts through. To beef up the mounting point, I ran a 3/8" thick x 1.5" wide x 15" long steel bar from the frame down to each tow hook on about a 45° angle. I bolted the bars to the frame by drilling a 1/2" hole in the frame and using Grade 8 hardware. They seem to be pretty sturdy, but I'm thinking about putting some cross bracing in to help support the hooks if I have to pull on a sharp angle.

Makes sense. Did you take off the bumper when you did it?

Nope, didn't have to. The way my brushguard attaches you don't have to. It has drop brackets that go down from the bumper mounts around the bumper fascia. The brush guard attaches to the drop mounts at about the point where the air dam is. I had to cut slots in my air dam to put the brushguard on, and widen them for the tow hooks.

I guess my setup is a bit different

DRAPER,
Could you explain more on where u put your tow hooks? I have a brush gaurd also and am thinking of drilling two holes on the drop brackets and installing the tow hooks.

I just took my bumper off (easy, five minute process) and then I drilled holes in the bottom of my brush guard bracket and inserted threaded plates into the frame bars and bolted the hooks up. That info should work for 95-97 explorers.

Originally posted by SCEXPLORER
DRAPER,
Could you explain more on where u put your tow hooks? I have a brush gaurd also and am thinking of drilling two holes on the drop brackets and installing the tow hooks.

I have the Smittybilt Outland on mine, and the drop bracket that goes between the frame and the brushguard itself has two bolts at the bottom that attach the brackets to the brushguard. They matched up almost exactly to the two holes in the tow hooks. I had to ream them out a little to get the bigger bolts for the tow hooks in. I also attached a 3/8" x 1.5" steel bar from the rear hole in each hook up to the frame on a 45° angle to give it more strength. I went down to the local CT Farm & Country store and got some longer hardened bolts to replace the ones that came with the hooks. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera to take any quick pix for ya.

Tarheel,
Hey not to be an a$$ or anything but I just think this is funny. I started the thread over 4 MONTHS AGO! The original post date is August 6th. Maybe you should use the search funtion eh eh? LOL

Back