For Sale - Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL

Just read through this entire thread and I'm impressed. The work Brandon is doing looks top notch and the reviews certainly are positive.

I had 2.25/2" RoadBully spacers on for awhile. The truck looked great, but rode really rough and my ballpoints certainly paid for it. I am definitely interested in possibly re-lifting my Ex now that Brandon has a "full" solution. So my question is this, what are the smallest spacers that can be installed? I don't feel like going as high as before. Would a 1.5/1" be possible or is that too small a spacer to work with? (thinking about the space between the body and flange to work with). And if anybody knows, would a smaller spacer affect the ride quality less?

If you want the optimum ride, you need to install BTF extended UCA and combind the RoadBully spacers with Rancho QuickLift Loaded.

The ride will be like a deream.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have read that when you angle your control arms down, the ride quality is always going to take a hit. From what the article said it's a result of more of the impact force being directed into the frame (angled control arms) vs into the strut/spring combo (flatter control arms). It would seem to make sense that this is a matter of degree; so the taller the spacer the more the arms are angled downward and the rougher the ride.

I did some measuring on my truck and it looks like 1" front and rear spacers is the max you can go without ANY control arm/spindle contact on the springs (that's with the uniball arms installed too) and no rear axle to frame contact. Of course if you use limiting straps you can go taller but at some point you're not going to have much downtravel before the straps need to stop the suspension components from touching. So I think your idea of a mild setup is a good compromise.

I'm running 1.75" in the front and all I had to do was cut the mounting studs on top of strut down shorter to keep them out of the way when installing. 1.5" shouldn't be too much different as long as you can get the upper bolt in between the flanges and through the upper mounting hole. In the rear I doubt it would fit unless the upper bolts were elimnated and Brandon put in some studs.

Alternatively you could disassemble your struts, knock the mounting studs out of the strut top, and replace them with longer hex head bolts of the same diameter. That way you can just slide the BTF spacer over the longer "studs" and then install it just as the stock strut would go in...so working with very short spacers would no longer be a problem.

I guess it just boils down to whether Brandon can make 1"-1.5" spacers. If he can I would buy some.

James, when you say 1.5" spacers you mean the physical hight of the spacers is 1.5" or the resulted lift is 1.5"?

The Truxxx front spacers for 4th gen physical hight is aproximatly 1.75"

James, when you say 1.5" spacers you mean the physical hight of the spacers is 1.5" or the resulted lift is 1.5"?

I mean the actual physical height of the spacer.

If you want the optimum ride, you need to install BTF extended UCA and combind the RoadBully spacers with Rancho QuickLift Loaded.

The ride will be like a deream.

I sold my spacers a year ago or so when I removed them. Sold them to a member here, so I'd have to buy new spacers as well as the UCA's. Brandon's price of $770 Doesn't seem too bad.

So you have the Rancho QuikLift system as well as the spacer lift? Obviously you like the ride quality. I assume you have the Rancho controller as well? If so, when the suspension is 'raised' with the QuikLifts and the spacers, how much lift do you achieve? I was considering either the QuikLift system or BTF spacers. I hadn't thought about combining the two.

And Ronin, the truck is looking great. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and when I was talking about 1.5/1" spacers I was referring to the physical size of the spacer, not the amount of lift.

I sold my spacers a year ago or so when I removed them. Sold them to a member here, so I'd have to buy new spacers as well as the UCA's. Brandon's price of $770 Doesn't seem too bad.

So you have the Rancho QuikLift system as well as the spacer lift? Obviously you like the ride quality. I assume you have the Rancho controller as well? If so, when the suspension is 'raised' with the QuikLifts and the spacers, how much lift do you achieve? I was considering either the QuikLift system or BTF spacers. I hadn't thought about combining the two.

And Ronin, the truck is looking great. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and when I was talking about 1.5/1" spacers I was referring to the physical size of the spacer, not the amount of lift.

I have Rancho QuickLift Loaded Struts only without MyRide system

the total lift of Truxxx spacers + Rancho Ql + 32" tires is 3.8"

The buity of this combination, is that gives you the ground clearance without sacrefing stability by giving the ability to choose the stiffness of the struts according to your requirements

High Way
front: 7
rear: 4

Sporty Driving (to minimize body roll and stabilize the truck better than stock but the ride is kinda harsh)
front: 9
rear: 7

Towing and Hauling
front: 7
rear: 9

Rock Crawling
front: 4
rear: 4

In addition, Rancho Struts have more travel than Ford OEM Struts which leads to more wheels articulations and better off-road performance

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321900

So the truxxx front spacer is 1.75" tall? I hope I do not run into any problems because I am going to be combing the btf 2.25" front spacer with the rancho quick lifts. I will be running btf uniball upper a arms and do plan on using limit straps. Just need everything to come in so I can see what length straps I need. I have the front spacers and QL already:
QuickLift.jpg

So the truxxx front spacer is 1.75" tall? I hope I do not run into any problems because I am going to be combing the btf 2.25" front spacer with the rancho quick lifts. I will be running btf uniball upper a arms and do plan on using limit straps. Just need everything to come in so I can see what length straps I need.

You should be all right since you're going to be using limiting straps but I don't think you're going to have a whole lot of downtravel. Uptravel will be good though.

I guess I will have to measure the down travel before and after. I hope I don't loose too much. Down travel is pretty important to me (you wouldn't think it is since I chose a spacer lift...just workin with what's available for these rigs). I know I plan on strapping it before the upper arm makes contact with the coil. I'm doing rear straps too so the axle does not hit the frame. I am doing just the QL in the rear though since I prefer a nose high/raked/prerunner look.

Received my BTF Uniball Upper Control Arms today:
BTFArms.jpg

Only had them for an hour then sent them directly to get powder coat.

Received my BTF Uniball Upper Control Arms today:
BTFArms.jpg

Only had them for an hour then sent them directly to get powder coat.

NIce, I think I will be ordering me some here soon.

How is everyone liking their extended UCA? Im really looking into getting a set when I have the funds.

I love them. I do need to get some limit straps put on though. The top of the spindle just touches the coil spring. There isnt any binding or anything but I beat the truck pretty good and want to avoid that and possibly blowing out the struts when the suspension fully droops out. The peace of mind in the desert is well worth the cost!!

I love them. I do need to get some limit straps put on though. The top of the spindle just touches the coil spring. There isnt any binding or anything but I beat the truck pretty good and want to avoid that and possibly blowing out the struts when the suspension fully droops out. The peace of mind in the desert is well worth the cost!!

Mine does the same thing. You shouldn't blow out a strut from overextending .....you aren't getting full downtravel due to the spacers. On my truck with 1.75" spacers in front I'm losing around .5" to .75" of downtravel at the strut because the spindle touches the spring. Because you are running 2.25" spacers you are probably losing 1" - 1.25" of downtravel. At any rate, the straps are a good idea to keep the parts from rubbing together.

How is everyone liking their extended UCA? Im really looking into getting a set when I have the funds.

they've been awesome....it's nice to have piece of mind and not have to worry about blowing out balljoints.

Hey guys Im new to the thread. Just wanted to ask where can I get the Truxx and BTF lift products for a 02 Explorer XLT.

Hey guys Im new to the thread. Just wanted to ask where can I get the Truxx and BTF lift products for a 02 Explorer XLT.

Welcome Beastmaster. You could skip the Truxx lift altogether and just order custom spacers and the arms from Brandon at BTF. His contact info is on page 1 I believe, if not its a sticky on the main 2002-2005 Modified page.

The reason I say to skip the Truxx set up is that apparently you need to modify some of the bolt holes to get it on. And it comes in one size. The BTF set up is custom and does not need to to be fiddled with once you get it. Again, main page sticky will tell all about the spacers too.

Good luck with whatever you do and let us know how it goes.

Welcome Beastmaster. You could skip the Truxx lift altogether and just order custom spacers and the arms from Brandon at BTF. His contact info is on page 1 I believe, if not its a sticky on the main 2002-2005 Modified page.

The reason I say to skip the Truxx set up is that apparently you need to modify some of the bolt holes to get it on. And it comes in one size. The BTF set up is custom and does not need to to be fiddled with once you get it. Again, main page sticky will tell all about the spacers too.

Good luck with whatever you do and let us know how it goes.

Cool thx for the help.

Got spacers and ordering ucl next week.

I have the spacer lifts installed. The front end of my truck feels sloppy. You can mostly feel it over the bumps. Would the UCA take care of this? At times it almost feels like a vibration. Could it be something else?

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the spacer lifts installed. The front end of my truck feels sloppy. You can mostly feel it over the bumps. Would the UCA take care of this? At times it almost feels like a vibration. Could it be something else?

Eric

did you get an alignment after you installed the spacers?

Some thoughts as to why you're noticing this problem:

-your stock ball joints could be worn out, allowing for extra slop in their movement.
-This type of lift is going to affect ride quality...the upper and lower control arms are operating at an increased angle over stock, which allows more vibration from bumps to be transmitted into the frame of the vehicle rather than into the springs/struts.
-This type of lift angles your swaybars downward which makes them less effective...making a set of extended swaybar links will help your swaybars work effectively again and reduce body rolling on bumps and turns.
-This type of lift allows your struts' extended length to be beyond what the suspension geometry was designed for. the result of this is at some point your front spindles are going to hit the front coil springs as the spindles travel downward. How likely this is to happen depends on the the height of the spacer. With tall spacers it can happen quite frequently, even while driving on the street (speedbumps, off-camber surfaces if they are steep enough and you drive over them in a certain way, etc).
-How old are your struts? When they start to go out, they dampen bumps less effectively.

The new upper control arms are a little longer so they make it a little easier to get the alignment back into the factory specs. the uniball joint is also stronger than the stock type ball joints and it won't wear out/rip out like a stock ball joint does when you are flexing out the front suspension a lot.

Back