Upgraded seat package and DVD headrests | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded seat package and DVD headrests

Optimus

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Hi folks,

Just picked up a new loaded 2011 limited with the luxury perforated leather seats - love the car btw! We also got the DVD headrest package. Wondering if anyone else has this setup and noticed the DVD headrests they give you don't support your neck at all?

When I put my head back I'm almost looking at the ceiling. If we got in an accident our necks would be toast. The stock headrests are twice as thick as these DVD versions for this reason. I'm taking it back to the dealership to have them removed because that's not safe in any way shape or form.

Any one else have this experience? I wonder if the DVD headrests haven't been safety checked with the upgraded seats. They look like they'd be fine with the regular leather seats but the luxury perf'd one's have extra padding at the base of the neck that the other seats don't have. Hmm...

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really don't think that they would release a factory approved option without safety testing it. I also don't really recall 'neck padding' being a point of mention as much as head movement in relation to the torso to reduce the chance of whiplash- that's what it is supposed to do, not cradle the neck.

Maybe I didn't describe it very well. The padding at the top of the chair is for the top of your shoulders and quite comfortable. The stock headrests are really thick to account for this and totally support your head. If you sit in these chairs they're amazing.

Now the DVD headrests are about half as thick so when sitting there your head can't reach them unless you tilt your head back so far you're looking at the ceiling. Try removing your headrest and trying to put your head back. That's how they feel.

I've had a dozen people sit in the car and all have immediately said they're not meant for those seats. Even the sales manager agreed right away and is uninstalling them with a full refund.

They look like they'd be perfect in the regular leather seats... But not the upgraded perf'd one's.

Wondering if anyone else experienced this...

did you try to pull the headrest forward? I know if you pull the headrest forward, you will get a series of clicks. the headrest locks in to that position at each click. if you want to move the headrest all the way back again, you just pull it all the way forward and then it will move back.

I wish they did. These DVD headrests only move up and down. No forward tilt. According to the dealer there's only one style too.

The stock one's tilt forward of course.

Such a shame. Would love to have DVD headrests

A lot of us have just used headrest mounted portable DVD players or iPads for far less cost than the factory option. And you get to keep the "nicer" headrest. The factory system is quite "stand alone" in nature anyway.

Ah ok... That makes more sense. Yeah, that would concern me too then... Didn't notice that on the ones we've rented, I'll have to look at that.

I'd add that if safety is a goal, I wouldn't use just any portable mount. My neighbor up the street was in an accident recently and his son's portable DVD player flew off the headrest and hit his daughter in the right eye, not sure if she's going to gain sight back- they can become projectiles unless you have the right kind of portable mount.

My neighbor up the street was in an accident recently and his son's portable DVD player flew off the headrest and hit his daughter in the right eye, not sure if she's going to gain sight back- they can become projectiles unless you have the right kind of portable mount.

That sucks:(
We never leave the portable DVD's installed, I only install them for long highway trips.

Ah ok... That makes more sense. Yeah, that would concern me too then... Didn't notice that on the ones we've rented, I'll have to look at that.

I'd add that if safety is a goal, I wouldn't use just any portable mount. My neighbor up the street was in an accident recently and his son's portable DVD player flew off the headrest and hit his daughter in the right eye, not sure if she's going to gain sight back- they can become projectiles unless you have the right kind of portable mount.

How unfortunate! Gosh, imagine what a stroller or a purse could do as well! Christmas is coming, better strap down those items as well.

I'm all for safety and understand your point...but you're driving around in a big open air vehicle with many things that are not strapped down. I cinch my headrest dvd around the headrest with a strap or cable tie it to the hard points.

we ordered the dvd headrests and had the same problem. turns out, they have to order headrests specifically for the explorer, and many dealers are using universal ones instead. after 6 months of *****ing we finally got them to replace the dvd headrests with the correct ones. they are identical to the stock ones, but with dvd's in the back. i made a topic about it awhile back..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317983

Thought I would give an update... Should have done this back in November but forgot.

We took the car back to the dealership and I had both the sales guy and manager sit in the seats. They both immediately said that it wasn't right and they'd take them out. The manager said "If I paid over 50k for a car I would not expect it to be that uncomfortable". They said it doesn't look like there is a DVD headrest that matches the upgraded seat package very well.

We bought an iPad instead and saved $1,000. Problem solved.

Thought I would give an update... Should have done this back in November but forgot.

We took the car back to the dealership and I had both the sales guy and manager sit in the seats. They both immediately said that it wasn't right and they'd take them out. The manager said "If I paid over 50k for a car I would not expect it to be that uncomfortable". They said it doesn't look like there is a DVD headrest that matches the upgraded seat package very well.

We bought an iPad instead and saved $1,000. Problem solved.

i have the 2 tone perf seats and my DVDs were factory, in a box,already in headrests, inside the car when delivered. Dealer installed with factory harness, not an easy job. Works fine and a perfect match. I still have original headrests in the box.

Back