• Register Today It's free!

Aqua truck not starting?

TheBigRD

Reaction score
City, State
Holyoke Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
93&94 explorer sport
I sank my aqua truck for 3 days, got her home, dumped the water out of my oil pan, did couple oil changes, got her running on her own power. Parked her on the street since may, it's gonna snow soon in mass, need to get it starting on it's own. Replaced fender mounted solenoid, got starter checked, connections from bat from n to are not corroded or nothing, all I'm still getting is one(1) click out out of starter, nothing else. Ideas please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try to spin the motor by hand? If it was under water and hasn't ran since may those cylinder walls could be pretty rusty.

The one click thing sounds like bad connection somewhere. One quick and dirty test would be to use a jumper cable to go from battery neg post to the engine block. Peel back the insulation at the bat terminals, make sure it's not a bunch of green powder in there. How did you test the starter?

I put this starter in earlier this year, feb maybe checked the connections replaced the eyes that slide over the starter. Then after I sank it in may it started on it's own with a lil starter spray, it ran fine, idled even better with tune up, so I parked it in the street since then, now it only starts with another car jmping, hot wiring the starter, I could hear the starter spinning then engaged ignition to crank it over, it did kick over and eventually idle, towed it with some seatbelt hillbilly towstraps around the block & got it on the proper snow ban side of road. I got starter checked at auto store, but it passed. Bolted it back in- only one click still?

Connected the bigger studs on the starter with a wrench then it begins spinning, turned ignition to crank engine

Bad connection from corrosion somewhere would be my guess it sounds like an ignition switch going bad.Not the key cylinder but the switch on the steering column.Used to have to open the hood on the big truck and do the same thing about 3 times a year.:D

Check you battery cables. Sounds like a short in the harness. I do know that the 1st gens have an issues with the cables cause i replaced both positive and negatives on my 93 and 94. The ground is a single cable with a connection in the middle to ground to chassis. either try to see if the cables corroded, or just replace both cables.

I've actually replaced both positive terminals on both my 93- & 94 aswell, the factory ones got chewed up over the years, when I got the vehicles it was one of the first things I did imidiatly after I bought them. I haven't done the negatives, they are tight even though they look bad, cables bound to them fine, got a new starter, plugging in tomarrow, the old one didn't spin after thrown, so that may have been it.

I need to figure out where I'm going ot get slave cylinder done, I can't do it myself, I don't have enough to pay someone to fix, and the truck is at a weird distance from the ground I can't use a normal transmission jack, and it's too short for a two stage, a friend suggested I dig a hole in my yard and he would let me use his floor jack- such a redneck- by old man isn't gonna let me do that he barely let's me park it in driveway, don't have 600$ to blow on a trans jack that goes 7"-33" wicked lame, can still just start it in gear in take off, might be only option when it snows.

Fired up my aqua truck today, Took the bat out of my daily driver, little starter spray, she eventually fired up, and is starting on her own power.

Now I need to do as mentioned above and figure how imma get the slave cylinder fixed. Need to drop transfer case n trainsmission, figure out what's goin on in there. Before it used to piss dot fluid every time I pushed clutch pedal in. Now it won't shift at all when engine running and i engage the clutch. I hope my tranny is still good.

Back