3rd Gen Air Box Mod | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Air Box Mod

just finished this up, i have a 93 explorer xlt with a flowmaster 50. i cut a 3x4 hole on the airbox. Didnt really notice a difference with sound but it has alot more get-up-and-go. Overall, very satisfied with this mod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did this the other night. There is a noticeable difference just by taking off the silencer. I'm not sure if there is much or any more hp gain from any more holes. Here is how mine looks:

2011-10-15_22-00-13_743.jpg

I have a v8 02 Explorer xlt....what should I do as far as intakes go???

I have a v8 02 Explorer xlt....what should I do as far as intakes go???
There is a whole thread on this. How long is your money (start here)

There is a whole thread on this. How long is your money (start here)

I got the bread to spend..I seen 200 k&n kits on ebay....but I noticed folks in here doin mods for the low...I rather not spend the money...but If I have to...

What I did was start out with removing the silencer tube and drilling the added holes and then moved on to the K&N when I had the extra cash off ebay. I would say skip the first part. Enjoy the savings and the pleasures of the K&N.

What I did was start out with removing the silencer tube and drilling the added holes and then moved on to the K&N when I had the extra cash off ebay. I would say skip the first part. Enjoy the savings and the pleasures of the K&N.

ok...so you got the air intake kit?...how does it sound..I already have an exhaust currently and that sounds good

Your exhaust sound will over power any intake sound, it will just run better.

its been a long time since i started this thread, and i cant believe how much attention it has gotten...

im out of the explorer game now, but i do check in once in awhile to see progress of the guys that i posted alot with...

Nice to see you again mate :)

Yeah man, this thread has helped me a whole lot. Although ironically enough I'm having idle air issues at the moment... :/

its been a long time since i started this thread, and i cant believe how much attention it has gotten...

im out of the explorer game now, but i do check in once in awhile to see progress of the guys that i posted alot with...

out of the game, what happend Caldwell? and nice to see you back on

Good to see ya back. What happened to the Explorer?

X2 ^^^^^^

I just did this mod, and I can already feel a huge difference in acceleration. I dont have that roar, because I only made a few holes and removed the silencer. However I do feel like my explorer is a bit more responsive.

Should I drill more holes?

Take the silencers off of the intake tube and plug the holes. I did this a few weeks ago and cleaned the throttle body and now I am getting almost 21 MPG

Take the silencers off of the intake tube and plug the holes. I did this a few weeks ago and cleaned the throttle body and now I am getting almost 21 MPG

I've been averaging around 15-16 mpg city/highway combined so maybe I'll give this a shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean the holes that we drilled to do this mod? Plug them back in?

Back