Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was one. I got the trans out of it and got the computer and harness and sold it to another member on here.

is that the setup you got gregg?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Great thread!

I was wondering, do you have a complete list of parts needed to swap the manual tranny in? I'm starting to buy parts for the swap in my 94 and have one list from a guy on TRS, but want to know exactly what I need. Do you have any more pix of the tranny swap you did?

IMAG0241.jpg

Did you do some work to those lower coil spring retainers on the axle to get the coils inward more? If so, how did you do it? I'm thinking of using them on the full width D44 with stock F-150 R/A's, using JD upper coil buckets for the 5.5" EB coils JD has.

I just re drilled the holes further over. Around a inch i believe it was. Between that and the offset the upper buckets have built into them it stands the spring straight up.

Havent been on much lately. Havent done a whole lot to the sploder. Just driving it everyday, and wheeling it every chance I get. Moved and got a new job making decent money so more mods will be coming soon.

Here is a video if you hold your head sideways. lol
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=223153871073103

Only new mods. Beadlocks and 37's. No good pics yet.
IMAG0200Small.jpg

IMAG0203Small.jpg

IMAG0204Small.jpg

Got the missing pieces for the swap kit from Ruff Stuff today. They have great customer service by the way.
IMAG0180.jpg

Picked up a stick of DOM the other day for the steering and track bar
IMAG0171.jpg

Serpentine clutch for my York compressor also came in today. Got a gasket kit on the way for it also.
york.jpg

york2.jpg

york3.jpg

Also mr cribb came up yesterday and traded a set of power doors off my parts Explorer for his manual doors. Now to see if I can find a set of blue manual panels for them to put in mine.
Ever get this installed?is that compressor made for this.how are you mounting it also?

Recent wheeling pics.

390817_242859839102506_100001354740824_648831_1464500602_n.jpg

392719_242857859102704_100001354740824_648809_70990011_n.jpg

384315_163057577122950_100002561251505_268869_150781778_n.jpg

300242_2678061949608_1198048237_3204511_1031416378_n.jpg

302957_2785223788587_1198048237_3252543_26220313_n.jpg

374760_253235908064899_100001354740824_676293_359872912_n.jpg

Stuffs the 37's. Might have to do a little trimming. lol
386095_253236348064855_100001354740824_676294_1200757052_n.jpg

Put in a Centerforce clutch and ddm tuning 55w 5k his kit in the 2 Hella lights since last time. There bright as heck now.

Got a set of the oval led truck lights to put in the rear bumper for reverse lights and picked up some winch rope today to put on the winch. Need to order a hawse fairlead now. Might get around to some more pics. I been slacking here lately.

That is a true beast right there. And I love the sticker. :D

how did i not see this thread before? guess i haven't been on much lately.

dude, your explorer is coming out awesome. one of my fav's on the site for sure, all you need now is an exo cage.

i found this thread last night, and after having read through it was inspired to get my ass going and fix the little **** on mine thats needed repairs for a while.. bump stops and things, so i did that today

Got a chance to do some little stuff before work today.

hids in the hellas, and new winch rope and fairlead.

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

Picked up a led 3d maglite at lowes few weeks ago for $15 so figured id put on the the sploder.

IMAG0246.jpg

Put some led lights in the bumper for reverse lights.

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

Back