The Beginning of the End run (2012 hangover cure) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Beginning of the End run (2012 hangover cure)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pivot bushings are only 6 months old and don't move by pry bar.

RA bushing 'looks' good and no cracks in the bracket but I guess I have to take the brackets off to get a good look at the bushing. RA/beam bolts are 2 hands-2 feet put your back into tight.

Ball joints were new last January. Greased before every run (or after).

Coil spring retainer nut was loose (didn't get it tight after checking the RA/beam bolt)

Blinker fluid has been replaced with higher viscosity.

Muffler bearings are stainless steel cause of all the snow wheelin.

I' really starting to lean towards the RA bushing so I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

It could also be the tranny mount. I had a clunk for years back in the day and when I did the SAS it was still there. Swapped out the tranny mount for a poly manual tranny mount (energy suspesion doesn't make one for the auto) and the clunk went away. The only difference is the mounting location to the crossmember is narrower on the manuals than the autos. Drilled a couple of holes in the crossmember, installed mount, clunk gone.

High mark of the day was 4780ft with no tracks, the drifts were just to deep on the windy sections. We made it the the Helicopter pad and then around to the next rock slide/pit and turned around. We went up the overlook above Ceadar lake on the other side also. The snow was a little deeper then the last time we went up there with everyone but someone had plowed it out the night before almost to the top on that side so we only had to make the last few hill climbs. The snow was good powder but I couldn't crawl in the stuff at all, just packed up on my front bumper and stoped me. The back up and hit it again method ended up being the most affective :D

I still have snow on the ground here at the house.

It could also be the tranny mount. I had a clunk for years back in the day and when I did the SAS it was still there. Swapped out the tranny mount for a poly manual tranny mount (energy suspesion doesn't make one for the auto) and the clunk went away. The only difference is the mounting location to the crossmember is narrower on the manuals than the autos. Drilled a couple of holes in the crossmember, installed mount, clunk gone.

The 'clunk' is coming from the left front wheel, not the RA bushing area (which I replaced yesterday but still have the clunk), nor the pivot bushing area.

It's triggered by rotational torque like when brakes are applied. Sometimes I can feel it spring back to it's original position when I let off the brakes.

(BTW, tranny mount is about 1 yr old, changed it hunting for highway vibration which ended up being the pivot bushings)

I think it's down to RA/Beam bolts or ball joint. Gonna need some help tracing this one out.

I jack the tire an inch or so off the ground and use a long pry-bar aginst the floor and the tire and move it up and down. Have someone help you so you can watch and see whats moving...

I jack the tire an inch or so off the ground and use a long pry-bar aginst the floor and the tire and move it up and down. Have someone help you so you can watch and see whats moving...

Done that, no vertical movement. I think Paul is gonna give me a hand searching for it in the next couple days.

Blinker fluid has been replaced with higher viscosity.

I'd go back to the OEM fluid, that might do it. . . . Wait, did you fill the "turn signal" resevoir with "blinker" fluid ? ? ? That's probably it. . .

Let me know. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

I'll probably be up for it!

Lacky, we could always carpool up there... but I completely understand if you want to drive your own Ex :)

IMAG04242.jpg

EK98 said:
I'll probably be up for it!

Lacky, we could always carpool up there... but I completely understand if you want to drive your own Ex :)

I don't mind hitchin a ride! Ill throw some gas money your way

I'd go back to the OEM fluid, that might do it. . . . Wait, did you fill the "turn signal" resevoir with "blinker" fluid ? ? ? That's probably it. . .

Let me know. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Doh! I topped off the blinker fluid.

Topped off the Turn signal reservoir and got about 5* turn on the bottom arm/beam bolt. All quiet now, ready to go!

Sounds like fun.
Alas, I cannot go.
No, not because of work or family or because I stubbed my toe.
body_off_640x480_440x330_400x300_.jpg

This weekend I have begun the process of giving the Ex-250 a new body...yes, the old one, after 9years has been worn out.
And while the body is off...why not throttle body injection?

Ryan, I'd like to buy some more of the steel tube from those tire cages.

Oh yeah, sorry you don't think you can go, I'm sure there's a way.

got plenty of the steel left....in fact, dad's looking to sell the house and shop very soon, so it's all gotta go anyways.

got plenty of the steel left....in fact, dad's looking to sell the house and shop very soon, so it's all gotta go anyways.

Maybe I can run up there next weekend and remove some for him ;)

Ryan, . . . Oh yeah, sorry you don't think you can go, I'm sure there's a way.

Ryan - Looks like I've got an empty front seat again, if you want to come join us. . . Will definitely have the grill and plan on picking up some stogies to start the New Year's health craze on the right note. . .

Sounds like fun. Where?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, where are we going? Green water? Need to plan the trailer parking....

Back