I think it's the A4LD blues? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I think it's the A4LD blues?

I haven't done the gas pedal mod as I wasn't aware of it until now. What I was talking about is the instructions that come with the transgo shift kit. It says you must do it their way which is far different from the standard way, I put the just of it in my last post. I see what you are talking about, I said it only moves 1/4" but what I meant was when I slide it all the way in I still have a kickdown even though their's so much slack that when I floor it the cable doesn't move. How does it still kickdown? I had my Dad floor it while I was under the truck and nothing moved, yet I still have a kickdown.

Speaking of kickdowns, While test driving last night I noticed that, and this seems relevent, while driving in 3rd(D) if I floored it it would kickdown into 2nd normal and when the 2-3 shift came it felt good. I tried this probably 12 times and everytime it shifted good but ONLY if I made it kickdown into second first, no flare just a solid shift.:dunno:
I really would like some input on that please.

The only reason I mentioned the VB gaskets is for if I was to just loosen the VB then retorque. I would never drop it and not replace the gaskets. I feel word for word how you do about leaving 1 more thing to question.

The check ball I was refering to is the one the Transgo shift kit says to add, but they don't put one in the kit. Odd since they are so adament about installing it.

I read somewhere that a 2-3 flare which requires a lift foot to shift is caused by a shift solenoid malfunction but it was on a 97-98, so could that be my problem or since I have a different tranny is it not possible.

I'm leaning toward dropping the VB again since I want to properly torque and go through all the bores again. I'm suspecting a sticky spool but it would help to know which ones could cause my issue so I'm going to order the ATSG A4LD manual. I will do a pressure test first so I have an idea what's going on. I'd like to know which other upgrades are worth doing since It'll be out but I refuse to spend more on the VB than what the tranny is worth all together.

Thanks for the advice, I actually look forward to dropping the VB again since I know what to expect and it'll go much quicker this time. 7 more quarts of tranny fluid, if I keep having to do this I'll own controlling percent of Castrol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would figure out what is going on there with your kickdown cable, the ATSG manual keeps pointing you that way. It is suppose to move, if it isn't you have a problem.

I would add the check-ball if they suggest it. I remember that I did.

The valve that is controlled/has input from the modulator is the one I would wonder about. If the modulator is operating properly then maybe that valve is not. Maybe some dirt got in there when you changed the modulator? Just thinking...

The 2-3 flare in the newer transmission doesn't apply to the A4LD, that one is computer controlled and it is usually a electronic pressure controlling valve and blown VB gaskets that cause that.

I haven't given up on it yet but I've been working 12's and it looks like it'll be 7 days a week for awhile so that's bad for the A4LD in two ways. First and most obvious is that I have no time to tinker with it, and B, with all the extra money and it'll be alot I may quit screwing around with it and buy a M5OD.

When I get a minute I'll adjust the kickdown per instructions on this site and quit messing around with the way Transgo says to do it.

It's been about 8 months since I did the shift kit and other work on the tranny and the 2-3 shift flare just got better on it's own. At this point it shifts great, nice and firm. However my wife says when it's cold out the tranny feels like it goes into neutral at the first stop. she puts it in reverse until it drops back into gear then it'll drive fine. I haven't felt it but it happens every morning to her if it's cold only. After a mile or so it doesn't happen again all day. If it's 40*+ it doesn't act up.

I have a feeling it's the governor but any insight would be appreciated.

Did you ever check your modulator to make sure you do not have the C-5 modulator? I still think you have a VB issue. Did you get the kickdown cable working properly?

When the governor malfunctions you get a 1-2 no shift when cold.

The modulator is correct and yes the kickdown cable is working properly.

I have been searching the sticky governor symptoms and you're right, it always points to a 1-2 shift issue I guess I was just wishing. Does the governor only affect the 1-2 shift?

I'm driving it to work tomorrow so with any luck it'll act up so I can feel for myself what's happening.

Thanks Wood1 for giving me advise.:thumbsup:

Shift solenoid

Is there a way to bench check the 2nd and 3rd gear shift solenoids after removal?

9 volt battery or a 12 volt power supply will work. Spray some WD40 or something similar with the straw into the solenoid when energizing to make sure it opens.

a square metal spacer came out when i was cleaning the Valve Body from my A4LD tranny. There are spacers with notches in them, but this is completley square without a notch. It fell out and i do not know where to install it now? any suggestions?

Back