Custom grille for a 2011 Explorer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom grille for a 2011 Explorer.

I'm getting a white lmtd and really like the look of the grille. HOWEVER, I really would like to replace it with a metal grille that looks just like the OEM...not a big fan of plastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wheels looks awesome as well. I'd love to get my stock rims painted black like that.

Looks like everyone is getting on board with these black Aries nerf bars :)

Your truck looks nice, I like that you painted your brake calipers. Any chance you have a FYI for that?

Aries nerf bars are next I guess. My comment, Ford should have offered the limited in all paint for the body. It just looks classier. Nice x for sure.

The wheels looks awesome as well. I'd love to get my stock rims painted black like that.

Thanks. Just make sure you have them powder coated and not painted. Paint will not hold up to chipping like powder coating will. Note the center beauty caps are plastic and can't be powder coated. They'll need to be painted. I did a thorough job of sanding with 220 then 320 sand paper. Painted using a rattle can of Bumper and Trim paint from English Color auto paint. (This is the same paint I used to paint the grille.)

FYI, here's a cost break down on the process.

Powder coating (Cross Link Powder Coating, Dallas) $320
Remove, replace and balance tires (Discount Tire) $100
New valve stems $20
Can of Bumper Paint (English Color) $7

Hope that gives you some info to help you make your decision.

Looks like everyone is getting on board with these black Aries nerf bars :)
Too bad you don't get commission on the buys! :)

Your truck looks nice, I like that you painted your brake calipers. Any chance you have a FYI for that?
Thanks. I painted the calipers while I had the wheels at the powder coat shop. I unbolted the calipers and held them up with strong zip ties. I removed the outer brake pads and then gave them (calipers) a good cleaning with caliper cleaner and a toothbrush. I could have removed the other pads too but didn't feel it warranted the work.

After the calipers were really clean and dry I made a hole in a kitchen trash bag and wrapped the disc, hub and suspension parts as best I could. Next I began to carefully mask all the parts I didn't want paint on, most importantly the pads that were still on the caliper. Then I masked the rest of the wheel well with trash bags. Next I masked the fender area with paper drop cloth, making sure to extend it well away from the wheel area. Because I was using spray rather than paint on I had to do a good job of masking.

At first I wasn't sure I wanted to make the calipers black or blue so I painted them black first. I decided that the rears were too small to go with black, after all if black clothes can make a person look "smaller" it would have the same effect on the caliper. So I decided on blue. My goal was to get close to the Ford blue so I figured blue over black would help.

I expect that in a couple of years or so they'll need a new coat and at that time I may have them powder coated but that's quite a lot more work.

I'll be at SEMA this year looking at products for the new Explorers. I'll be posting photos and manufacturer info. Stay tuned;):chug:

I painted mine myself. Took it apart completely, sanded well and painted with bumper black paint in a rattle can from the auto parts store. Here it is on my '11.

IMG_5349.jpg

Thanks gstuartw, had been thinking of doing it for a while, your picture convinved me to go ahead.

I painted the grille of my base model to look like the limited with a minor difference, used Matt black (like you did) instead of Tuxedo black body Colour. However, i kept the chrome parts. Also got a black ford logo (overlay). Paint job cost $135. Black ford logo overlay set (front grille, steering wheel and back door) cost $40.

LM614 Do you have pics of your ford overlays?

Yes pics of the overlay

Looks good

Thanks for the write up gstewart. Might be something for next summer.

Back