Magnaflow Catback installed... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Magnaflow Catback installed...

as an update...I took my Ex on the highway for about a 50 mile trip. I forgot to reset my trip to get mileage, but I did find out where the drone is. At around 50 MPH (1700 RPMS) it gets semi heavy. I guess its not the end of the world because I don't drive 50 miles an hour very often (normally higher, or lower)...but it's definately there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In response to all I agree that its not the end of the world and yes I bought it to increase sound. I think it could be a few db less and it would be a great system. I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it but I'll keep driving for another 1000 miles or so and make a decision. As for the speed it seems to be right around 45 to 55 and unfortunately for me 90% of my driving is done at those speeds.

I wonder if there is a decent way to tone it back just a little without ruining the setup.

It wouldn't hurt to give the folks at Magnaflow a call to ask if they have a solution. It may be as simple as dropping a heat shield, adding some sound insulation, and reinstalling the heat shield. That said, I really know nothing about that stuff!

Mine just arrived today. The drone issue now has me a bit concerned but I guess I have nothing to do but then to install and see how it sounds.

Razzie how was the install? It looks like you had yours done at a shop? Is the installation pretty straight forward and does it just bolt on or is there welding involved? If bolt on I don't see why I can't install myself right?

Mine just arrived today. The drone issue now has me a bit concerned but I guess I have nothing to do but then to install and see how it sounds.

Razzie how was the install? It looks like you had yours done at a shop? Is the installation pretty straight forward and does it just bolt on or is there welding involved? If bolt on I don't see why I can't install myself right?

The install is completely bolt on. The only thing that sucked was getting the old exhaust off. The connection at the cat was super tight and had to be pounded off with a hammer.

The install is completely bolt on. The only thing that sucked was getting the old exhaust off. The connection at the cat was super tight and had to be pounded off with a hammer.

What had specifically had to be pounded? Enough so that it damages the old one?

What had specifically had to be pounded? Enough so that it damages the old one?

Shouldn't damage the old one....mine is sitting in the middle of my garage in 2 pieces now.....

Shouldn't damage the old one....mine is sitting in the middle of my garage in 2 pieces now.....

I used a 4 pound mallet, the rubber hammer thingy mabob and it didn't damage it at all. Lube it and let it penetrate some of the rust and it'll slide right off. I sent back my CGS piece of crap exhaust back and just had the OEM rewelded. Still sounds far better and quiet, might just leave it like that until I decide what I'll do if I go magnaflow or wait for Borla.

Hi, did you install it ? Its a bolt on install

So how did you guys like it ?

Nice thread! exhaust looks great but i personally think it sounds tacky. but ive never been a fan of magnaflow anyway.

great detail and documentation of before and after, thanks!

Gas mileage

what about he mileage dammit!

OK guys here is my insight on the Explorer 3.5
Left South Bend IN to Phoenix AZ
Total miles driven 1928 When I left IN truck had 3292 when arrived 5220 miles
total Gals used 86.49. By my figures 22.29 mpg. Now I went down for winter
so had back end pretty full and I was driving 75 most of the time. I had one
day of high winds OK. and into Texas that tankfull got 19 right on the button..
Left Albuquerque NM and drove into Phoenix and got 26.2 on that tank and some
down hill on SR 17. I think if you drove it 55 to 60 I belive on a trip you could eazy get 28 to 29mpg. I have Magna flow and a drop in K&N filter. Before the
Explorer I had a 08 Equinox Sport and going to Phoenix Got 23 mpg driving the same speed. I do get better mileage in the Ex driving around town than the
Equinox. Sorry about the long post but thats my take on EX. Love the truck
so I am not sorry I got it and so far no problems!!!!!!!

Jerry

OK guys here is my insight on the Explorer 3.5
Left South Bend IN to Phoenix AZ
Total miles driven 1928 When I left IN truck had 3292 when arrived 5220 miles
total Gals used 86.49. By my figures 22.29 mpg. Now I went down for winter
so had back end pretty full and I was driving 75 most of the time. I had one
day of high winds OK. and into Texas that tankfull got 19 right on the button..
Left Albuquerque NM and drove into Phoenix and got 26.2 on that tank and some
down hill on SR 17. I think if you drove it 55 to 60 I belive on a trip you could eazy get 28 to 29mpg. I have Magna flow and a drop in K&N filter. Before the
Explorer I had a 08 Equinox Sport and going to Phoenix Got 23 mpg driving the same speed. I do get better mileage in the Ex driving around town than the
Equinox. Sorry about the long post but thats my take on EX. Love the truck
so I am not sorry I got it and so far no problems!!!!!!!

Jerry

I would LOVE to know how to get that mileage......If I go over 70, I drop to under 22....and my sweet spot of about 62 will only get me to a max of 25...and I tend to baby it when I'm on the interstate just to TRY to improve my mileage.

The Explorer certainly loses a lot due to aerodynamics as the speed increases. I average about 75 on the highway and my overall mileage (rural living) is ~17.6 mpg.

Funny thing I just nitoced in the parking lot tonight- the big van and F-series trucks seem to have flush mounted glass in the back windows yet the Explorer has that funny gap around all of the rear glass. Not very aero. If you want to make a push for 30 mpg maybe you could fill those gaps and fold in your rearview mirrors.

Sound is getting better after a few thousand miles.... drone its almost gone..... or maybe I got used to it, who knows LOL

Sound is getting better after a few thousand miles.... drone its almost gone..... or maybe I got used to it, who knows LOL

I've noticed the same thing....I still will get a drone but the range isn't nearly as big before. It's now about 51-52 mph instead of between 50 and 60

well 2 and a half years have passed.... and I still love it... I get compliments from coworkers and friends everytime I start the EX, this mod along with the CAI really makes her sound mean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well 2 and a half years have passed.... and I still love it... I get compliments from coworkers and friends everytime I start the EX, this mod along with the CAI really makes her sound mean.

How's the finish holding up? I had a Magnaflow cat-back on my F150. The whole dang thing was pitted and rusting from pipes to muffler to polished tips. I loved the sound but swore I'd never buy another one due to the way the stainless held up (or didn't hold up) to the elements.

I'm thinking maybe painting the whole system (minus tips) hi-temp black just because the choices for cat-backs on the Sports are very very few. The magnaflow is at least reasonably priced.

Back