• Register Today It's free!

HELP SOS won't start.

mountaineerbeast

Reaction score
City, State
Socorro, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
After a night of 8 degrees in New Mexico my truck would not turn over. I turned the key to start it but all that happened was a single click and thats it. I've already tested the battery and it's fine (new actually). I've checked all the fuses that could be causing the problem and they are all fine.

I think that it's either the solenoid:( (just bought one will install tomorrow) or its the starter motor:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After a night of 8 degrees in New Mexico my truck would not turn over. I turned the key to start it but all that happened was a single click and thats it. I've already tested the battery and it's fine (new actually). I've checked all the fuses that could be causing the problem and they are all fine.

I think that it's either the solenoid:( (just bought one will install tomorrow) or its the starter motor:mad:
Quite possible the solenoid, but I Would bet on the battery cables. Check them first. Don't just look at them, cut the covering back a ways and inspect thoroughly for corrosion.

Terminals are clean, put the new solenoid in and got the same thing.

So i think it's probably the startermotor.

Isn't he starter motor on the bellhousing? If it is then the snow i was driving through is what destroyed it then.

I would just buy a new reman Starter motor/solenoid from AZ. but like stated above check the cables carefully, my moms jeep had a really bad problem with the wires being corroded inside the lining.

Terminals are clean, put the new solenoid in and got the same thing.

So i think it's probably the startermotor.

Isn't he starter motor on the bellhousing? If it is then the snow i was driving through is what destroyed it then.
If snow killed your starter, then we are all screwed.

I run through deep snow and deep puddles n such all the time, never once gave me a starter issue.

Starter motor was just tested and there's nothing wrong with it.

So i really have almost no idea what it could be.

Perhaps you might want to "follow the money... -> voltage"... :) by checking to see you are getting voltage in and out of your relay AND that it is making it to your starter. Of course, it might also help us if you indicted what year your vehicle is and some of the option you have (ie. stock anti-theft, after market, after market remote starter, etc).

As cliche as it sounds, checking the ground connections between your battery and engine and then starter is a good idea. Just set your meter to the minimal setting you have and put one lead on the negative battery terminal, not the cable, then the other lead on a clean section of the engine block. If you don't get well less than .5 ohms you should redo the ground cable on the engine block. Theoretically, in order to get say 400 amps to the starter (on the low side) the connection should be about .03 ohms on a 12 v system. The same goes for the positive but generally doesn't cause as much of a problem.

Well i found the issue. The starter motor must have been stuck or something because i put the starter motor back on after it had been tested and my 97 Mountaineer started right up.

Back