Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread

EDIT 6/30/05: I have successfully installed a BW4406 from a Ford Expedition. Pictures of the install begin on page 8 of the thread.

Pages 1 - 7 are research for the swap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK. I want to really nail this down. I would like to get 4low in my V8 Mountaineer, with 6bolt, 31spline 4R70W.

I DON'T NEED AN ATLAS!!

Since this is the same transmission pattern that is used in the fullsized trucks such as the Bronco and F150 a t-case should be able to be found that mates up. What t-cases were used?

The real problem will be fitting? I know the older F150s and Broncos used the BW1356, and the BW1345 in manual versions. Does anyone have the demensions? What about the newer 4406 T-case from the expedition?

As used behind the full size Bronco:
NP208, Part time, chain, 2.61:1, 80-86
BW1345, Part time, chain, 2.72:1, 80-88
BW1356, Part time, chain, 2.69:1, 87-96

As used behind the F150:
BW4406 (Electronic, Electronic w/control-trac clutch, Manual)
BW1356 (Electronic, Manual)
BW1345 (Manual)
NP208 (Manual)
NP205 (Manual)

What about other creative solutions?

I'm looking for cheap cost as well as simplicity. Wiring is no problem if the t-case is electric. Fabbing a shifter shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to go the route of putting in an expensive advanced adaptors conversion and using a 1354 or 4405 control trac. That's over 500 for the adapter, and at least 150 to get the tailshaft installed in the tranny. There has to be a better way!

I'm posting this for two reasons: 1) I realy want 4low. I don't need AWD. 2) My front driveshaft took a crap, transfer case is acting weird. Rather than replace, I'd like to replace that stupid CV joint and AWD t-case.

To make things more complicated, my 97 has the VSS in the t-case tailshaft ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updates...

It works great! I love having 2wd for gas miliage, 4 auto for snow and rain, 4hi for extreme slippery, and 4low for off-road.

I am also still running the F150 front driveshaft. The vibrations aren't bad at all, and a custom CV jointed shaft is a lot of $$$.

Sorry to bump a old thread, but I need some clarification. Does the Expedition's 4406 with Control Trac have a 4-position switch, then? Or are the options 2WD, 4auto, and 4low? How can you select 4hi full-time (cycling the transfer case clutch) and 4hi part-time (with the sliding collar in the case like you mentioned earlier)?

The only other case I know of with that sort of selectability has one more option (neutral), the NV-242 (2WD, 4hi full-time, 4hi part-time, neutral, 4low). Its 4hi full-time mode is done with an open differential in the case, however.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I used the Explorer's 3-position switch and electronics (4auto, 4hi, 4low) and also did the "brown wire mod" with a secondary on/off switch to get a total of: 2hi, 4hi, 4auto, 4low.

/Begin_Thread-Hijack

LOL, what a great read! Again, awesome work bud, but yea, bumping an oldie thread :p

Did a little research and found the following:

If you have a 98-01 Explorer with control trac (Auto, 4Hi, 4LO) and do the 5.0 swap, you have another option here.

If you want to retain control trac with the 4406, then you need to get an E4406 from a 99-02 Expedition/Navigator. 97-98 had the 2wd option (2wd, auto, 4hi, 4lo).

Just checked the wiring for both vehicles, and the E4406 (99-02) will plug right into the Explorer harness and electronics and work with no wiring mods I can see. What V8BoatBuilder did (and please, correct me if i am wrong) is modify the Explorer Gem/electronics to take into effect the 2wd option. With the 99 model year, Ford eliminated the 2WD option for the 4406 case, thus making it act just like the 4405 V6 control trac case.

Discuss :D

/End_Thread-Hijack

so what is the difference between the E4406 from a 5.4 and the E4406 from a 4.6?

I've been offered one from a 2001 5.4 F150... but I'm sure this isn't gonna fit... am I right?

Si

so what is the difference between the E4406 from a 5.4 and the E4406 from a 4.6?

I've been offered one from a 2001 5.4 F150... but I'm sure this isn't gonna fit... am I right?

Actually I think they are the same. According to car-part.com they don't even differentiate them by motor. The 5.4 and 4.6 have the same bellhousing and therefore could even fit the same trannys.

Thanks, but I want to be doubly sure before I spend the sort of money people are asking up here for a tcase...

Si

I don't think I ever posted this, but I found another solution for a rear t-case behind a 5.0L.

I found a Jeep NP208, which is 4" narrower than the Ford NP208 and fits between the Explorer frame. I transferred the Ford input shaft into the Jeep t-case. The input shaft is too long to bolt the t-case to the trans but I wanted a clocking ring anyway and that pushed it out far enough.

Lots of info in this thread,but, I have a simple question that I might have missed the answer of. Couldn't we simply use the older M1356, as was discussed breifly, and simply install a later VSS into the speedo able housing to generate the signal for the comp. without having to argue with the GEM??? We just acquired a 98 "X" 5.slow AWD for my wife today, and we are all ready looking at monkeying with it some. Thanks for the thread at any rate!

I've read through page 11 on this and still haven't seen what I'm looking for so I thought I'd ask. I just installed a 4406 in my 96 explorer attached to the tranny but I'm still waiting on the engine to get back from the builder. When I originally bought all the supplies to put this 4406 in, I got the sport tank and a 97 expedition rear d-shaft. My rear shaft has the double cardon in it and appears to be about 5.75 inches too long. Did anyone else run into this? Is there any reason I shouldn't use a double cardon and have the shaft shortened?

Here is a photo of the 4406's 4wd selector behind the shift motor:

13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_53.jpg

In comparison, here is the shift flange of the BW4405. Notice how the "N" position is in the same position as the 4406's locked 4hi. If I can get my hands on the "neutral tow kit," then I can enable the mechanical locking for 4hi. Currently the setup merely locks the clutch electronically.

13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_56.jpg

Can someone explain this to me - specifically, the "lock the clutch" vs. "mechanical locking" aspect, and how the neutral tow kit would be involved?

The clutch is an electro magnet that originally was operated by the traction control system (aka "Control Trac" or 4WD auto). Mechanical lock is when the shift motor (or gear selector) is used to mechanically lock the transfer case in 4wd with gears. "lock the clutch" means putting power to the magnetic clutch, "mechanical locking" is locking the t-case in 4wd with gears.

I think I see...

So, the A4WD/ControlTrac system could put the thing into 4H if it sensed the need, but one couldn't manually apply 4H?

It depends on what year your truck is. 95 & 96 was 4WD auto and no option of 4WD high (mechanical lock). 97 & up had full time 4WD auto with the option of manually selecting 4WD high. There is a modification on here called "the brown wire mod" that would allow you to have any combination of 4wd you wanted. Research it.

By the way. The stock transfercase that comes with any V6 explorer does not have the ability to mechanically lock in 4WD, it only gets 4WD with the electronic clutch. The 4406 transfercase, which is an upgrade modification for the 96- 01 V8 trucks has the ability to mechanically lock 4WD.

You can research "4406 swap" as well.

I'm familiar with the brown wire mod - my bigger confusion is over how the neutral tow kit would be functional here to mechanically lock into 4H.

From my thread about a potential V8 swap into my Explorer:

I actually have the neutral tow kit already installed in my Explorer - the original owners towed the Explorer behind their RV.

If I'm understanding things (and I'm not sure I am), then it would seem to be that one needs to engage the neutral tow feature on a originally-4405-now-4406-equipped truck in order to lock in 4-High.

The only problem I see with that is, the procedure to engage neutral tow is, per Ford:

1. Start Engine
2. Ensure vehicle at complete stop and in 4WD Auto
3. Place transmission in neutral
4. Turn ignition switch to off (but not locked steering)
5. Depress brake pedal for 5 seconds
6. Neutral tow indicator blinks then stays solid, transfer case in neutral
7. Leave ignition in off position, shifter in neutral while vehicle in tow

Having played around with this in the past, I'm not sure you'd ever be able to lock the 4406 into 4-High and actually be able to drive anywhere, since you'd disengage the neutral tow by starting the engine and shifting out of neutral.

Unfortunately, V8BoatBuilder didn't ever come back and talk about this more, past that statement up there, and now seems to be an inactive member, last posting in March of 2012, last visiting in January of this year. :(

Not sure if I missed something, or what. I appreciate the responses immensely!

Back