Looking into purchasing a 2012 Explorer, have some questions regarding MFT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking into purchasing a 2012 Explorer, have some questions regarding MFT

KebGreg

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Dodge Charger
Hey everyone, nice forum you have here.

So I'm looking into trading in my Dodge Charger for something that can handle snowy conditions better, and the Explorer was pretty much at the top of my list (because of it's pretty looks and luxurious interior), until I started hearing some bad things about MFT. I want to hear opinions from current owners, not just random internet trolls, so I figured this would be the right place.

Firstly, how stable is MFT right now? I understand it was rather unstable, but I know it's had several software updates since the reviews I've read came out. I also know that a fairly major overhaul is coming down the pipeline early next year. But how common are serious malfunctions? I've heard 'horror stories' of people's radios and AC blasting uncontrollably while their MFT glitches out and reboots.

I'll be taking one for a test drive in the next couple of days, so I'll be handling the system myself, but I'm wondering if the system is as ungainly to use as I've been led to believe. Does it become more intuitive as time goes on?

Lastly, if I decide against wanting to go with a MFT equipped Explorer, what is the highest-end model that they make which has standard controls?

One more thing; this isn't MFT related, but Consumer Reports states that the current crop of Explorers is somewhat unreliable. I'd like to hear some opinions about how reliable your Explorers have been.

Thanks a ton in advance everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone, nice forum you have here.

So I'm looking into trading in my Dodge Charger for something that can handle snowy conditions better, and the Explorer was pretty much at the top of my list (because of it's pretty looks and luxurious interior), until I started hearing some bad things about MFT. I want to hear opinions from current owners, not just random internet trolls, so I figured this would be the right place.

Firstly, how stable is MFT right now? I understand it was rather unstable, but I know it's had several software updates since the reviews I've read came out. I also know that a fairly major overhaul is coming down the pipeline early next year. But how common are serious malfunctions? I've heard 'horror stories' of people's radios and AC blasting uncontrollably while their MFT glitches out and reboots.

Thats hard to say for sure. While I have very little problems, others have reported more serious issues even with the latest software. However, why that is, I have no idea. It should be the same hardware/software for everyone. I think many of the differences in experience boil down to what you want to attach to it (what phone, what audio device, etc...). I would recommend testing the exact car you want to buy with your exact peripherals (iPod, usb audio, phone, etc). Maybe see if the dealer would let you take it overnight.

I'll be taking one for a test drive in the next couple of days, so I'll be handling the system myself, but I'm wondering if the system is as ungainly to use as I've been led to believe. Does it become more intuitive as time goes on?
It's not ungainly. Its actually very intuitive. There are four corners of the system, Phone, Nav, Climate, and Radio. Those that say it's ungainly or unintuitive are primarily motor trend editors that are pissed that their gearhead dials are now gone. One thing though - the voice control is pretty useless with respect to Nav functions (but I find it awesome for the music control).

Lastly, if I decide against wanting to go with a MFT equipped Explorer, what is the highest-end model that they make which has standard controls?

One more thing; this isn't MFT related, but Consumer Reports states that the current crop of Explorers is somewhat unreliable. I'd like to hear some opinions about how reliable your Explorers have been.

Its been pretty reliable for me - no real problems yet aside from an occasional MFT glitch. There are known issues - there is a tinny sound that comes from the roof when it rains (there is a huge thread on that). The A-pillars tend to buzz in high wind at high speeds (huge thread on that). Some users report a brake squealing at low speed at around 8k miles (a small amount of users). Some early build 2011's have defective fan units which leads to overheating in some cases - but reports of that problem have died down as the defective units are replaced (there's a TSB on that). That's pretty much the extent of the major problems. The brake squeal apparantely has a TSB on it FWIW.

Thanks a ton in advance everyone!

Also keep in mind that when you read this forum, you're getting an oversampling of people with problems because people without any problems don't tend to find their way over here!

I have had almost no problems with MFT 2.11. The handsfree bluetooth is the only complaint I have .It is terrible. I think it makes the voice commands unreliable. The rest works great. The is also a fair amount ot wind noise on windy days. That A-Pillar issue is real. I used silcone all around the gaskets on the windshield. Its much inproved. I have about 29,000 miles on it now. One other issue are the headlight. If you tow and have any tongue weight it will casue people to flash there brights at you. I think all cars with the projection headlights have the issue. I do like the X and would by again. It would be a great car with some minor refinements that look like they will go unaddress

I've only had mine for 5 days, but I haven't had any problems with MFT other than spotty voice recognition with NAV. The new update coming out soon is supposed to have improved voice recognition software so I'm betting on that improving (keeping fingers crossed).

As far as the highest model without MFT... I think it would be an XLT with the 201 or 202 package? Just do a build your own on ford.com to be sure. If you want leather and NAV I'm pretty sure you have to have MFT.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going over to the dealer's now and all your advice will come in quite handy.

Hey, I went at test drove an Explorer today.

I decided that if I go with an explorer, I'll probably get the Sync-only (no MFT) XLT; MFT just seems unintuitive and like a disaster waiting to happen. I hadn't realized how completely it takes over the dash, and the functions of the vehicle.

I liked the Sync-only version quite a bit though. I wish it had a GPS map option (according to the dealer it only comes with turn-by-turn navigation, for five bucks a month), but that isn't a deal breaker.

jrmexplorer did a great job of answering your questions and I would have given the same responses!

I really enjoy my Explorer aside from the few issues which are:
  • Streaky Windows (when you roll your front windows down, there is a greasy line left on the glass when you put them back up). Ford has a TSB on this.
  • Wind noise from the A-pillar which I had fixed.
  • Occasional MFT reboots but mine is rebooting by design (system maintenance) other than that mine works really well (like jmexplorer said, this is based on how I use it).

The new MFT update will be out in a few months so those concerns should be limited in your purchasing/leasing decision.

I'm use to more power but less gas mileage (goes hand in hand). I find at highway speeds the punch is not there.

Bottom line.... I highly recommend buying the Explorer!

Let us know what you decide!:thumbsup:

I decided that if I go with an explorer, I'll probably get the Sync-only (no MFT) XLT; MFT just seems unintuitive and like a disaster waiting to happen. I hadn't realized how completely it takes over the dash, and the functions of the vehicle.

I liked the Sync-only version quite a bit though. I wish it had a GPS map option (according to the dealer it only comes with turn-by-turn navigation, for five bucks a month), but that isn't a deal breaker.

Choose wisely especially if your buying not leasing (because buying it you will have it longer). The MFT is so nice and going to be great with the new update!

I love the colorful screen in the center stack and all the info it displays.

I honestly would not think as highly of my explorer without the MFT and LCD screens in the dash but I'm an I.T. guy and really into technology.

Good luck!

Mft

No way I would skip the MFT! It is awesome....3500 miles here and have had two reboots and a couple of times when voice button or something else didn;t respond, but overall it has been great....I stream music from my Android phone, I say the name of a song and play it on my Ipod, I load podcasts and other music ad hoc from a USB stick...hitting the voice button and saying weather map is priceless along with traffic along your route. I would not be without it.

I test drove a non MFT edge while trying to decide if I didn't want MFT and i didn't even put it in drive. The biggest advantage to having MFT for me isn't neccesarily the center stack so much as the right side of the instrument cluster. I'm looking forward to the new update though because I think it'll make the center stack much more usable while the vehicle is in motion outside of the audio screen.

MFT just seems unintuitive and like a disaster waiting to happen.

The MFT issue is WAAAAAAY overblown. Some on here put their sole focus on it and ignore the rest of the vehicle. Ignore them.

I think your dealer was mistaken. You can get a gps option on the MFT system (I think its around $795 off the top of my head) and the turn by turn is free for 3 years and after that it becomes $5 a month. Just out of curiosity what dealer in NJ did you go to?

That was Quality Ford on route 17 in...either Carlstadt or East Rutherford, not sure which. But note that he was talking about the sync only vehicle without mft. He said it used to be free turn by turn on it but now they sell it for five bucks a month.

I think your dealer was mistaken. You can get a gps option on the MFT system (I think its around $795 off the top of my head) and the turn by turn is free for 3 years and after that it becomes $5 a month. Just out of curiosity what dealer in NJ did you go to?

I don't think he was mistaken. You can only get NAV if you have MFT.

That was Quality Ford on route 17 in...either Carlstadt or East Rutherford, not sure which. But note that he was talking about the sync only vehicle without mft. He said it used to be free turn by turn on it but now they sell it for five bucks a month.

Hi, KebGreg!

Your dealer was correct. SYNC Services is offered independently for $60 a year if you purchase an XLT with SYNC. If you get MyFord Touch in the XLT, SYNC Services will be complimentary for three years.

Let me know if you have any questions about either system!

Rebecca

I agree with comments saying boards like this get an oversampling of complaints. However, MFT is still a very first gen product and the volume of customer complaints and negative professional reviews provides corroboration to the MFT complaints on this board. The biggest proof of all is that Ford itself is aware of the problem and thankfully is taking this issue very seriously.

Overall, I like MFT when it works (it was one of the reasons I bought the Ex), but go in with your eyes open because MFT for me has been very unreliable because when it doesn't work, it is very frustrating. I have figured out elaborate workarounds to get bluetooth stereo, USB audio, and other things to work but at random times, these features just don't function. Also, my nav at random times won't work (now, I print maps from Google whenever I go somewhere new/ why did I pay for nav?). Frustratingly, these issues go away so I can't point to a problem and say fix it. This is the first car I have owned that I just don't rely on advertised features (I wish it just had an audio jack because I know that would work).

MFT could be great and my recommendation would be to wait till the upcoming update (if you can) to see if it fixes the problems. The car itself is great. I am willing to give MFT and incomplete and will withhold judgment until the next big update. I just wish Ford would have expanded its beta test pool more because in my experience, the pool they have is a skewed sample that will not let them effectively test for issues likely to be encountered by the much broader sample of owners in the field.

I agree with comments saying boards like this get an oversampling of complaints. However, MFT is still a very first gen product and the volume of customer complaints and negative professional reviews provides corroboration to the MFT complaints on this board. The biggest proof of all is that Ford itself is aware of the problem and thankfully is taking this issue very seriously..

+1

Go to any dealer, pass the sales dept and head right to service. Ask them if there are any problems with MFT. :rolleyes:

Last time I had mine serviced (oil change, etc) she asked any other issues, I said MFT. She said "you and everyone else"! I said do you want to know the issues? She said they already know....

That said no other real problems BUT the MFT problem I have would be a deal breaker if I had to do it over. I hope it all gets fixed with the new update before those with no problems get bit.

Back