New here...what's the box by the rearview mirror? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New here...what's the box by the rearview mirror?

jchristian79

Reaction score
Hey all, I just purchased an '05 Exploerer XLT 4x4 V8 on Friday. It has 63k miles on it and is in perfect shape according to the Ford dealer I had look at it. It's mostly fully loaded and came with brand new 20" rims & Toyo tires which I hope to replace with all terrains soon :)

Being new to Explorers I found this forum to be a treasure trove of answers! I already new the Blend Door Actuator was out and thanks to this forum figured out I can replace it relatively cheap.

I do have a question though. There is a small black box attached behind the rearview mirror that I can't figure out the purpose of. There is a satellite radio button on the stereo so I thought it might be the sat receiver but when I push the SAT button on the stereo it says no satellite.

So, what is the purpose of this black box? I would like to install an iPod adapter into the Satellite port but may not if the satellite receiver is already installed. Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the sensor for your compass.

Steve

Yup, that's the compass.

Ah, ok, thanks!

So, is there any way to tell if that Sat receiver is installed?
>>>>>>>>

If you have your vehicles manual, you can find out what types of factory radio's Ford put into these Explorers. I read up on them a while back in my manual. The one I have, is the am-fm, 6-cd changer, satellite capable radio. I don't subscribe to satellite service, so I'm assuming if I did, the radio I have could receive a satellite radio signal. If you need to download the owners manual, "BigRondo" just posted a link to it to someone else in here the other day on another topic. I forgot to copy his link but I'll go back and look for it and try to get back to you later.
Update: Below is the link from BigRondo to download the owners manual:

Dead Link Removed

Your '05 does not have a satellite tuner built in. I had to add one to my head unit.

Yup, that's the compass.

Speaking of the compass, does anybody know the region code for Europe? I checked my owners manual and couldnt find anything on it. Mine is always stuck on "South."

Speaking of the compass, does anybody know the region code for Europe? I checked my owners manual and couldnt find anything on it. Mine is always stuck on "South."

I checked the most recent owner's manual and it looks like it has a better zone map.

Dead Link Removed.

Once you have downloaded it, check pages 17 & 18 for the zone map and instructions for calibration.

Good luck, I hope this helps out!!:D:thumbsup:

Yup, that's the compass.

the guy/company i bought my truck from told me it was a remote start unit, but since it was a repo, he said the fobs were never recovered.....lol :rolleyes:

the guy/company i bought my truck from told me it was a remote start unit, but since it was a repo, he said the fobs were never recovered.....lol :rolleyes:

Steve, I call BS on that guy!! :p:

Here is the compass info from my owner's manual. Notice that the compass is highlighted in blue!

ZoneAdjustment.jpg

Calibration.jpg

It's a line that they use, it is in fact a camera that the goverment uses to spy on you, haven't you seen Person of interest?

Not to hijack the thread, but Kazer, you know you can buy replacement fobs off eBay, and get a competent locksmith to load them in the system for a ton less than the dealership will charge, right?

I've gotten fobs out of the Junkyard. 8 on offs of the ignition, then hold lock and unlock on the fob worked great for me, it since right up. Only 2 fobs max per truck...I've tried having more.

Hey all, I just purchased an '05 Exploerer XLT 4x4 V8 on Friday. It has 63k miles on it and is in perfect shape according to the Ford dealer I had look at it. It's mostly fully loaded and came with brand new 20" rims & Toyo tires which I hope to replace with all terrains soon :)

Being new to Explorers I found this forum to be a treasure trove of answers! I already new the Blend Door Actuator was out and thanks to this forum figured out I can replace it relatively cheap.

I do have a question though. There is a small black box attached behind the rearview mirror that I can't figure out the purpose of. There is a satellite radio button on the stereo so I thought it might be the sat receiver but when I push the SAT button on the stereo it says no satellite.

So, what is the purpose of this black box? I would like to install an iPod adapter into the Satellite port but may not if the satellite receiver is already installed. Thanks for any help!
I have the exact thing on my 05 Xplorer and a gentleman said it's part of the compass system.
And for the satalite radio you need a subscription for it to be activated.
Hope this helps.

Back