I'm getting tired of wheel hop/slip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm getting tired of wheel hop/slip

jleehoyle567

Reaction score
City, State
LENOIR, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 MOUNTAINEER
I have an 03 mounty 4.6 AWD that had an abs light on and when i made turns at slow speed it was like trying to turn with lockers. it would jump, bark the tires, and barely move.

Well i replaced abs sensors, light went of, but i still have the same crap when i make slow, tight turns.

Anyone have a solution?

What tells the transfer case to go into "low gear"? are there ANY electronics involved with the AWD transfer case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 03 mounty 4.6 AWD that had an abs light on and when i made turns at slow speed it was like trying to turn with lockers. it would jump, bark the tires, and barely move.

Well i replaced abs sensors, light went of, but i still have the same crap when i make slow, tight turns.

Anyone have a solution?

What tells the transfer case to go into "low gear"? are there ANY electronics involved with the AWD transfer case?

If it is a awd model then there is nothingthere period... Always awd
Now auto 4x4 is totally different w/ auto, high, and low
With the awd there is no low range at all just high basically... You have a awd model?

go to dealer

go to the dealer and have the code for your rear end , cuz if u have a limited slip it is supposed to do that, u can swap in a open differential, but it will hurt performance on and offroad dramatically!

go to the dealer and have the code for your rear end , cuz if u have a limited slip it is supposed to do that, u can swap in a open differential, but it will hurt performance on and offroad dramatically!

A limited slip shouldn't do what he's describing and swapping to an open diff is not needed and WAY to expensive.

I can't remember for sure, but your problem is something that's been discussed before. Where would you say you mostly feel it? If in the front, it's possible the cv joints could be going bad and starting to lock up? I believe more than anything your xfer case is acting up.

I'll search later and if I find something, I'll link it to this thread.

Edit- Try here

http://explorerforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6461250

its the clutches slipping in the rear diff. very common on ford 8.8's to do this.

worked on many fords with this rear end and its normal when it stops its gonna cost ya the clutches are pricey my 02 does it my dads 04 does it and every one i have ever ridden in that was a 4x4 w limited slip rear does it , changing the fluid might help a little but make sure u get the friction modifier from ford or u will ruin it and have to buy a new one or have it rebuilt

it sounds like a limited slipthat needs more of the friction modifier. i'd replace the diff fluids with the friction modifier and it should go away. or if your cheap just add some of the friction modifier and see what happens

The only time I've experienced shake is when I accerlated from a stop while turning. Otherwise, I've never noticed it at slow speeds. Replacing the diff fluid and adding more friction modifier did do the trick, as well as quiet the whine down a little.

I still think you are referring to something else, but I could be wrong.

Viscous clutch is probably going bad in transfercase.

Back