Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

djhlrh said:
Unfortunatlely I have the rattle on the passenger side. I haven't noticed the problem in the driver side yet, but will the dealership fix both sides? I am afraid the driver side won't show up until my warranty runs out. I bought a 2011 Limited Explorer from a used car dealership with about 25k miles and the week after I bought it, the noise started showing up. Of course we hadn't taken it on very long trips when test driving it and I didn't notice it.

Also I have experienced a few MFT black screens already. The first one happened when the bluetooth function tried to sync up to both my wifes iphone and mine. It hooked up to my phone for the telephone and her phone for music. It blacked out and wouldn't play bluetooth music till I downloaded the latest software on a usb port and reprogrammed it. Seems like it is working ok now although it did black screen once since then.

As far as the wind noise goes, it is disturbing to see the problem still exists on the 2012 models. I was hoping it was just the first run of explorers that had the issue and that they could find a fix, but if 2012 vehicles still have it then Ford must not have a good permament fix yet. I have to admit it is putting a bad taste in my mouth for Ford since I traded in my Crew Cab Silverado. I love the fuel economy though.

This might sound stupid, but is it possible to sync two phones via bluetooth?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CDNexp,
Yes it is possible to sync multiple phones via bluetooth, but only one should be active at a time. You can designate one a the favorite, but if the other person gets in the car without you then it will find and sync to their phone. It seems like we have had a few issues when we were both in the car and that is when we had the black screen. Usually I just turn my bluetooth capability off in order to avoid the issue.

I haven't had an a-pillar rattle in about 300 miles...since my last trip to the dealer on Friday. This was the second trip in and two part orders. I'm hopeful the problem is solved.

correct part numbers.

Will someone post the correct part numbers for this fix? I'm not going to let my dealer touch it until I'm sure the parts are the correct ones. The parts department isn't sure which ones are correct. FORD you need to get this fixed. After 2 years i would think you would pay attention to your customers.

I'm not a gear head by any means but wouldn't this effect every single explorer in production? Maybe we're just lucky but we have tried to duplicate this to see if we had an issue to get fix but we cannot get the windshield or a pillar to whistle. I'm not dicounting the fact it's happening because so many people are noticing it but how can it not occur in every single vehicle. They are all manufactured identically except for certain options in one plant. Just curious and will keep crossing our fingers...we have driven over 70 on the highway several times for several miles and nothing. Maybe it has to do with wind direction but am very surprised consdiering the turns of the highway that we made that nothing occured.

CDNexp,
Yes it is possible to sync multiple phones via bluetooth, but only one should be active at a time. You can designate one a the favorite, but if the other person gets in the car without you then it will find and sync to their phone. It seems like we have had a few issues when we were both in the car and that is when we had the black screen. Usually I just turn my bluetooth capability off in order to avoid the issue.

Thanks djhlrh,
sorry, I don't really want to hijack the thread but yes I was wondering if we can have them connecting both at the same time. the reason I am asking is because I've noticed couple of times that when switching phones ( disconnect one and connect the other) I see the new one in the phone screen and still see the old one ion the blue tooth stereo. I didn't test to see if both work so I am not sure if it is just MFT acting crazy.

I have had my 2012 one month and just started having the EXACT issue at SAME location. Not taken in for service yet. Worried they will never be able to fix it permenately!
...FORD you need to get this fixed. After 2 years i would think you would pay attention to your customers.
2012 & cowboyearl,

I want to see the noise on your Explorer taken care of. I can help by sending this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do this, please send a PM with your contact info, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

...Thanks again Cory and to the service guys at Schmidt Ford!
You’re welcome, 2012Millstadt; I’m glad to lend a hand. :D

Cory

Harlenm, I have experienced the cold weather noise also. This past summer I had the A pillar fixed by a Ford dealer. They must have two fixes, one for hot and one for cold.
crownline,

I’m available to help with the noise by sending this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

...The dealer removed the center stack, tightened down the bolt and reassembled the center stack. Ahhh, now it's just me and the Golden Blossom Honey Bee in the cabin once again...
I haven't had an a-pillar rattle in about 300 miles...since my last trip to the dealer on Friday. This was the second trip in and two part orders. I'm hopeful the problem is solved.
ercole & Car 54,

That’s great to hear that your concern was taken care of. :)

Unfortunatlely I have the rattle on the passenger side. I haven't noticed the problem in the driver side yet...
djhlrh,

I sent a reply to your last PM, so check your inbox for the details.

Cory

I'm also hearing the buzzing sound on highways with cross winds especially going across bridges here in the bay area. We don't hear anything during short distance driving. Took it to the dealer twice in Sunnyvale, CA but they could not reproduce it. Will have to take it back for a third time to have a mechanic ride with me.

I'm also hearing the buzzing sound on highways with cross winds especially going across bridges here in the bay area. We don't hear anything during short distance driving. Took it to the dealer twice in Sunnyvale, CA but they could not reproduce it. Will have to take it back for a third time to have a mechanic ride with me.
Saundman,

Shoot me a PM with the details I mentioned in my previous post and I’ll be happy to lend a hand with the noise you’re having.

Cory

Hi Cory,

The dealer is looking into my "buzzing" problem. They said that Ford's imaging web site was down for a few days?!?. and they couldn't order my part(s) idk that's what the service writer said. Today he called and said the site was back up and Ford approved the repair and parts should be in next week. I'm getting by with the black electric tape on the windshield for now. I'll post the results next week.

Today my dealer replaced both parts of the outside passenger side A-pillar, the plastic outer molding and the piece under it with the rubber weather stripping. The rubber on the new piece is thicker/heavier than the original piece. I drove home on the highway at speeds that caused the original parts to make noise and these new parts, so far, are quiet like they should be. Also, the dealer has ordered replacement parts for the driver side A-pillar which also makes noise to a lesser degree.

The service writer tells me I am the first Explorer owner to bring this problem to their attention. Hopefully it will be easier for future Explorer owners with this problem at this Ford dealer. It has taken some time and several trips to the dealer but so far I remain a satisfied Ford customer.

Today my dealer replaced both parts of the outside passenger side A-pillar, the plastic outer molding and the piece under it with the rubber weather stripping. The rubber on the new piece is thicker/heavier than the original piece. I drove home on the highway at speeds that caused the original parts to make noise and these new parts, so far, are quiet like they should be. Also, the dealer has ordered replacement parts for the driver side A-pillar which also makes noise to a lesser degree.

The service writer tells me I am the first Explorer owner to bring this problem to their attention. Hopefully it will be easier for future Explorer owners with this problem at this Ford dealer. It has taken some time and several trips to the dealer but so far I remain a satisfied Ford customer.

Hey guys Im hearing there is a more significant fix for the A Pillar issue coming in a couple weeks.

Cory are you able to confirm at this time?

...I drove home on the highway at speeds that caused the original parts to make noise and these new parts, so far, are quiet like they should be...
That’s great news, Captfx! Thanks for the update. :)

Hey guys Im hearing there is a more significant fix for the A Pillar issue coming in a couple weeks.

Sgt1411,

I’m not a technician so I’m not allowed to guess at any repair procedures.

Cory

i sure do hope so.....i had my truck in for the A pillar fix...and although it doesn't "rattle" anymore....i hear a "wind noise" now.

Still no noise here....I need to get a copy of the paperwork from when my wife picked it up.

Let us know if you are able to confirm your news...

I took in the Explorer today to get the radiator fan replaced and while there told them about my A-piller noise on the driver side and my power liftgate issue...

they thought they had fixed the noise... but test drive showed they didnt... so they told me they will research it more on monday and i will eventually have to bring it in again :(

Same problem with my 2011 Explorer. It has gotten worse with colder weather. Of course it did not make the noise for the dealer. Driving me crazy!!

Same problem with my 2011 Explorer. It has gotten worse with colder weather. Of course it did not make the noise for the dealer. Driving me crazy!!

Best temporary fix I found is to run a piece of black electrical tape the length of the A-pillar molding. I used 1.5 inch wide tape. 3/4 on the glass 3/4 on the plastic. Virtually invisable to anyone who doesn't know it's there.

I know you shouldn't have to do it on a new vehicle but it got me by until I got the dealer to do the right thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New to the forum because I had to chime in with my issue. I took delivery in Feb. 2011. Have 9000 miles. After about 2 months a rattling/ thrumming noise started from lower right windshield pillar. Only at 55 mph and up and loudest when a solid object is next to us on the right (highway sound wall, truck etc.) It has been getting louder and now occurs more frequently. Recently the same noise started on the lower left but at lower speeds (40 mph). The lower part of the A pillars are definitely flimsy and loose. I am calling the dealer the first time this week to bring it in. I am sending Cory from Ford customer service a PM and would like him to help with this issue in advance of my appointment.

Back