• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer Transmission issue

amnbrueckner

Reaction score
City, State
Belleville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Figured id give it a try on here to see if someone would have a fix before I replace the trans

I have an 03 Explorer 4.0 4WD, having transmission issues. I put it into drive and it sits there for a second then kind of clunks in, I have to let off the gas for it to shift to second. When driving and I let off the gas the RPMs go to idle. When I brake harder then a normal stop (not emergency brake but just harder then a normal stop) it feels like the car goes into neutral and stays that way for a few seconds with a harsh clunk when it goes into gear. I changed the fluid and filter as well as the solenoid block in hopes of it fixing it but no issues.

I had the code read and it was something along the lines of fluid flow or something like that. Going to get it read again so I can get it exactly

Anyone have an idea before I replace the whole trans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you buy the replacement solenoid block? I ask because some vendors are selling "Remanufactured" ones that are faulty and they won't fix the problem.

Figured id give it a try on here to see if someone would have a fix before I replace the trans

I have an 03 Explorer 4.0 4WD, having transmission issues. I put it into drive and it sits there for a second then kind of clunks in, I have to let off the gas for it to shift to second. When driving and I let off the gas the RPMs go to idle. When I brake harder then a normal stop (not emergency brake but just harder then a normal stop) it feels like the car goes into neutral and stays that way for a few seconds with a harsh clunk when it goes into gear. I changed the fluid and filter as well as the solenoid block in hopes of it fixing it but no issues.

I had the code read and it was something along the lines of fluid flow or something like that. Going to get it read again so I can get it exactly

Anyone have an idea before I replace the whole trans?

Sounds quite similar to what I have going on with mine (04' 4.0 4WD). But the only things I have are the "clunk" after a hard stop or acceleration, and my delayed shift is when going into reverse as opposed to drive.

But I don't have any issues otherwise so I just "try" and baby her.

Where did you buy the replacement solenoid block? I ask because some vendors are selling "Remanufactured" ones that are faulty and they won't fix the problem.

Purchased from the dealership, heard about the issues with the remanufactured ones so got new

Double check fluid and make sure its not low.

Will double check the fluid level, it has around 135k miles and there was alot of sediment on the magnet when I dropped the pan, just no sizable metal fragments

Just noticed that when i stop on an incline steep driveway and let off the brake it will roll backwards while in drive

Ran by the stealership for their "expert" opinion....

replace the transmission, plus apparently I have to replace the trans cooler for over $200 and the lines for like another $100 plus reprograming the ECU for who knows how much for a sum total of approximately $5000...

Seriously? how much of that is actually needed... the stealership trying to take more money...

Checked the fluid and maybe a cup or so came out....

test drove no big change. Reading up it may be bands out of adjustment and possibly worn servos/servo bores

Ran by the stealership for their "expert" opinion....

replace the transmission, plus apparently I have to replace the trans cooler for over $200 and the lines for like another $100 plus reprograming the ECU for who knows how much for a sum total of approximately $5000...

Seriously? how much of that is actually needed... the stealership trying to take more money...

Either that or it means "we have no idea so we'll just replace everything"

I think given the mileage servo bores are possible. Look into this site and you can do the servo bore fix yourself along with a band adjustment:

http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/

While there could be the problem...

Overdrive servo

DSC_0019.jpg

While there could be the problem...

Overdrive servo

DSC_0019.jpg

Yep, that could definitely be a problem lol.

You should do yourself a favor and replace both servos with the ones I linked in my last post. That will save you from having to do the servo bores later.

Sounds quite similar to what I have going on with mine (04' 4.0 4WD). But the only things I have are the "clunk" after a hard stop or acceleration, and my delayed shift is when going into reverse as opposed to drive.

But I don't have any issues otherwise so I just "try" and baby her.

Very likely a solenoid block issue. I had the same things and they went away when I swapped that part out.

Just don't get it from 800700trans. Buy a new one.

Very likely a solenoid block issue. I had the same things and they went away when I swapped that part out.

Just don't get it from 800700trans. Buy a new one.

Any way to pull the solenoid block and see if that's the problem or is it a "swap with new one and hope that fixes the problem?"

Got the new servo in and adjusted the bands with almost no issues. The issue was a bad time for my cell to ring, forehead still hurts and big bump on my forehead.... lol

first to second and overdrive fixed, still having a slight delay from a dead stop but seems alot better.

While no real change to the issue from a dead stop. Seems like it is in neutral then with a slight rev (few hundred rpms on a quick tap of the throttle) it seems to engage, almost like going from neutral to drive. It is like this for all gears but reverse doesnt happen often.

The servo I installed was the standard one from the dealership, is this a leaking servo bore or something else? running out of ideas on this and may just pay for a rebuild....

Seems to be fixed, fluid was a little low.

So i replaced the servo, solenoid block, adjusted the bands and added fluid. Havent tested it with towing but is starting and shifting normal

I just replaced both the intermediate and overdrive servos with the factory enhanced servos from http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/ and all the problems were fixed!

After I did research on the transmission problems and took a look at how the servos were designed to work I found the site mentioned above. The servos when delivered were factory and well machined the engineering behind this fix is sound. If you are having transmission problems with this era explorer and your symptoms are anything like the ones mentioned here or on the servo fix site you should consider this fix.

First off before you bring your vehicle to the dealership or tranny shop you should check the sensors and bands yourself. Do a resistance check via the ECM pigtail on the passenger side of the firewall and do a band adjustment to check for a broken band. At least you will have a better idea what might be wrong with the vehicle.

I had that exact same problem in my X. After my 2nd a 4th gears were completely shot, I got the transmission replaced with a Jasper tranny. After I got it back, I had the same symptoms you had.

I wish I could remember the exact problem the shop told me, but from what I can remember, it was a problem with something not having an airtight seal. I just took it back, and it turned out to be an installation issue. Doesn't seem to be the same problem you had, but it might be helpful to someone else who stumbles along this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back