Worst feature that needs fixing (except MFT)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worst feature that needs fixing (except MFT)?

charliez

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT 4x4
I don't mean to stir a flame thread, but rather provide a list of customer input so Ford can consider how their products are used (or not used) by the market.

MFT has been beaten to a dead pounded flat horse in pieces. So let's not rathole there.

I'll start with two items:

1. Location of fuse box. It is potentially fatal, when you need to replace a fuse in an emergency and can't reach to replace it (stuck in a snowdrift, heater fan fuse blown, etc.). A lawsuit is waiting to happen here. From a routine use perspective (thanks to MFT), access to the fuse box is frequently required. A very common customer serviceable part is inaccessible causing increased Ford service cost (under warranty, I have made an appointment or two to replace a fuse).

2. The fuel opening is not usable without the special funnel that only comes with the car, and no portable gas tank is compatible with it. This is also potentially fatal and a lawsuit waiting to happen. Not being able to emergency refuel because the funnel is broken or missing may cause life & death situation. Sure lead free gas station nozzles can fit, but as an off-road vehicle it must be able to accept a variety of fuel can hoses.

Your turn!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) I have no issue with the fuse box

2) I haven't tried the portable gas tank fill yet, but I have no issue with the gas tank. I wouldn't consider the explorer to be an off road vehicle nor would I consider a Subaru for that matter.

I wish the driver. Seat could be raised higher and I am 6'3"- there is no present option

The "Rain Noise" issue is the largest for me. It is annoying and embarrassing to have this very nice vehicle and then have it sound like a tin drum when you hit heavy rain. It is the one item that prevents me from recommending that other people purchase the truck.

Ditto on the tin drum

Was coming home from shopping with wife and family members. Started raining hard. Sounded like a kettle drum in the Bahamas. I thought WTF kind of metal did they use on the roof of this thing.

I think if you read through this forum you will find all the lists of all the things that people would like to have addressed with this vehicle....seems a bit redundant to me. Just saying...
BTW, I have never had to access my fuse box, nor am I traveling with Jerry Cans and funnels in my trunk. I'm not planning on crossing the desert to Dakar any time soon.

I haven't accessed a auto fusebox in over 30 years and well over a dozen vehicles owned, so it's not something I need to worry about.

How about a "fuse puller tool" in that fuse box?

It is just two pieces of plastic with a metal clip.

How much to add that to $40,000 vehicle?

Potentially fatal? Give me a break lol. That made me laugh. Vehicles? Potentially fatal. Rain? Potentially fatal. intersections? Potentially fatal.

Ok, but on a serious note, In regards to your #2 item, this is incorrect. You can use a gas can to fill the car without issue. You just need to go slow with the fill. Had an emergency issue in my Escape with the Easy Fill cap and needed to fill with a portable tank, and while it wasn't nearly as easy as on standard vehicle, I had no issues filling a gallon. If you're going to throw around ideas that something can't be done, is a lawsuit waiting to happen, and potentially fatal, at least know what you're talking about. Sorry for sounding like a jerk, but you're making some really bold claims for issues that don't actually exist.

^ Agreed, potentially fatal does not apply to #1 or #2 above lol, even ambulance chasers can't be bothered.

Well then you'll be pleasantly surprised to note that there is one. Its located on a clip on the back cover of the fuse box.

Well then you'll be pleasantly surprised to note that there is one. Its located on a clip on the back cover of the fuse box.

No it is not. I even has the dealer look at the other EXs on the lot to find me one. NONE!!!!

The only item I agree with is that fuse box is located in a very poor location and is very difficult, if not almost impossible, for some people to get at.

No it is not. I even has the dealer look at the other EXs on the lot to find me one. NONE!!!!

Yes, it does come with one. I just went out and looked...and here's a pix of mine.

Attachments

• PC150094.JPG
    PC150094.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 888

Doh.jpg

What's with the lawsuit thing. Hope I don't get sued for posting this. OK, let me see if I got this correct. Because the manufacturer decided to place the fuse box in the engine compartment it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I suppose, just like the customer who used a Sears lawnmower to trim a hedge, became injured and sued stating the operating instructions did not say to not trim hedges.

I do think it is a good question. So for me, it would be a more powerful engine, I'm thinking turbo diesel. Easier method to remove the third row of seats thus creating more storage. Better handling. Overall I think it is a good vehicle, no complaints, just ideas to improve.

i have a base ex and after abuot 3 weeks and 600 miles the thing i would like to change is the 12v access is in the storage are under the radio ,how about 1 on the dash ,when i plud an accessory in the door will not close. things i like pretty much everything soooooo far
brianj

i have a base ex and after abuot 3 weeks and 600 miles the thing i would like to change is the 12v access is in the storage are under the radio ,how about 1 on the dash ,when i plud an accessory in the door will not close. things i like pretty much everything soooooo far
brianj

There's another one inside the console between the front seats at the front of the interior of the console storage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Terrain Management Fault .......... Has occured 1/2 Doz times already. Would seem to me that everyone would have this occur ...... Or am I just the lucky one here!

Back