How many miles with fully synthetic? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles with fully synthetic?

Burnout

Reaction score
City, State
North Quincy, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Hey folks, it's been a while since I've been on this site. I miss looking in awe over all the cool stuff you guys do to your Explorers. I have an '04 V6.

Anyway, after reading this forum a while back I decided to start using fully synthetic engine oil because of all the benefits people speak of. Reading people's opinions, they talked about putting many thousands of miles on the engine without replacing it, someone even mentioned just replacing it once a year.

So I had my oil changed to fully synthetic in May of this past year, and now in December I just hit 9000 miles with it. I can either change it out this winter break (at a little less than 10,000) or wait until spring/summer (assuming maybe another 2,000 added to it... I don't do much driving while I'm at school). Am I pushing it if I wait? Have I already pushed it?

Thanks for any comments you have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on your type of driving.

Short distance driving typically builds up significant moisture in the oil, so frequent oil changes may be more important than mileage. When gasolene burns, the one of the products of combustion is water. The oil needs to get hot before the crankcase ventilation system allows the moisture to escape.

Most people change the motor oil and filter too frequently, but it doesn't hurt. Oil companies sometimes recommend change intervals, so you might want to see what your brand of oil recommends.

I also use synthetic motor oil. With the Mobil 1 motor oil that I use, I change the oil every 12 months or 25,000 miles. I typically only keep a car or truck for 10 years, so I'm not trying to go for 900,000 miles on the engine before a rebuild.

So I had my oil changed to fully synthetic in May of this past year, and now in December I just hit 9000 miles with it. I can either change it out this winter break (at a little less than 10,000) or wait until spring/summer (assuming maybe another 2,000 added to it... I don't do much driving while I'm at school). Am I pushing it if I wait? Have I already pushed it?.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would say you pushed it a little far on the mileage between oil changes. I'm pretty sure with synthetic oil the recommended change interval is 5,000-7,500 miles, and I would recommend using a long life filter since you will be going longer between oil changes. If the oil looks real dark or black in color, change it, it's dirty. The more miles you put on it, the more the viscosity of the oil breaks down over time or use as well. With the miles you drive, 9,000 in 6 1/2 months, I would at least change it twice a year or 3 times a year. I use synthetic oil as well, but I only drive 5,000-6,000 miles per year and even though I could go a whole year of driving on that one oil change, I will probably change it again at the 6 month period. I schedule to do the oil changes in mid-October and mid-April, that way I'm not changing oil in mid winter when it's cold or hot in the summer. When it comes to engine oil, don't screw around.
Now on the other hand, I do know someone who drives 10,000 miles between oil changes and he uses synthetic oil, but he buys his business pickup trucks new, and starts using synthetic oil in them right from the beginning of the vehicles life. As far as I know, he hasn't had any internal engine component problems doing this. It comes down to how far you want to push it.

What brand oil and filter did you use? What does the oil manufacturer say for intervals? You could take a sample of the oil and get it tested to see if it is still ok. Many have done this to see when it is time to change the oil. Search trough Aldive's old threads. He had one on syn oil and drain intervals. For my truck I use Amsoil and and Amsoil filter. I put on less than 10k miles per year and change the oil and filter once per year in the fall. I just have to check it every so often as it uses a little over the course of a year.

oil

If you really want to get in to extended oil change intervals you need to go over to bobistheoilguy.com and check out the forums. They have a section for UOA's and extended oil change's. excellent site.

You really need to have a used oil analysis done on your car with the brand of oil you prefer to know how long you can really go with no ill effects. Blackstone labs is 25?? I think to have one done. They can tell you exactly what your car is doing internally and how many miles you can go.

I run Mobil 1 fully synthetic in my taurus and it says right on the bottle

"gauarnteed protection for 15,000 mi. "Though I try to change filters half way through...
Seems to do fine I've done this over 100k and t is still strong as ever
I'm too ocd about my x to put anything but motorcraft oil and filter... That's just me though
(I change my oil when the message center says change oil)

I have a car that uses full synthetic (Mobil 1 0w20) and the recommened interval is 5k or 2x a year. It's a hybrid so the engine is turning off and on most of the time. I wouldn't do 10k even if the oil manufacturer guarantees it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

After many, many discussions over the years, on various forums, I'd have to agree with Exproblems.

As mentioned, synthetic oils vary in properties and qualities between brands. While certain positive traits remain intact longer in the typical full synthetic, in time they also suspend and circulate destructive combustion byproducts such as acids, heavy metals, carbon, moisture and many other undesirable elements.

Back in the day when synthetics were very pricey, and producers made lofty claims, some subscribed to adding a quart, to replenish the additive package, and changing the filter. I feel this attitude was/is Penny-wise and Pound-foolish. Nowadays, the cost of 5 quarts and a filter is so minimal that it make no sense to skimp on complete change.

I've used synthetic oil in all my cars for the last 20+ years and believe in the inherent value offered. However, over optimistic / extended change intervals is not one of them. Again, the cost is minimal.

On a side note, and IMHO, I firmly believe that the Penzoil synthetic oil that touts it's cleansing ability contributed to the demise of my 4.6 over a year ago. Long story short, I had just switched over to the Penzoil product as it was on sale at the local big box store. Two weeks later my wife calls with a stalled Ex which turned out to be a seized engine. ????? I check the oil every 2 weeks, rarely had to top off and no leaks whatsoever. There wasn't any oil in the engine. Where did it go?

When the tech tore down the engine he calls to tell me he had never seen sludge like in the 4.6.....ever. He said it appeared as if the sludge had solidified into oil soaked, sponge-like obstructions. Is that where the oil went? Coincidence that I just switched over to the Penzoil product? I don't think so....but again, just my personal opinion.

On a side note, and IMHO, I firmly believe that the Penzoil synthetic oil that touts it's cleansing ability contributed to the demise of my 4.6 over a year ago. Long story short, I had just switched over to the Penzoil product as it was on sale at the local big box store. Two weeks later my wife calls with a stalled Ex which turned out to be a seized engine. ????? I check the oil every 2 weeks, rarely had to top off and no leaks whatsoever. There wasn't any oil in the engine. Where did it go?

When the tech tore down the engine he calls to tell me he had never seen sludge like in the 4.6.....ever. He said it appeared as if the sludge had solidified into oil soaked, sponge-like obstructions. Is that where the oil went? Coincidence that I just switched over to the Penzoil product? I don't think so....but again, just my personal opinion.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rick,

Are you saying here that the newly used Pennzoil synthetic oil and it's "cleaning detergents" caused the old engine sludge that formed inside your engine from years of using conventional oil, to turn into these oil soaking, sponge like globs? These sponge like globs that formed after switching to Pennzoil synthetic oil also soaked up all 5 quarts of oil in the engine as well? It only took 2 weeks of driving after the new oil change to cause this to happen? Do you think the "cleaning detergents" in the Pennzoil oil caused the old sludge to break loose from the area's inside the engine it originally formed at, to start moving around the engine, soaking up the new oil? Thats a scary thought, since I switched to full synthetic oil (Mobil 1) recently, 2-3 months ago. I bought the truck 11 months ago and I used conventional oil first, then tried a synthetic blend and now full synthetic. I'm assuming the previous 2 owners used conventional oil. I check my oil level fairly often and it's always full and haven't noticed any issues since switching to full synthetic. I actually feel that the engine starts and runs quieter since the switch to synthetic. I always heard you can switch to a full synthetic oil even after the engine had conventional oil used in it for years and that synthetic oil is "not suppose" to sludge up like conventional oil can. Thats kind of why I switched to it and they also claim it protects better than conventional oil. I guess I'll stay away from the Pennzoil brand.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rick,

Are you saying here that the newly used Pennzoil synthetic oil and it's "cleaning detergents" caused the old engine sludge that formed inside your engine from years of using conventional oil, to turn into these oil soaking, sponge like globs?

I used Mobil 1 synthetic oil in this vehicle since new. Otherwise, yes, I believe that's what may have occurred.

These sponge like globs that formed after switching to Pennzoil synthetic oil also soaked up all 5 quarts of oil in the engine as well? It only took 2 weeks of driving after the new oil change to cause this to happen?

That's what appears to have happened. Perhaps 5 quarts wasn't soaked up but enough to cause the demise of the engine.

Do you think the "cleaning detergents" in the Pennzoil oil caused the old sludge to break loose from the area's inside the engine it originally formed at, to start moving around the engine, soaking up the new oil?

Yes, that's my suspicion. Although, I'm not sure how much moving around may have taken place or was necessary for negative effects. FWIU, Explorers' harbor quite a bit of sludge due to design and normal operation. IMO this product may be too much of a good thing.

Thats a scary thought, since I switched to full synthetic oil (Mobil 1) recently, 2-3 months ago.

I never had an issue with Mobil 1 and have switched many cars over from dino to synthetic with no issues.

I used Mobil 1 synthetic oil in this vehicle since new. Otherwise, yes, I believe that's what may have occurred.. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I read some where in here some time ago that "full synthetic oil doesn't sludge up" like conventional oil does, is that true to your knowledge as well? I see you mention here you used nothing but synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in your Ex since new, prior to the one time you used Pennzoil synthetic, so where did the sludge in your 4.6L engine come from? Just want to know if what I read was true about synthetic oil and sludge.

As I mentioned, I do not subscribe to the extending oil change intervals by too long a period. Where did the sludge come from? It had to be from the synthetic oil.

Quote from www.NordicGroup.US:

How Sludge Forms
"As explained above, modern detergent oils suspend contaminants so they do not settle on engine parts and form sludge. When the oil becomes saturated with contaminant particles new particles settle out of the oil onto the internal engine parts and form sludge. This is why it is so critical to perform oil changes before this level of contamination is reached. The only way to know if you're oil needs changing is to have an oil analysis done. Absent this, play it safe and follow the severe service interval specified in the owners manual. Remember that the contaminants come from the combustion process of the gasoline and and the air. Synthetic oil will not prevent these contaminants. Synthetics may be marginally better at suspending more contaminant particles, but not enough to prolong oil changes by much.

Never attempt to clean the inside of your engine with one of those engine flush procedures that many shops try to sell. If you've been diligent about oil changes there will be no sludge. If there is a lot of sludge then the last thing you want to do is to dislodge it all at once.

A good article about sludge can be found at: http://www.yotarepair.com/sludge article.html "

Never attempt to clean the inside of your engine with one of those engine flush procedures that many shops try to sell. If you've been diligent about oil changes there will be no sludge. If there is a lot of sludge then the last thing you want to do is to dislodge it all at once.

[/I]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I did that a long time ago, (Engine flush in a can) when I was young and dumb on an old, Ford LTD my sister gave to me, big mistake. After doing the engine flush I bought from a parts store, drained everything and installed a new filter and oil, the engine had a loud knock that wasn't there prior to the engine flush. From what I was told, the engine flush dislodged all the sludge and tarnish that built up over the years that was basically holding the engine together. It loosened up parts you don't want loosened up. I learned my lesson. Thanks for all the other info on the formation of sludge. I guess what I read about synthetic oil not forming sludge was wrong.

Back