99 Expedition XLT 4x4 build thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Expedition XLT 4x4 build thread

The Nitto advertises these 305/70/16 tires at 32.8"s tall, but after I mounted them, they measured at 33.2"s tall. The measured height from ground to fender lip is now at 41.5"s, that is a additional 2" of lift just from the tires alone. I am at a total of 4.5"s of lift. Not bad for all invested so far.

Here is a list of what I have in it so far.

1) 99 Expedition- $3,500.00

2) 4 Nitto Terra Grapplers (305/70/16)- $950.00

3) 4 Pro Comp Series 98 Xtreme Black Rims (16x10)- $400.00

4) Center caps and lugs- $115.00

5) 4 Rancho RS5000 shocks- $225.00

6) Hooker Aero Chamber Muffler- $65.00

7) 2 Magnaflow exhaust tips- $65.00

8) Exhaust installed- $275.00

9) Heater core- $60.00

10) K/N FIPK- $289.00

11) Camo Seat covers, mats and steering wheel cover- $90.00

12) Euro Smoked tail lights- $100.00

13) Frontend alignment-$65.00

14) Tires mounted on rims- $45.00

15) 4 1" Billet T6016 Spacers- $150.00

16) 3/2" lift kit- $190.00

Grand Total- $6,584.00

Not bad for 2 weeks work. I really think it turned out good so far. I am still waiting on the tail lights to arrive. And I plan on getting a DeeZee full 3 pc black brush guard, and a Lund Moon Visor, and get rid of the 3.55's in front and rear and put in 4.56's, I can not beleive these came with 3.55's.

I tell you, after the numerous Broncos and other 4x4's I have had over the years, this Expedition is hugh right out of the box, now it feeld even bigger and it does not fit in my garage any longer as it is now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is some daylight pics of the wheels installed.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

more....
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

couple more....
9.jpg

10.jpg

Well I got my stereo and satalite, and navigation mounted and running.
65.jpg

Well I kept looking at the front end and thought there was no definition or contrast for the grille. So I decided to paint the center section black to break it up and give it some separation. I also realigned the bumper to bring it up closer by another 1/2" to the grille. Looks better than the large gap that was there.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Well after waiting for a couple weeks for my K/N FIPK to come in, I get a call today to let me know that the kit is on back order. So I was kinda pissed to say the least. So I said hell with it and got a lesser expensive kit that they had on hand and for my troubles, summitracing gave me $60.00 summit bucks to apply to it and the end cost out of pocket was $29.00, not too bad.

Here is what I got for $29.00
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRM-10-301/

Well I did get the new smoked tail lights in and installed. I think they look great and am getting 1 step closer to all blacked out. And the painted black center section of the grille.

Here are some pics,
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Well I got the upgraded CAI kit in from Summit Racing. I really made out on this kit. It is well put together, and if I say so, a better designed kit than K/N. After installation, I took it for a ride and it really woke this 4.6 up from the dead. Pick-up at acceleration is a great improvement and throughout the acceleration much better response. The price for this kit is $179.00, but all I paid was $29.00 from the original screw-up with the kit they sent me the other day. It also has the 12" washable filter.

Here is some pics of it,
1.jpg

SD531696.jpg

SD531698.jpg

SD531699.jpg

couple more
5.jpg

6.jpg

Well I took the Expy out today shopping. I got to say, the 4.6 really woke up with this Spectre intake system. I still think the Expy is under powered with the 4.6 in it. But it is much more responsive with the kit installed.

All week all I have been thinking about is doing a D60 SAS with a Sterling rear. And doing a engine and xfer and xmission swap. I would love to do this swap and make this Expy a real machine instead of the grocery getter it was designed for with mother and kids in mind from Ford.

Time will tell how far I will go with this project.

All week all I have been thinking about is doing a D60 SAS with a Sterling rear. And doing a engine and xfer and xmission swap. I would love to do this swap and make this Expy a real machine instead of the grocery getter it was designed for with mother and kids in mind from Ford.

Now that would be cool:chug:

Now that would be cool:chug:

Yes it will, and a hefty penny too. But can be done. Just a little ambition, and alittle more saving and a welder.:thumbsup:

Good job making it more truck and less "soccer mom". I love the Expedition, I have had 2 so far. Yours looks sweet! I never cared for that color, but with a little black accent and a lift, I would love to have that thing! I buy and sell cars also, and I keep waiting for another Expy deal to come around. That is how I ended up with my Mounty, but after having it for 6 months or so, I decided I couldn't sell it. If I do that with an Expedition, I am going to have way too many cars not for sale!

Thanks bud, more to come in way of making it more appealing. I may also be doing a camo paint job on it soon.

Well I was driving home today from work and I was hearing a squeeking noise coming fromt he front driver side and thought it to be odd. When I got home I further searched the underneath and what did I see, grease, grease everywhere. The inner CV boot was torn and spewing and flicking grease everywhere.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So I went to the auto store and purchased a make and model specific inner CV boot kit for $25.00. Looks as if it is parked until this weekend when I am able to get to it and pull the shaft out and take it apart to install the new boot and re-grease it.
4.jpg

That sucks, but if you are already going to have the shaft out why not do both boots?

That sucks, but if you are already going to have the shaft out why not do both boots?

The price of both boots is more than the whole assy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back