Bring on the tears!!! =( what's wrong with my truck?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bring on the tears!!! =( what's wrong with my truck?!

missdawn1012

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I have an intermittant no-start issue w my 98 ford explorer....130,000 miles. Basically happens about once a week.

I replaced Idle Air Control Module, well my neighbor did...

A ford dealer racked me up to 900 dols of work. Heres what they did in the order it was done.
Spark Plug #4 changed
Oil change (fuel was mixed w/ the oil)
PCM updated
DPFE sensor changed
All Plugs and wires changed

Then i went to a diff shop because it was still not starting... they changed the ignition coil. they also said all the crap ford fixed would not have caused a no-start issue (well besides the plugs obviously). They also said my fuel pressure is great, and it was spark related he thought.

Here I am 10 days later exactly and she finally did it again. Looks like I won't be going to work in the morning.

Wth is wrong with it? It throws off a code for a P0402 EGR system fault and that's it... Ughhhh. I just want it to go back to being dependable =(

if it helps..my engine is flooding itself somehow. plugs have oil and/or coolant on them. Ford said the head gaskets were not blown when I asked.

Is a DPFE sensor the same thing as an O2 censor? I was looking around on the forums and saw that the culprit for someone's intermittent no start issue was the o2 sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an intermittant no-start issue w my 98 ford explorer....130,000 miles. Basically happens about once a week.

I replaced Idle Air Control Module, well my neighbor did...

A ford dealer racked me up to 900 dols of work. Heres what they did in the order it was done.
Spark Plug #4 changed
Oil change (fuel was mixed w/ the oil)
PCM updated
DPFE sensor changed
All Plugs and wires changed

Then i went to a diff shop because it was still not starting... they changed the ignition coil. they also said all the crap ford fixed would not have caused a no-start issue (well besides the plugs obviously). They also said my fuel pressure is great, and it was spark related he thought.

Here I am 10 days later exactly and she finally did it again. Looks like I won't be going to work in the morning.

Wth is wrong with it? It throws off a code for a P0402 EGR system fault and that's it... Ughhhh. I just want it to go back to being dependable =(

if it helps..my engine is flooding itself somehow. plugs have oil and/or coolant on them. Ford said the head gaskets were not blown when I asked.

Is a DPFE sensor the same thing as an O2 censor? I was looking around on the forums and saw that the culprit for someone's intermittent no start issue was the o2 sensor.

P0402 you might need to replace the EGR valve. No the DPFE is a sensor used to monitor gases from the EGR line.

Flooding or oil and coolant in the spark plugs would cause a no start. Check head gaskets and also lower intake manifold gaskets.

sounds like you have a bad gasket somewhere. sounds like head gasket or intake gasket if your getting coolant in the cylinders. same with oil or fuel. EGR valve might be bad too, but id start with the gasket issues first. the head gasket or intake gasket could be blown, or have a small hole in it and you wouldnt be able to tell from the outside, b/c its obviously leaking internally.

P0402 you might need to replace the EGR valve. No the DPFE is a sensor used to monitor gases from the EGR line.

Flooding or oil and coolant in the spark plugs would cause a no start. Check head gaskets and also lower intake manifold gaskets.

would a faulty EGR cause a no start issue?

No it would cause the engine to run rough. If you have coolant/oil in the spark plugs you have a leak in of your gaskets.

Back