• Register Today It's free!

1354 manual shifter in a 99 Ex

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I have searched but not found the answer I need. I have installed a 1354 manual in the 99 Explorer I am working on. I have not attempted to make the linkage work yet. It is an Eddie Bauer and I want to keep the center console. Will I need to modify the shifter to clear? I could not find any pics of this specific conversion. Please post pics if you have them.

Thank in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious what the outcome is on this one...getting ready to do the same thing.

We make the shifter come thru the floor board to the left of the full size console.

If you have a body lift, just add the same length (same size rod) as the lift to the shifter.

Heat up the shifter handle, and bend it under the floor board. Mount the shifter floor bracket to the side of the trans tunnel under the carpet.

The hole for the shifter will be in the tunnel and not in the removeable portion?

The hole for the shifter will be in the tunnel and not in the removeable portion?

The stock floor board hole is not wide enough to allow the shifter to clear the console. Once you get the shifter up under the rig, you can see where you need to cut on the tunnel. It's really not a big deal.

Just cut a little at a time with a pair of sharp snips until your happy with the cut out.

sorry double post, phone is slow

Thanks for the help

Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what it will look like.

Post #30 shows the cut and welded shifter to move it over. Don't know if I will do it that way I would rather bend it.

I had started out by heating and bending the shifter but to get it to clear the floor and console and still shift smoothly through the gate I decided to just cut and weld it. You might be able to come up with something cleaner, theres definitely room for improvement and I'm still not 100% happy with the outcome.

Back