• Register Today It's free!

Need help on a battery purchase

Skullmurphy

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all, This is my first post so please be gentle. I have a 2003 explorer V6 stock and it needs a new battery, I was wondering if you all have any suggestions on a good battery. I live near Chicago and the winters can get pretty cold here. Any help would be appreciated....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in all honesty i always try and get the best warranty to price ratio ... thats my main concern ... are you looking for stock or something more?

Thanks Armysoldier for getting back so quick, I am looking for a little more than stock, I have been looking at the Die Hard Gold so far.

Optima!!!! I had one in my Mustang and loved it. You can run your radio ALL day before you have to start your car to recharge it. I live in Michigan so I know about the cold.

sears diehard is the ultimate pro-rated warranty scam... its not a question of If it will die under warranty... its a matter of how much $$ you will pay out to get another one.

Stock replacements: Orielly auto parts Super Start, Autozone Duralast, or Walmart's brand.. all equals all fine. I went to Walmart becuase they had a sale on batteries.

Be sure to look at your cables and terminals. Do not use the cheapie/quickie replacement terminals. If a cable is questionalble, replace the entire cable including a quality terminal on both ends. Coorosion and failing clamping bolts cause lots of strife.

Don't forget in this modern day world its "E-L-E-C-T-R-O-N-I-C fuel injection" as well as the rest of your engine... EVERYTHING depends on the battery and alternator to be in tip-top shape. Cables included.

Rob

Thank you all, So far I have deleted the Die Hard from my list and I have been reading about the optima batteries, I will need to check out the optima battery better. I am glad i came on this site..

find the battery with the highest CCA rating with the best reviews...

be careful with optima's... I ahve 5 in my household "collection" and they are great... BUT.... if the car/truck/suv sits for more than 2-3 days without being driven... the Optima is NOT the battery for you.

Optima's and other AGM batteries simply don't like to be deep-discharged over time. If the vehicle will sit, undriven for more than 1-2 days, than you want a AGM spec trickle chrager and plug it in EVERY night.

Rob

I agree with Blee1099 everything I own has the largest CCA battery I can get to go under the hood safely. I just like to know that it is there when I need it. Plus it makes me feel better knowing I have the extra reserve since everything also has at least a 400 watt power inverter in it, the Ex has a 2000 watt in it.

be careful with optima's... I ahve 5 in my household "collection" and they are great... BUT.... if the car/truck/suv sits for more than 2-3 days without being driven... the Optima is NOT the battery for you.

Optima's and other AGM batteries simply don't like to be deep-discharged over time. If the vehicle will sit, undriven for more than 1-2 days, than you want a AGM spec trickle chrager and plug it in EVERY night.

Rob

I know it seems like it, but I am not singling you out in every post, lol. I had my Mustang in a unheated garage the WHOLE winter, starting it once a month and never encountered a starting problem. I do not know alot about batteries, just giving my experience.

Hey skullmurphy what part of chicago do you live in?

I know it seems like it, but I am not singling you out in every post, lol. I had my Mustang in a unheated garage the WHOLE winter, starting it once a month and never encountered a starting problem. I do not know alot about batteries, just giving my experience.

No worries Max... Just sharing my experiences too... its all good... I have 3 dead optima cores...

the starting once a month is the key... Optima's and others seem to not like the deep discharge... at least once a month is a given... without a trickle/support charge, that is with any battery.

I was just trying to point to what has been discussed on many other forums and optima has even acknowledged, deep discharge is no-bueno... then you ahve to go into crazy recovery charging dances to save them...

All good... no worries... no hard feelings...

Rob

interstate, nationwide warranty and they are the best, good luck getting that kind of warranty and they have thousands of dealers

Thank you everyone for your input, I know one thing for certian that Die Hard is out of the question, After looking at consumer reports I am narrowing it down to a Duralast (autozone), Possibly Interstate.. Also Kirkland (Costco)

i have an optima in my 02 ex but all my other cars have interstate batteries...for me thats def the best one....goodluck with it :thumbsup:

IDK... I've got a Sears DieHard battery in my ex and I've NEVER paid a dime to warranty it out... And the only time it's ever died it was purely my fault. I don't live in the cold, BUT it sits under a black hood next to a V8 through Florida summers and runs just fine...

Back