• Register Today It's free!

problem with rear glass trim

obonaventure

Reaction score
City, State
West Deptford, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
We have a 2002 Explorer. The other day my wife walked out and noticed that the trim along the bottom of her glass on the lift gate was cracked. Its the plastic part that run along the bottom on the glass, where you would put your fingers to lift the glass up. If you go here look at #2 (applique). The crack is to the left of the center and is vertical from the top to the bottom and is about 1/8" wide. Coincidentially we recently (a few months ago) took it in for the recall for the hinges coming loose. I also noticed that the clearance on either side of this "applique" is not the the same on either side. I'm wondering if the glass was not properly centered when it was re-expoxied if it could casue this to happen.

Has anyone seen this or experienced something like this? What do you all think? At first we thought someone tried to break in to it but I don't think that is the case now.

Tomorrow I could take a pic of the actual damage and show it all to you (I'm not sure how to attach a pic yet) if you think it could help.

Thanks All!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there is a TSB on that area, if I remember it was cracking/paint peeling. Don't believe it was a recall though, although it probably should be. There are some older threads that talk about that area I believe if you feel so inclined to search.

It is very common. I have seen it on many 02 explorers just walking through parking lots. We paid $50 dollars to get it fixed at the dealer. Including the part, paint and instalation. They did it under some kind of warrany though.

Indeed, a TSB has been issued: # 05-24-2... but you didn't hear this from me. ;) ;)

FORD: 2002-2005 EXPLORER
LINCOLN: 2003-2005 AVIATOR
MERCURY: 2002-2005 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 04-8-5 to update the vehicle model year coverage.

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles may exhibit a damaged/cracked plastic applique without liftgate glass damage.

ACTION:
Replace the applique as necessary. It is no longer necessary to replace the entire liftgate glass assembly to correct this condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: READ THIS ENTIRE BULLETIN BEFORE BEGINNING THE REPAIR.

PAINTING THE NEW APPLIQUE

Lightly scuff the applique panel with a Scotchbrite pad on both sides.
Use compressed air and blow off the residue.
Spray and wipe the applique with plastic parts cleaner.
Mix and apply Ford approved basecoat material to the front side only of the applique. Allow appropriate flash time between coats.
NOTE: DO NOT GET ANY PAINT/OVER SPRAY ON BACKSIDE OF APPLIQUE.

Mix and apply Ford approved clear coat to the applique. Use manufacturers recommended flash time and final bake time at 60° C (140° F) panel temperature.
REMOVING THE OLD APPLIQUE

Note the locations of the existing emblems. Open liftglass and install a double layer of body tape in the opening area around the liftglass opening. This will protect the liftgate area from possible scratches when removing the applique (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 05-24-2

Use a T-Handle windshield knife with a one (1) inch blade. DO NOT USE MECHANICAL WINDSHIELD KNIVES. Insert blade in the top left corner between the colored applique and black glass rubber. Pull knife downward (top to bottom). This will cut most of the left side urethane bead. Use a soft tip or dead blow hammer to hammer the sharpened spatula/putty knife to cut the remaining urethane holding the applique. Repeat on right side.
NOTE: DO NOT TRY TO CUT TOP EDGE.

Insert the knife into one of the bottom corners between the colored applique and black rim. Pull the knife across the entire bottom edge. Use a spatula/putty knife to remove residual urethane. Do not try to cut the top edge. Completing Steps 2 and 3 have cut the majority of the urethane between the applique and black rim.
Insert a spatula at the bottom corner of the applique and gently begin to pry up to allow you to firmly grip one end of the applique.
Pull and peel the applique from one side to the other.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Scrape or pull all of the old urethane so that it is slightly below the surface of the black rubber mask (razor blade, gasket scraper). Scuff remaining old urethane adhesive with 80-Grit sand paper around the perimeter.
Clean window and back side of new applique with wax and grease remover.
Allow to flash for two (2) minutes.
NOTE: DO NOT USE WINDSHIELD URETHANE.

Install one (1) of the two (2) Motorcraft TA-9 Plastic Bonding Adhesive cartridges in the application gun Rotunda #501-040. Squeeze the out some material to level the plungers and install the nozzle.
NOTE: BEAD SIZE IS DEPENDENT UPON AMOUNT OF OLD URETHANE THAT IS REMOVED. TOP OF BEAD SHOULD EXTEND APPROXIMATELY 6.5 MM (0.25 INCH) BEYOND EDGE OF TROUGH. THIS REPAIR WILL REQUIRE ONE TO TWO (1-2) TUBES OF ADHESIVE. THE WORKABLE TIME OF THE ADHESIVE IS APPROXIMATELY TEN (10) MINUTES.

Apply 6.5 mm (0.25 inch) bead of Motorcraft TA-9 adhesive to inner side of the trough the old urethane was injected in. This will keep squeeze out to a minimum when the applique is installed.
Apply new painted applique and firmly press by hand over the entire adhesive area. Clean off squeeze out adhesive immediately with wax and grease remover.
Verify applique to top rubber mask alignment quickly as you have eight to ten (8-10) minutes working time (Figure 2). Open lift glass. Using extremely light pressure apply two (2) small clamps on the top corner ends to hold it in place.

Figure 2 - Article 05-24-2

NOTE: EXCESSIVE CLAMP PRESSURE CAN CAUSE DEPRESSION IN THE APPLIQUE. BE SURE THAT THE APPLIQUE IS CENTERED, WITH AN EVEN GAP ON EACH SIDE.

Apply tape, 2" wide X 6" in length every 4 inches vertically, starting on the bottom and then the top edge.
Remove clamps on edge and replace with masking tape immediately after Step 8.
Apply the 2" wide tape the full length horizontally of top and bottom, wrapping around backside.
Allow a minimum of forty five (45) minutes at 21° C (70° F) dry time and remove tape.
Install new emblems.

gijoecam said:
Indeed, a TSB has been issued: # 05-24-2... but you didn't hear this from me. ;) ;)

Is this a "free" fix? Mine broke last night and is a '02 with about 54,000 miles on it, so it's out of warranty.
:mad:

Same thing happened to our '03. The dealer did the hinge recall and shattered our rear window while they did it. Had to replace the the applique twice. Ruined the original when recall was done and the replacement one was defective. The current one wasn't bonded correctly, so I had to go back and have it redone. So far it hasn't come loose again. Not the best design. If you look at the '06 Explorer, Ford went back to the separate glass design.

Talk to your dealer, they are VERY aware of this problem, I talked to mine and he said to bring it in, he will collect some information and get approval from Ford - Ford is charging people out of warranty 20% of the cost (about $100)

Mine has just under 50K and the dealer I spoke with said he hasn't been turned down yet with this deal and he just fixed one with 87K.

Rear Applique

I have a 2002 Explorer that has had the applique replaced in 2004 and now it's cracked from top to bottom again. I went to my local dealer and was told that there was a TSB on that problem, however there was no recall so they could not repair it and charge it back to Ford. I called Ford and they said due to the fact it was out of warranty there was nothing they could do for me. I feel that since there is a TSB on the problem, there must be a multitude of owners complaining to Ford. I will continue to pursue Ford until I get the proper customer satisfaction I deserve. Any suggestions?

I will continue to pursue Ford until I get the proper customer satisfaction I deserve. Any suggestions?

Suggestion: Unles syou have unlimited legal resources at your disposal, complaining will get you nowhere. You'd be better off paying for the repairs... it'll be way cheaper than a lawyer. All together, paint and installation is 2.5 hours of labor, parts are around $100 last I saw. $350 will barely get you a consultation.

2002-2005 Explorer and 2003-2005 Aviator: Replace Liftgate Glass Applique 1.3 Hrs.
2002-2005 Mountaineer: Replace Liftgate Glass Applique1.4 Hrs.
2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2003-2005 Aviator: Additional Time To Paint Applique. To Be Used With Operation A (Includes Time For P101 Basic Paint) 1.2 Hrs.[/FONT]

An independent body shop can likely do the work for 2/3 the price.

It's a cosmetic defect that doesn't affect all of the vehicles, and poses no threat of injury or death. There will never be a recall.

What do you expect them to do?

I expect them to repair the problem at their cost. They created the defect, not me. What happened to excepting responsibility for the defect, and whatever it takes to keep the customer happy? Isn't REPEAT BUSINESS, what they want?

Hahaha that's so funny, so let's say your seat is torn, will you pursue Ford to change it for you for free? Dude things break from use, that part in particular gets slammed everytime you close the hatch, and after 4 years...
I'm sorry I don't see you have a case, and people will continue to buy from ford even if a plastic piece breaks off....

I expect them to repair the problem at their cost. They created the defect, not me. What happened to excepting responsibility for the defect, and whatever it takes to keep the customer happy? Isn't REPEAT BUSINESS, what they want?

I understand the sentiment completely. Let us know how that works out for you...

Just came accross this - YOU MY FRIEND ARE A MIS-INFORMED JACKASS!
This has now reached "class action status".
Live your own life conforming to what the government or large corporations dictate to you - quit responding like you are some knowledgeable person.
This is a very common (70%) problem.
Now u know idiot!

Hahaha that's so funny, so let's say your seat is torn, will you pursue Ford to change it for you for free? Dude things break from use, that part in particular gets slammed everytime you close the hatch, and after 4 years...
I'm sorry I don't see you have a case, and people will continue to buy from ford even if a plastic piece breaks off....

Just came accross this - YOU MY FRIEND ARE A MIS-INFORMED JACKASS!
This has now reached "class action status".
Live your own life conforming to what the government or large corporations dictate to you - quit responding like you are some knowledgeable person.
This is a very common (70%) problem.
Now u know idiot!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FYI,
That is a 3+ year old post your are commenting on, see post date. It happens to us all from time to time. If you do have some info on the "class action lawsuit" or a Ford recall for this tailgate panel crack problem, post it up. A lot of us would like to hear about it. Mine cracked a few months ago.

lol:p:

think someone should follow there own advice :scratch:

think someone should follow there own advice :scratch:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If this comment was meant for me, you need to see the date of "AirBlue's" post, which is today, 12-27-2011. That is the only post I commented on.

Sorry for the rant gentlemen, just a BS post by the member in question.

Yep, I was searching as I understand is protocol and came accross this thread which had some good info in it and again the "member I was referring to kept popn off about why we should just suck it up and deal with it. After 2 of these myself and seeing hundreds on the road, I/we know this is difficult to permenently fix problem that looks like crap!

I do have the info on the Class Action and will post it up shortly.

Peace :D

Back