Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

video

I had the same issue with my dealer, so i took a video of it on the highway. You an clearly hear the noise/flapping. When I bring it in, I will show it to them. I will share a link when I post it on youtube.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 explore wind noise issues

I had a 2011 Explore 3,000 miles with many issues. fan pullies squeak, hitch issue,wind noise. Dealer never could fix those. Luckly they drooped it off the lift and bought us a 2012. Until: we got wind noise from the pillar and on the phone it sounds like a wind tunnel.

I normaly dont post things but the dealer has no clue and Ford all but hung up on me. What a cycle with no one willing to help. I am not that happy with Ford. Thought they where headed in th eright direction. Nope.

TSB in Process

The TSB is in process. They take time unfortunately. In the meantime contact Corey.

gerry

The TSB is on hold until enough parts are available to fill the demand. Probably mid January.

Gerry

Hi guys,

I’m available to lend a hand by forwarding these details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and mileage.

The TSB is in process. They take time unfortunately. In the meantime contact Corey.

gerry
Thanks for the shout-out, Gerry! :)

Cory

757driver,

I sent you a reply to your last message. Please check your inbox for my PM.

Cory

Cory,

I have the same issue with mine, my dealer says that the only solution for the problem is, they have to seal the windshield. I already told them about this discussion in the forum, and explain them about the a pillars and gaskets., but I think I'm the first one in here with this problem, ant they are not familiar with this, any help or suggestions, Please...

Omar

...I have the same issue with mine, my dealer says that the only solution for the problem is, they have to seal the windshield. I already told them about this discussion in the forum, and explain them about the a pillars and gaskets...
Omar
Omar,

I’m happy to help by sending this info to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact info, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Cory

Explorer windshield noise

I posted some time ago regarding this issue. My dealer drove the Explorer at about 35 MPH and in the rain and said they could nbot duplicate the problem. Wel... duh... really. They acted like they had never heard of this issue. I used my phone to record the ridiculous noise, but my dealer would not just fix the problem without hearing it themselves. I was VERY frustrated. My 2011 already had 35K miles. I use it all the time, I can't keep taking it back to the dealership for an obvious and well-known problem.
Anyway, I am making a short story long here, but to all of you, here is some advice. I bypassed my dealer and went straight to Ford Customer Service. They were VERY helpful and caring. Got back to me immediately after researching the matter. They were aware of the issue. they contacted the dealer to tell them to make my repairs. It has been almost 2 weeks and the dealer still does not have the parts, but they have kept in contact with me to let me know the parts are hard to come by and as soon as they get to the dealer, they will get my mouldings replaced. I assume and hope this does indeed fix the issue.
Other than this matter, my Explorer has been great. Dont stay frustrated, contact Ford Customer Service direct yourself.
Paul

well, i went out of town this weekend and my driver's side A pillar start to have a rattle. it wasn't as consistant as the passenger side, but it was definitely there. now my issue is going to be to get the dealership to replicate the noise when i take it in...

Replication?

I've got three videos from my Droid Smart Phone that record over five minutes of this BS on I-90 driving across New York.

Any Ford dealer/service manager or technician who cannot replicate this noise needs to have his/her job skills re-evaluated.

Absolute bullshit if they cannot hear what any Explorer owner who drives over 60 MPH, in any moderate wind, has to listen to mile after mile after mile after ...

Going to the dealer tommorow for both a pillars, hope it works!

I've got three videos from my Droid Smart Phone that record over five minutes of this BS on I-90 driving across New York.

Any Ford dealer/service manager or technician who cannot replicate this noise needs to have his/her job skills re-evaluated.

Absolute bullshit if they cannot hear what any Explorer owner who drives over 60 MPH, in any moderate wind, has to listen to mile after mile after mile after ...

any chance of downloading the video or a sound clip to hear what you are talking about...dealers=selective hearing.
Thanks

Ford customer service contacted me and contacted my dealer before I even brought my Explorer in. It went in this morning and I also video taped the noise this past weekend and played it for my service guy today. He said he had seen the problem twice before but my rattling sound was much louder than the others. I don't know if they were able to duplicate it or not but regardless they say there is a broken clip behind the right hand molding on the A pillar. They will replace the molding and clips hopefully tomorrow as they are tracking down the parts. I am hopeful this will solve the problem. There is a whole new thread on this noise so I will post there as well.

I originally posted the exact same problem on the "windshield noise" thread on this forum. Very loud rattling sound... right hand A pillar only, highway speed, worse in cold weather and worse when there is a solid object on your right (sound wall, truck etc.). I contacted Ford customer service through this forum.

Ford customer service contacted me and contacted my dealer before I even brought my Explorer in. It went in this morning and I also video taped the noise this past weekend and played it for my service guy today. He said he had seen the problem twice before but my rattling sound was much louder than the others. I don't know if they were able to duplicate it or not but regardless they say there is a broken clip behind the right hand molding on the A pillar. They will replace the molding and clips hopefully tomorrow as they are tracking down the parts. I am hopeful this will solve the problem.

Guys if you are fed up with the noise and don't want to deal with it and the dealer use some RTV high temp gasket seal. It worked on mine. Its not worth the battle, fix it and move on.
I am working my way through this issue as well and would like to use your suggested fix. Can you provide more detailed instructions and a picture or two of the areas that require application of the gasket sealer?

Much appreciated,

any chance of downloading the video or a sound clip to hear what you are talking about...dealers=selective hearing.
Thanks
video of the flapping noise from A-pillar here. http://www.dropshots.com/chimoman#date/2011-04-17/18:57:14

Also here: http://youtu.be/hdiVa_5TO0w

Note: Even though I showed this video to my dealer, he still insisted on trying to duplicate the issue.

TSB # 21760
2011 EXPLORER NOISE FROM THE A-PILLAR MOLDINGS
MESSAGE TEXT DISPLAYED UNDER A PRIOR CODE
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/01/2011

Note: My dealer said this only applied to early build models (4th quarter 2010, 1st QTR 2011) so you may get flack on that.

He was more impressed with the following shop trouble shooting procedure provided by another forum member:

Use an air compressor at 120-140 psi and a nozzle. Point it at the inside edge of the rubber pillar gasket at about a 45 degree angle and horizontal to the ground. (About 2 inches from the gasket.) Run it up and down the gasket. Where the gasket is looser, it will start vibrating. My drivers side does it toward the top and at the bottom, the passenger side only does it in the middle. Seeing the mechanics of it, and isolating the weak spots, I do think some well placed double sided tape, or even electrical tape, would serve as a temporary fix if you are waiting on parts and heading out on a windy road trip. Hope this helps those with this problem and have a dealer who won't fix it because they can't recreate the noise.

PART #s:

SPO BB5Z 7803137 AA, SPO BB5Z 7803137 BA, SPO BB5Z 7803136 AA, and SPO BB5Z 7803136 BA

Hope this helps, good luck

I brought this print-out with me and left it with the service manager.

Thanks

I'll try. Never have exported any videos from my phone to computer, but will seek assistance.

I took my video into the dealer today. They're aware and acknowledged the dumbness of having any applique on the A pillar.

Just wait until someone hacks up a few of these things with their ice scrapers.

You may have a broken clip, but there is a TSB coming with the new parts and repair procedures for the tech. Just waiting on enough parts to satisfy the demand.

gerry

Hi guys,

In case you missed my previous post, I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

...Ford customer service contacted me and contacted my dealer before I even brought my Explorer in...
Thanks for the update, JH2011. Keep us in the loop with how it goes.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Anyway, I am making a short story long here, but to all of you, here is some advice. I bypassed my dealer and went straight to Ford Customer Service. They were VERY helpful and caring. Got back to me immediately after researching the matter...
Thanks for the recommendation, Paul. I’m confident your dealer will take care of you. :)

Ford customer service contacted me and contacted my dealer before I even brought my Explorer in...
I appreciate you taking the time to keep us in the loop, JH2011. Let me know if you’d like any more details forwarded before your next follow-up.

Cory

Back